Flu Shot

Teen son & I got our flu vaccine tonite @the pharmacy. Insurance covered both of us--a nice surprise. Someone in line said many other pharmacies had run out.

I've been getting flu shots since I was diagnosed about 7 years ago. It just seems prudent.

Diagnosed in 1983 and a flu shot ever since ...so does my Hubby , who is a Senior as well ...so far so good !!

I get the flu shot every year. It's an easy thing to do and it prevents a whole lot of suffering given the BG implications. The flu kills a lot of people every year.

Every flu shot protects against the three most prevalent strains of the flu from the year before. So if you get the flu shot for 20 years, you're protected against 50 or so strains (they repeat them sometimes). As a result, it's smarter to get it every year.

I get the flu shot every year, and I have for as long as I can remember. It's safer this way--I'm not interested in giving my body a reason to get sick. It does that enough on its own. My internist sometimes gives them to me or my endo does (I love that my endo's office does it! one less doctor's appt).

Just remember to get the injection and not the flu-mist. Diabetics aren't supposed to get the flu-mist.

Yes! My doctor really insisted. So far, so good (for the past 3 yrs)

thanks, everyone! you've all convinced me...I will get the flu shot...for some reason I'm nervous about this, just dislike taking stuff and have heard many people get the shot and then get the flu right afterwards. did anyone notice any effect on blood sugars after shot? I have a cold right now, at least hope it's just 'a cold', got it from my CDE..ha! and we both wore masks. Don't think they'll give the flu shot if one is sick...so I'll have to wait. thanks again!

This year was the first time I ever experienced flu like symptoms after getting the shot. I just slept it off & woke up fine. No effect on BS that I remember.

As you, I was nervous & hesitant until my Dr. gave me some stats & talked me into it. I'm happy I get it each year now.

I had some flu like symptoms a couple of days ago which resolved in a single day but my basal needs are up 50-60% still. On the other hand, my business partner had what may have been the same stomach flu earlier this winter and was very sick for three days and ended up very dehydrated which is much more dangerous. Mitigation is sometimes as important as total prevention.

It's important to remember that many people call minor viruses "flu" that are not a true influenza. Strains like the H1N1, the Spanish flu that killed 50 million people, the Asian Flu and the Hong Kong flu are much more serious than a minor stomach bug. Those are the epidemics we are trying to prevent.

You can't get the flu from the flu injection, but you can potentially get a mild flu after the nasal mist.

The flu injection is a dead virus--it's there to elicit an immune response without any potential for making the person sick. The flu-like symptoms (and increased basal rate) people have after the injection is from the body's response. Some parts of the flu (like fever) aren't caused by the virus but by your body's response to it. (I think the achiness might also be from this, but I'm not sure.) You aren't contagious if you get "sick" after the vaccine, but you might not feel well for a few days.

I've personally never experienced it, and neither has anyone else in my family. I've known some people who have, but I don't think it's as common as people like to believe it is.

And, FYI, the reason why people can get sick from the flu mist is because it's a partially dead virus. That's why people who are immunocompromised and people with chronic diseases shouldn't get it--the potential for infection is high and for that population the risk of complications from the flu is high, too.

I get it every year for a couple of reasons: My doctor recommends that I do and it couldn't be more convenient ... my office hosts several "flu shot days" each fall.

Only side effect I’ve ever had, and have come to expect, is a little muscle soreness in my arm at injection site

Ditto. This year's hurt more than usual, and it got hot and red. All of that is indicative of an immune response, and it happened to my sister, too, so at least I know it wasn't an allergy.

You can have a reaction to either the live-virus or virus particle versions. It all depends on your immune system and your unique physiology.

The symptoms are not caused by the virus; rather, they are the body's reaction to the infection. Any time your immune system reacts to something you can have no, mild, or severe symptoms.

I have a very mild reaction to the flu shot more often than not, but we're talking exceedingly mild... unusual fatigue, headache, slight fuzzy-headed. Clears up in 24-36 hours.

I'll take that any day over the flu itself!

Sarah:
Some differences of opinions, but health professionals routinely recommend the shot. And yes, I've gotten my shot - this year and every year. BTW, it's not too late for this year's flu season. See http://www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/c/110/163107/coming-flu-season and the hyperlinks at the end...
Bill
William W. Quick, MD, FACP, FACE
Editor, D-is-for-Diabetes.com

Reaction" Yes. Actual flu infection from virus particle or dead virus? No.

Every November, for as long as I can remember, my mother starts nagging me about the flu shot. A couple years ago I got one before she asked (for the first time ever), and called her to crow about it.

me: "Mom, I got my flu shot already!"

mom: "That's great, dear!"

me: "Did you get yours yet?"

mom: "Oh I never get that thing. I hear it really hurts!"

Oh that is hysterical, Emily!