Flying with Diabetes

you thought of everything!

me too- ive never had problems either. the minute they see your stuff they dont seem to even care to listen to you explain what it’s for.

when i travel overseas i always bring letter head with typed note from doctor saying what i need the supplies for. the more official it looks the better off you’ll be. also, some of those 3rd world countries are WAY more lax then here in the U.S.- i was in Papua New Guinea in 07 and there was a lady trying to bring a machete on as carryon. we walked right on with our bottled water etc.

Ive gone to many countries since being diagnosed and carried 2.5 months of supplies on the longest trip- no one ever gave me crap. just bring a script/note in case

if they are worried about how much you are bringing just tell them how long you’ll be there and if you have return itinerary on hand that will be proof

x2

The new rule is they are to swipe any insulin pump they see for explosives. I totally didn’t buy it on another message board when some guy was stating this but a) it is on some new list of TSA rules posted online and b) it happened to me at the Ft. Walton Beach airport. What I gather is that the only TSA people who will do this are those at small airports who are bored to tears b/c there is never anybody in line. I have never had this happen anywhere else I’ve flown, b/c frankly, they’re too freaking busy at larger airports to take the 5 minutes to swipe for explosives. I’m not sure what made this change happen, but it’s there now. Just hide your pump and hope the detector doesn’t go off.

i don’t think it would be a good idea to try and hide a pump. even if you do forget to announce you have one, you run the risk of extra hassle if it does set the machines off. It’s always been the easiest to just announce the pump and wear it on my belt loop so i can easily show them. I like avoiding having them probe me or ask me to take anything off so they can “thoroughly” search me because they didn’t know about the pump and now they think i was trying to sneak something possible dangerous on a plane. But i live in DC, so although i have never had any trouble, i’ve also had some of the most strict tsa people a few times

If that is so… That is a form of discremination which is not only against city, state, and FEDERAL LAW she needs to file a complant. If she would like she can give me her flight info and where it happened at and I will make the complante for her

So this is my List of What I am taking… Tell me what you thank

Taking to Houston…

Clothes
2 blue Jeans
2 Capri’s
1 slacks
1 nice shirt
6 T-shirts
Swim Sute
2 flip flops
black flats
4 Bra’s/ 7 underwear
Socks/Knee Highs

Medicine
Minimed Pump
6 infusion sets/resivors
Omnipod Pump
6 Pods
1 box of alcohol whips
12 IV 3000
Freestyle Flash Meter
2 bottles of strips
Box of Gauze
Travel pack of Latex-Free Gloves
Latex- Free Bandaids
Deotorant
10 100u Syringes
10 50 u Syringes
1 vial Levemar
2 vial Humalog

Documants
ATM Card
1 Credit Card
Driver’s License
Military ID
Passport
Hidden House Key
$20 in cash

you could fly lighter if you only bring one bra , liners for your panties …ie fewer panties…I guess , I should ask how long are you away from home base ?? Are you willing to do a bit of laundrey …then laundrey soap .Why would you need your passport , if you have your drivers licence and you live in the USA …I should have read your profile first ?? How about a good pair of walking shoes ??..Have fun in Houston …never been there …yes to the Housten in BC, Canada

Dear Nel

The 5 ml of alcohol are in a very small nalgene bottle from mountain co-op the opening fits thightly around the lantus vial so I can disinfect the rubber before drawing the insulin.

I will be gone for 1 week. I will have no way to do laudrey so that is out…

I ALWAYS take my passport when I am going more then 150miles away from home. It was grained into me as a child infact; I normally carry it with me even if I am in town… The new military id’s no longer have you SS# on them so I can only use that as an ID for “Safe Haven” or to get on the local military bases.

The black flats are my good walking shoes. Although I really will not be walking… to much. I guess I could bring 1 bra seeing I will be wearing one… And the extra underwear was also grained into me as a child being an Army Brat…

That’s interesting Anthony …I never disinfect the rubber of the vial before drawing insulin …havre I missed an important step ???

Dear Nel.

If you have not disinfected your vials all these years with no problems then it is not a necessary step. My friend Dr. Cox suggested that in the case of a vial that is used many times to avoid spoiling the insulin.

Flew from Calgary to Franckfort and then to Copenhagen and from Stockholm to Heathrow and then back to Calgary. No one showed in interest in the insulin vials nor the syringes. Frio bag was useful as the weather in Copenhagen and Stockholm was unpleasantly scorching at least by Calgary standards.

A little off topic but on your list I saw IV 3000 Dressing - do you use that with your omnipod? Someone told me I should try putting that on my skin first before I put the omnipod on because my skin is so sensitive and the adhesive from the omnipod is irritating my skin…do you think that this would work well?

Nancy,

I use the 4 by 4.5 with my omnipod. I put it on before I put the pod on. The only reason I use it is because the pod never stays for me then a couple hours if I don’t put it on.