Food Quantity

I’m wondering if anybody has a method for accounting for food quantity. Dr. Bernstein’s Chinese Restaurant Syndrome is based on glucagon released due to food consumption – quantity. He states that eating pebbles will cause a BG rise. We type 1’s also do not produce anyamylin which supresses this response. We have a runaway making glucose factory. I experience this, and I throw on extra units for large meals. Subway salads for instance need 7u at lunch, yet I can’t account for 70g TAG. I don’t like counting mixed salads though.

Any experiences with quantity variations?

Personally I use 58% for protein and 10% for fat. Not having great luck, so I may try this 40/40. I too low carb.

Hi there -

My take on Dr. Bernstein’s Chinese Restaurant Syndrome is simply this - don’t gorge yourself (you know, to the point where you say at the end, OMG, I’m a stuffed little piggie)

Once again, everyone is different, but for my own mixed salads (without meat), I allow 10 carbs for a healthy sized salad bowl - and that works for me. But I understand that your salads include proteins.

For something that comes from a national chain, I look it up online. For example, I enjoy MacDonald’s Southwest Salad (without that awful dressing) and Wendy’s BLT salad - both are online and I have found that what they posted was very accurate. Here’s the link for Subway salads - http://www.subway.com/applications/NutritionInfo/nutritionlist.aspx…

If your salad requires 7 U, it may be due to the protein spike (always requires more insulin if I am coming from behind). So it may be an issue of extending the bolus to avoid a spike - that too, is an important part of TAG - so bolusing for the carbs up front (not many in their salads), and extending it for protein/fat. For example, the Oven Roasted Chicken salad. According to their #s, it is

7g carb

19g protein

2.5g fat

That’s a lot of protein and very little carb. For my own tolerances (100% Carb/40% Pro/10% Fat), I would calculate 16.85g total, and at an I:C ratio of 10 and an ISF of 20 (I know - highly insulin resistant), I would bolus as follows:

1.70 U total

.7 U now

1 U over 2 hours

Of course, all of this supposes that your basal, I:C, and ISF numbers are correct from the beginning - as well as your TAG percentages. Hope that helps,

Cheri