Flash Freezing Insulin to store indefinately

I have seen this patent from the 70’s where it is shown that flash freezing insulin is usable after 30 days. Has anyone used flash frozen insulin past 30 days? I would like to stop throwing away expired insulin and instead store them. I know that the slow freezing process crystallizes the molecules–thereby damaging the structure and by extension–the effectiveness. This patent is proof of concept that flash freezing can minimize the damaging aspect of slow freezing.

I would like to hear of real-world accounts if there are any.

https://www.google.com/patents/US3683635

It is a completely different kind of insulin. 1972 insulins were made of beef and pork products. Modern insulins have no relation to them. Please only follow manufacturer instructions for storage of your insulin.

I suppose that is essentially my question. Is modern day insulin able to be flash frozen for indefinite or long term storage as older insulin of the 70s? Obviously you should always follow label instructions–I’m just curious as to the feasibility in extreme situations.

1 Like

No under no circumstances should insulin ever be frozen. It is not even a close call, it ruins the insulin.

No, we don’t know whether flash freezing insulin ruins the insulin. Flash freezing is not the same process as the slow freezing process in an ordinary freezer. As far as I know, no research has been done on this topic. The process described in the patent (quoted below) might also apply to modern insulin analogs, but I would not try it until research has confirmed that it works.

Current practice and regulation prohibits freezing insulin because of physical and chemical deterioration, and the consequent loss of physiological activity, which occur during the freezing process. Such prohibitions have heretofore been wise and necessary and remain so if proper freezing technique is not employed since deteriorated insulin will not effectively arrest the diabetic condition, resulting in a coma or death. It has been found, however, that if the freezing process is sufficiently rapid, the deterioration which occurs under normal freezing processes does not occur, and the insulin retains its full potency and efficacy.

Maybe this is something I could experiment with. In searching the web, I was hoping to find that somebody else had tried it already. @Rphil2 do you know if modern insulin is ruined via flash freezing? [quote=“Rphil2, post:5, topic:58789, full:true”]
No under no circumstances should insulin ever be frozen. It is not even a close call, it ruins the insulin.
[/quote]

I would like to know the sources if you could elaborate. I know slow freezing ruins the insulin, but that is not what I am referring to.

Thanks!