-----Flatliners Club-----

With numbers like that, you’ve earned your ticket! That’s a nice 7-day line.

I enjoyed an excellent New Year’s Eve …

… while just two days before I was dealing with this:

Those overnight and next evening hyper-excursions taught me yet again that even lots of extra insulin will not always keep you in range.

Anyone else want to share some holiday BG excellence or humility?

My primary computer is unavailable, so I can’t upload data… My NYE was a mess, though not holiday-related. Went to a wedding and all I had were some hors d’ourves – and my BG spiked to over 350! Not impressive to some, but that’s the highest number I’ve seen since diagnosis. Came down just as quickly, thankfully (and without a rebound hypo!), but set me off for the rest of the weekend - didn’t take much to push me back up again that night or the next day.

Even though we never want to be that high, it’s always nice to be able to bring it down quickly and level out short of a hypo.

Is it posible that the wedding hyper might have been caused by adrenaline or stress?

Anything is possible, though I didn’t feel stressed and didn’t stay beyond the ceremony, so I don’t think there was much of an adrenaline rush… I’m sure there were plenty of carbs in the hors d’ourves, and, though I bolused for them, it’s difficult to guesstimate catered food. As you said, I was glad I landed safely - that’s a pretty big win.

I said I’d post that awful day when I could, so here it is, I hope to never have a repeat of this (though, of course, don’t we all?):

I don’t think anyone with diabetes can avoid an occasional major hyperglycemia event. You recovered quite nicely, however. I can remember many time before I started on a CGM that a high like you had led me to over-treating, going low, and then high again. And that could go on for 12 hours or more!

Last Sunday I changed infusion sets at the same time as I changed my CGM sensor. I finger-poked during the two hour CGM blackout and I watched my blood glucose go up, up, up. I topped out at 219 (12.2) and guessed that my newly placed infusion site might be faulty. When I swapped it out early, a light tint of blood in the cannula confirmed my suspicion. I was out of range (>140, 7.8) for 4.5 hours. Argh!

I used Afrezza and one IM shot to return me to range. This chance event reinforced my philosophy to take full credit when I’m in range and simply blame it on diabetes when I’m out of range. Many things are out of our control when it comes to glucose metabolism.

Just after new years I had to take a test for my doctor and it involved drinking 1 and a half cans of Boost so about 50 fast acting carbs, and since I’m on a very low carb diet it basically ruined my day. It shot me up to over 400 and it took me all day to get my BG back in range even though I took plenty of insulin to cover the drink when I did the test. So don’t feel bad diabetes likes to kick our butts for funsys.

They wouldn’t let you prebolus?

I did but I don’t usually count carbs because nothing in my diet really requires me to, so very little experience with my new insulins and high carb foods. So even though I gave enough rapid insulin I think my basal wasn’t adjusted enough to handle it.

Basal should usually only be managing background insulin needs - and should not be adjusted to cover carbs. That said, on shots, you don’t have some of the options (like extended boluses and temp basals) that people using a pump have, so sometimes it might be difficult without adjusting basals.

Seems to me that since going on a low-carb diet (most of the time, anyway), I am more sensitive to small amounts of carbs than I was before that diet change. On the other hand, this recent event was the first time I’ve seen such a high sensitivity to carbs when I’ve had a higher-carb meal. Could be a matter of overall complexity of the food I ate – or something else (like everything diabetes-related…)

Just started with fiasp. I am about day 5 now.
While not a perfect flatline, this graph shows 24 hours and some decent carbs and some foods (deep fried chicken strips,) so how well this is controlled given the circumstances make it GREAT for me!

Nice line! What adjustments to pump settings did you find you had to make?

Nice! My endo gave me one PEN worth of Fiasp to try - which I think is just too little for a trial. My son is going to Canada in a couple weeks - I’m going to try and get him to pick some up for me - make it a real trial, anyway…

So far, I have only changed my time to 3.5 hours.
Corrections are about the same as Novolog was. But the time/action for a meal bolus has been VERY nice so far.
I failed on pizza on Saturday. But part was my fault for eating twice as much as I should have. I also didn’t do a second bolus later on for protein/fat like I normally do.

I think two or three vials would provide for a solid trial of fiasp.
I have two vials, so this should be a good test for me.

Well done, @Hammer! It’d be great to see your data for that line, like time in range %, standard deviation, and average BG. You can tell just by looking at the line that the numbers are good, but I enjoy them nonetheless.

I hope the Fiasp continues to perform for you. I’ve read some other accounts with mixed results.

To be honest, my first part of my trial, I just wanted to see if it works for me. Random stuff that I’ve eaten before, etc. I will start doing better number crunching later on.

And today so far.

Your numbers are great! Has Fiasp given you a big improvement over your former insulin? Or has it only simplified and improved the prebolusing and meal rise aspect?