FIrst Pump

First Pump

A month or so ago a neighbor of ours bought a brand new car, but because the dealer would not give him much for his car he kept the old one. Despite having a two car garage my neighbor could not fit both in the garage.

Instead, of driving the new one he keeps the new one in the garage and parks the older one (a pretty beat up blue Ford) behind the new one in the driveway. What this means is that if they go somewhere, about 99% of the time they take ‘old blue’ (my name for the old car). A few days ago, I was outside and I heard his wife and he speaking loudly about the “car issue”. It seems she wanted to drive the new one and he was saying that old one had to be moved, and moving it was a hassle.

Well they resolved the matter like most couples I know. Thewwwwwwy took the new one. As he backed the old car out of the drive he said to me, I hate that new car. Of course he doesn’t. A few days before he was telling all about the new car and its options and improvements over ’old Blue’ he sure seemed to like the new car when I talked to him.

Personally I would have junked “old Blue” several years ago, and the fact that the dealer didn’t want it, was no surprise for me. Frankly had the dealer taken it, I am sure it would have been as a favor.

I could relate to my neighbors issue. I have used a pump for about 11 years and I got it after about 26 years of being a Type 1 diabetic. I really saw no reason to change, despite my doctor asking, my wife asking and me thinking about it. Still going off of MDI (I was using 6 to 7 injections a day) was very uncomfortable for me.

Oh I had all the issues that come with MDI. Carrying cold packs, hauling packages of needles, worrying about insulin longevity was more than a small issue. Still I was reluctant and most of the time I was belligerent in my refusal.

The real turning point came when I was meeting with a group of High School age diabetics. This group of six young people invited an old fart over to talk about things. I had no wisdom for them, but they had wisdom for me. Of the seven diabetics in the room 6 wore pumps and 1cl;aimed he had never even once taken an injection. Someone asked another if they had syringes in the house in case their pump failed. The young woman who was asked that question said no, after six months when she went on pump therapy she and mom threw them all away. She could not remember when outside that first six months she had ever taken an injection.

I went home and three days later I was at my endocrinologist office and I told him I wanted a pump. He eased back in his chair and asked me why? I told the truth, I had been with this group and I was so far behind in technology, I had to get with it. He laughed and said he always wondered why a guy who liked tech was still taking injections.

I still remember two things. The day I told my wife I wanted a pump, she was so happy, I could still see the look on her face. It was as if she thought he finally heard me. The second day was when my new pump arrived. I was so excited.

Since that time I have had two more pumps and of course like most folks I love being on the pump. Recently my pump broke and I thought I was not going to make it until the new pump arrived. Today if I could see those young adults again I would say thank you for doing in a few minutes what I struggled with for a few years.

-30-

Rick

I had a similar experience. A friend I worked with said "you should check out pumps, my wife has one, she's a huge fan" so we went to dinner and she pretty much sold it as it fit very well with where I was heading with the Tae Kwon Do classes and generally trying to be healthier. I was floored at how much more awesome it was.

I still have a huge box of syringes in my garage...