Five Stages of Acceptance

I have been a person with diabetes more than 40 years, and I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) for about 15 years. During that time I have come to understand that disease is as much an emotional journey as a physical one. The emotional journey is often a twisted road with many detours. I believe it is one all people with chronic disease must undertake in order to maximize their life.

3 Likes

No, absolutely not. I deny any emotions! :rage:

3 Likes

Thanks for writing about this. I’ve personally felt I went through these stages after my diagnosis. I found the book by Elisabeth Kübler-Ross called “On Death and Dying” very insightful. It was Dr. Kübler-Ross that first explored those fives stages of grief. I like to spell denial as D’Nial to give it diabetes context. These just seem so appropriate for the feelings we have as we come to terms with our diabetes, particularly as adults.

1 Like

AR -

You’re cruisin’ the River of D’Nile, aren’t ya? Just be careful, I hear you may run up on a bassinet with a baby Charleston Heston in it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sorry couldn’t resist, bad Kate.

1 Like

I am surfing on the waves when he parts the sea… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@acidrock23
LOL Dude!

Knarly, hang 10, but isn’t surfing D Nile dangerous? Like crocodiles? Sounds dangerous to me until i do i am keeping my feet in the boat moon doggie

1 Like

Too right! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor???

2 Likes

“Hell No!”

Anyway, it’s not diabetes, its a very naughty pancreas…

When my young acquaintance Billy, showed up at my house and was angry, it was over. That guy and his brother (Jerry) was just plum mean and if one didn’t beat you the otehr one did. So like crocodiles, when the Brothers showed up it was over. Trust me that was better than fighting. I know, I know but I speak from experience.

Rick