Flu Vaccine Twitter chat with the CDC

Please join the CDC tomorrow, September 29, 2015 at 1:00 PM ET for a twitter chat focused on the Flu Vaccine.

Join moderator Dr. Richard Besser, ABC’s chief health and medical editor, to talk all about the flu vaccine and this upcoming flu season. Researchers, clinicians, bloggers and patients themselves are all invited to participate.

Details
Tuesday, September 29th
1:00-2:00 PM, ET
Hashtag: #abcDRBchat
Moderator @abcDRBchat

Let your followers know that joining the conversation is easy. This link explains how to get onto the chat in 3 easy steps!

Tweet Chat Directions

Please read through the following outline for how to participate in our Tweet Chat.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to: Jessica.Puckett@abc.com.

1. Make sure you have an active Twitter Account
  2. Sign into tweetchat.com at 12:45 pm, ET day of chat. If unavailable,
    try Twubs.com, Oneqube.com or tweetdeck.com
  3. Once you are signed in, tweet comments, facts, images, videos, and
    vines as often as you like! Be sure to use the hashtag (#abcDRBchat)
    and the “T” for Topic in each tweet. Please note that topics are not
    available ahead of the chat.

I am afraid I might never get to the point where this sort of “discussion” is useful to me. Whenever I attempt to follow something like this it is akin to trying to listen to one conversation in a room where a 1,000 people are all talking simultaneously about different things.

So far I just don’t see what the point is. I find it impossible to put anything together into a useful thread of discussion. :disappointed:

To be honest, @irrational_John, I’m with you. I don’t understand twitter chats. But I know a LOT of people who do, and who find them invaluable!! Maybe you and I need a tutorial :wink:

Well, more power to them! But I just don’t see myself ever being able to figure out how to use them.

For me it’s like trying to drink from the proverbial fire hose. Worse, I have no way to know who to trust. There is a plethora of names, some with job titles, et cetera, rushing past. But I don’t know how much trust I can place in anything they say. :disappointed:

I guess I just was never properly socialized and at this point there is probably no catching it up. :smirk:

sorry I missed it. I’m just now looking at the tweets and some very good links that were tweeted along. You can see what what was said by searching for the hashtag #abcdrbchat. here’s a couple of points made

1. this season’s vaccines have been updated to better match circulating viruses
    http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/vaccine-selection.htm

2. when young adults get their shot, it’s older adults who benefit the most
    http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/09/when-young-adults-get-flu-shots-older-adults-benefit-best/

3. MYTH: Flu shot gives you flu. FACT: Impossible for the flu shot to give you influenza, it does not contain live virus #abcdrbchat

4. Greater risk of flu complications=age 65+ & those w/chronic conditions like asthma, COPD, diabetes and heart disease

5. Flu is not just common cold. Flu can be severe respiratory illness, and can lead to complications or even death.

some very good credentialed people were doing most of the talking, including the American Lung Association (@LungAssociation), @ClevelandClinic, @AmerAcadPeds, @CDCFlu, and various doctors and pediatricians.

People were asking questions and also responding to various prompts, which were numbered.

@askmanny got me seriously into twitter around about 2007. he’s a very good follow and has thousands of followers himself ( he doesn’t follow everyone, though). if you are interested in getting started on twitter, I’d be willing to help answer any questions. I’m @MarieBe, tweeting mostly about diabetes, art, cooking, politics and local news. Twitter is fun! and it’s really great on your smartphone. I also like to follow the action at big meetings and conventions like Friends for Life, because organizers always decide on a hashtag for the event, and you can then see what EVERYONE is saying about it, not just the ppl you follow.

our @diabeteshf has 25.6K followers, so quite a reach. we follow approx 2600. We do get a lot of attention during #BigBlueTest time for our community.
Also on World Diabetes Day (there might be a specific hashtag for 2015, but I don’t see it yet) but search for #WDD and you’ll see scads of cool info. last year, we briefly were a a Twitter “Trending Topic” on Nov 14. it was very exciting.

2 Likes