First time to choose a pump

My 15 year old is a new T1D (5mo). She has been wearing (AND loving) a Dexcom G5 since around a month after diagnosis. She is currently honeymooning and rocking a A1C of 5.8. While her numbers are good now, and she is on very minimal insulin requirements, she does still struggle with highs, overnight rises, and lows. She is moving to a pump and we just went to our information session. She is leaning towards a TSlim X2 but I was intrigued by the closed loop hybrid G70. She does not want to leave her Dexcom but I wonder if the hormome fluctuations, late night eating, teen age life she lives will be better handled from a closed loop than from constantly having to change basal rates in a TSlim. I would really appreciate any help as we navigate this. Being married to a pump for 4 years is a big commitment for her!!

What is the lowest Total Daily Dose (TDD) of insulin she currently uses? (Basal + Bolus)
(“minimal insulin” can certainly have different interpretations!!!)

Clip of black box FDA warning from Metronic MiniMed 670G
"This device should also not be used in patients who require less than a total daily insulin dose of 8 units per day because the device requires a minimum of 8 units per day to operate safely."

The Tandem t:slim X2 is capable of receiving remote updates so this could hedge your bets against a concern of getting locked in to a particular fixed technology for the next 4 years.

https://www.tandemdiabetes.com/about-us/pipeline

1 Like