First post

My son, Alden, was diagnosed Sept. 2, 2008. It’s been a mere month now.

He has moments of utter despair and anger that break my heart, but most of the time he has handled this with incredible grace and courage. He gives himself the four injections a day - I think it is his way of having some measure of control. We are fortunate in so many ways: his teachers at school are wonderfully understanding, we have decent insurance, we don’t live a hundred years ago…

The onset of symptoms to diagnosis was about ten days. In hindsight, it was going on longer, but who would be alarmed by lots of water drinking with an active kid in summer time…? I still feel guilty, for the five days that I spent in denial, with that little voice in the back of my head saying, “Could this be - - ?” before I called his doctor:

We went in the morning and there was sugar in his urine. Then, dropped his brother at a neighbor’s house, an hour’s drive to the endocrinologist in Albany. I called my husband from the parking lot of Appleby’s, said, “Alden has diabetes.” His blood glucose was 860.

Hardest moments so far:

• That first night home, the Lantus shot before bed, Alden screaming at me, “No, not another shot! I’m not doing it, I hate you!”

• Letting him go off to the first day of third grade, two days after being diagnosed. Waiting with my calculator for the call at lunch from the school nurse, to talk through the dose.

• Alden’s first low, a few days ago.

On balance I am impressed and inspired by by family. Alden’s brother Clay has risen to the occasion with maturity, caring and concern. My husband has been level-headed and positive. Aunts and Uncles have called with their love and support. … Many new friends at this website, thank you, thank you for being here.

Nina-

Hello! You are a strong person and a great mother. I couldn’t imagine my little girl with Diabetes at a young age.
Tell Alden I didn’t want to give myself a shot either (1st) my husband had to help me. Continue to stay positive, diabetes does have ups and downs but Alden has a good support system and you have your new Family here at Tudiabetes.

Cherise

Hallo Nina,
First do not feel guilty and never again. You are wonderful family.Alden is doing great,he can join in activities advocating for diabetes in his school and other events.Whenever some of my pateints rebel and feel frustrated I ask them to give talks at their schools,attend events and so on even at young age…
Best wishes for all.

I hope you will find a diabetes camp for Alden to attend next summer. It is such an experience being with so many kids with the same issues. You are so normal at diabetes camp. I was diagnosed at age 6 (38 years ago). Attended diabetes camp starting at age 8. It was paradise.
Cherise is right. Sounds like he has excellent support. Keep up the good work!
Take care-
Dena

Nina,

I can only imagine all the emotions that you are dealing with now. There is SO much to figure out in the first months. Trust that you, your son, and your family will find your routine and your “normal” life with diabetes.

Have you looked for a support group in the area? It will be a huge help to you and your son to meet with other diabetic kids and parents. I find that diabetes is so much easier to deal with when you are not alone! There are a lot of great support groups through JDRF. Check out their website here and you can search for groups nearby by selecting your state then then closest city. If you write an email, they can tell you where the groups are.

Feel free to vent and use this community as a resource anytime. We know that what you are dealing with is not easy! I think that all of you will go through many waves of emotion related to your son’s diagnosis. Just know that we are here and we want to help!!

If there is one thing I’m grateful for, it’s that Eric was diagnosed before he ever had a chance to really experience life without diabetes. He’ll grow up knowing nothing else and as much as he dislikes the shots, by the time he’s your son’s age, it will be a matter of usual routine for him. He already holds out his hand for the glucose stick!