Foods bad/unsuitable for Diabetics

i would never give up a food i loved. i would just eat them sparingly.

unless i were REALLY allergic to it. celiac has taken away enough of my favorites without me limiting it further.

I agree with those who said it is not possible to say “this food is bad for all diabetics” or “all diabetics can/should eat this food”. We are all very very different. in what foods we can tolerate in what amounts without spiking our blood sugar. Also, those of us on insulin vary a great deal as well in how much we are willing to eat and bolus for.

My version: I don’t eat sugar at all, because of an eating disorder as well as diabetes. I no longer eat rice either, which at one time was a significant part of my vegetarian diet. Ditto cereal and granola; can’t tolerate enough of a serving to enjoy plus I only like it with fruit and milk or yogurt (with granola). That combination is no longer possible for me. Potatoes, I can do ok with, and will eat a smallish potato as home fries with an omelette on the weekend. Pasta, I’ll eat occasionally if I’m out at a restaurant that is known for their pasta (making it worth it!). At home I don’t bother anymore. Maybe I could eat some of these things if I took enough insulin, but that way is fraught with peril imho so I don’t bother. My limit is 5 units, if I can’t cover it with that, I don’t eat it. I do miss good artisan bread and just realized that I can have a good sandwich for dinner when I have a higher I:C ratio than breakfast (1:18 as opposed to 1:7) so will enjoy a good grilled fontina, mushroom, and roasted red pepper on rye this week!

Bananas never give me problems. I bolus and I’m fine. :slight_smile:

Dino, I think you are just coveting those yummy chips. My blood pressure and everything goes up in the presence of chips that I can’t eat! lol

I don’t eat fruit at all ! I do drink fruit juice ONLY during a severe low. I don’t really miss it. I could balance it in with my insulin but it seems way easier to just avoid it. I enjoy plenty of veggies and supplements though.

If I wasn’t Diabetic I would eat a lot more pasta and brownies. Ugh…I miss brownies.

I give her banana and Peanut butter sandwiches for lunch all the time; along with grapes. No problems. We don’t give fruit alone unless low; we will give the fruit at the end of a meal as dessert, and since it takes her a while to eat, the insulin is peaking when she is eating the fruit.

My dr said no pineapple! Good thing for me I don’t like them lol