-----Flatliners Club-----

I experience much the same when I fast. No matter how crazy diabetes can get, I feel I have the ultimate reset button with fasting. Yeah, your basal rate looks great.

There are a couple times it looks like your BG is headed down rapidly but then stops. Did you treat those with anything? Or do you think your body self-corrected and prevented a low?

The times I’ve tried fasting I’m always stopped by a huge spike at breakfast, or by a sudden low. My BG has an annoying trend of flatlining but then very suddenly plummeting low with the slightest bit of activity.

I did no treatments of any kind. The nighttime quick drops were just hazards of being a deep-but-mobile sleeper :slight_smile: Theafternoon one corrected itself.

xdrip-2018-09-23

Here’s mine. Target range is 70-150. Most days more or less look like this, since I reduced my carb consumption to less than 100g on average. I combine the carb with protein and fats and fiber. Also, I always pre-bolus (it is really very important - I usually wait for 15 minutes after injection). And, yeah, I am still honeymooning, but it mostly helps with basal, not bolus, since the first phase insulin response is pretty much gone (meaning that I easily spike to 190 or higher if don’t diligently pre-bolus). Oh, and I use Tresiba and Humalog.

In the graph, you can see a small accident with breakfast (miscalculated a bit for the bread), otherwise smooth sailing. I ate some yoghurt and ate some chocolate at about 18:30. Lunch was zero-carb. No dinner today, because lunch filled me up plenty. Average BG today so far is 86 mg/dL. Last HbA1c was 5.2%, time in range 99%.

Most days more or less look like this by now. Carb reduction and pre-bolus are key. If I ate the standard diet, I’d be consuming >200g of carbs per day, and could never ever achieve anything remotely like this.

Also, I had moderately higher swings when I was using Lantus, and have become a big fan of Tresiba. Plus, I started to exercise regularly, which helps a lot. The insulin works faster and more intensely. I’m still just doing basic stuff, but basic exercise still exhausts me quite a bit and jacks up insulin sensitivity considerably. Prior to that, I wasn’t moving much, and had a harder time with the mealtime insulin.

Congrats on your excellent results! Your deliberate use of carb limits, pre-bolusing, and daily exercise tell me that you have found good results from careful observation and discipline. Keep up the good work!

Well, a lot going on with me now. I was diagnosed with coronary artery disease last month. That has caused me to re-examine my every health practice.

I still think aiming for the best glucose levels you reasonably can is a good idea. As a result of this new diagnosis, I decided to eliminate all grains and extra sugar in my diet. These last three days are the best numbers I’ve posted, ever. Turns out I had an extra gear I didn’t know I had!

I don’t post this to discourage anyone in any way. I realize that diabetes doesn’t play fairly and some people can’t do this. I’m lucky in this way. I just want to show what is possible in some people. I’m sure I’m not a unique case.

I’ve also learned that good blood glucose can not protect you from every bad health outcome. I’m here to tell you, however, that I do feel better painting these lines. Blood glucose control is an essential element of a larger current effort to slow down my heart disease.

Time in range: 99%
Time hypo: < 1%
Standard Deviation: 14 mg/dL
BG average: 87 mg/dL

I wish you peace.

Wow, that is incredible. I’m sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but glad that you’ve discovered another strategy for good blood sugar management.

I’m curious, are you going to continue a low-carb diet in light of this diagnosis?

I recently saw a cardiologist and she said that I should avoid red and processed meat (which I already do as I have an immediate family history of colon cancer). I’m currently re-evaluating my diet in light of my health (which has worsened in recent months), and although I will likely return to a somewhat low-carb diet to assist in blood sugar management, I’m going to do so with an effort to avoid red and processed meat as well as saturated fat. (I also recently started on a cholesterol medication after seeing the cardiologist.)

Thank-you for your comments, Jen. I think we each must pick our own path through myriad health/lifestyle choices.

For me, I will now choose to avoid anything with grains. I will also avoid anything that’s processed with added sugars. I’m of the opinion that grains and sugars have caused much of health havoc of the last 100 years.

I will still eat saturated fat because I don’t think that’s part of the problem. I do agree with you, as much as I like bacon, processed meats are probably good to avoid or minimize.

You have so many dietary balls to juggle, it makes me dizzy just thinking about it! You are young and smart, however, and that will see you through. I do think that diet plays a large role in most chronic health conditions.

It is hard to tease out exact causes, but in the four or so months I’ve gone off a low-carb diet, my weight has ballooned by 30 pounds. It’s hard to tell if this is from the change in diet or the fact that my thyroid has tanked, or both. But a big part of the reason I’m returning to a low-carb diet is to get this under control, as well as better control of my blood sugar. I’ve also been having a lot of digestive issues, heart arrhythmias, extreme fatigue, and nutritional deficiencies, so there may be something more complicated going on.

I’m surprised to hear that you ate grains while eating low-carb. I avoided all grains while I was doing so. In my new appraoch I won’t be quite so strict, and I’ll avoid grains while at home but likely eat some types of types of lower-GI grains and legumes (like quinoa, red lentils, chickpea, or black beans) and oatmeal when travelling or on the very rare occasion I eat out.

It is definitely difficult to read all the conflicting information and research out there these days to come to a conclusion about what to eat that’s right for each of us.

I severely limited portion quantity. I would only eat 1/4 of the total English muffin when I ate a Starbucks breakfast sandwich. If I ate rice, I would limit to a quarter cup. Likewise, with crackers, I limited portions to a cracker or three.

For these last several years my daily carb intake was usually in the 50-100 grams per day, a generous limit, but still within my ability to effectively dose insulin. But the Bernstein adherents don’t think much of that 50-100 grams/day tactic, I know. Now I am busy waving a flag from their camp!

The diabetes deities must feel sorry for me today! Best glucose day in 35 years.

58%20PM

After years of struggling with the mountains and pitfalls of BG values I have found what works best for me, my body, and my BG. These graphs are today’s 3,6,12, and 24 hour lines (with 3 meals and a 30 minute workout) from my Dexcom G6 when on a 30 net carb a day diet. I’m not sure if I am currently in ketosis, but a ketogenic diet makes my BG worlds better! My mental health also gets a big boost when following these guidelines as my BG rarely goes low, and if it does, It is easily fixed with a spoonful of peanut butter and a 30min-60min suspension of basal insulin. I’ve been here in the past, but have struggled to maintain this type of diet. My hope is that I will find the value of steady and consistent BG to be greater than my love for carbs… Only time will tell.

Well done, @Through_Hiker84! Those are very nice lines. Better yet, I like the metabolic peace it represents. I know it’s hard to cut back on carbs for the first few weeks but then my carb-hungry devil seems to quiet and I need very little willpower to sustain.

A no-hitter with a BG average of 93 (5.2) and a standard deviation of 11 (0.6) is incredible control.

Congrats!

Yes, congratulations!

Thank you! I see from a few posts above that you had your best BG day too recently! Congrats on that! I appreciate the words on carb cravings as well. This gives me hope that I can stick with this type of diet and keep my BG in this realm.

@Through_Hiker84 - Well done! Just stick to the LC (Keto-ish) diet. The cravings pass completely after 4-8 weeks depending on your genome.

I’ve been on Keto for 3 months now (<20 gms carbs/d). If you’re wondering if you’re in Ketosis, go grab a meter. They give the Libre Keto meter away for free when you buy 10 ketone strips (Canada).

My target blood sugar has dropped significantly and is now in mid 4’s (mmol/L), and I rarely exceed 6 (108mg/dl).

Reducing carbs has given me remarkable control, and I’ve tried all sorts of things over 55yrs.

The coronary artery disease may not even be related to diabetes. With such a good control, it becomes difficult to discern if diabetes is a cause or not.

While your control looks very good, I can’t quite tell with the y-axis markings if you went low around 5-6 a.m. I know I start to get physical symptoms around 3.6 mmol/L (65) and it looks like you went lower than that. The rest of that line looks superb, especially the lack of variability. I agree that eating fewer carbs makes it so much easier to stay in a good range. Congrats on sustaining your new way of eating for three months!

I appreciate your sentiment, @athx9891. I don’t think it’s possible to separate out one contributory factor and assign primary resposibility to it. I do know that the primary cause of death for a significant percentage of people with diabetes is heart disease related. Diabetes is a large risk factor for heart disease. At this point it is not important for me to determine actual causes, I just want to slow its progression.

I don’t want to sidetrack the flatliner discussion, so If anyone wants to make further comments about heart disease and diabetes, feel free to comment at this thread.