Freestyle Libre approved in the US

I dont have a lot of $$ and I dont really want to use already scarred areas. I think, the Libre system looks a bit easier to insert? Good to know tho about Tylenol.

More details (estimated price, effects of Tylenol etc) on the Libre.

1 Like

@Laura_S - For sure the pricing on the Libre is likely what many people are waiting to see how that plays out. If you are unable to get the cgm via insurance then it could certainly be expensive.

On the scarred area, I honestly don’t know the impact of using a cgm sensor in a scarred region. Infusion sets are problematic and leaving an infusion set in too long leads to obvious problems but there seem to be no major issues with leaving cgm sensors in for very extended time periods so it makes me wonder if maybe you could use a sensor in a scarred area without issue?

May I also add, the insertion device and overall depth of the thing gives me the creeps…plus hubby doesn’t like it when my pump alarms go off at night. I’m thinking the Libre will be a little less hassle.

2 Likes

For me, it would likely be quite the reverse. Knowing that the cgm alarms WILL go off at the specified levels allows me to get a good night sleep.

In any event, choice is nice and competition is great.

5 Likes

Jim - I was told the sensor and the battery are exactly the same and they will be submitting additional data for a label change to 14 days. It won’t be shipping in the U.S. until December so we won’t really know if thats true but assuming it is I suspect most PWDs will be using it for the full 2 weeks.

1 Like

Did one of the reps tell you that? I thought the FDA wouldn’t let them have a 14 day label because it’s not as accurate as other sensors (DXCM)

What is your source that the FDA didn’t approve Sensor for 14 days because it isn’t as accurate as other CGM.

1 Like

I’ve seen others suggest that was the reason why. sensor has a 11.4%-11.6% MARD OUS at 14 days w/ 1 hour warm up period. 10 day sensor w/ 12 hour warm up period suggests those were added safety checks by FDA bc MARD would be better

But I am unsure about it all, so that’s why I was asking if a rep was saying that they are filing for a 14 day sensor.

That’s good news. I dont think this would work for me since it doesn’t provide a continuous graph with beeps and you need to scan it constantly. It has no Bluetooth. Having to use an app on a phone is just not reliable. And then it must require a data package and WiFi if no bluetooth? I was getting constant missing signals from the g5 mobile app on my iPad. I’ve stopped using it already. It’s not reliable enough for those of us who have to worry constantly about bad lows and changes we adjust our pump settings to. A low or a high can sneak up on you easily so basically you’d have to feel them coming on and scan to see what’s up. Then also test to confirm it I’m guessing as I need to do with Dex. I’d still like to try it if I could get a sample but Im not giving up my true cgm at this point. Please someone just make a cheaper dexcom which is more accurate.

1 Like

There is already an Android app but the iPhone app is still in progress. It also sounds like the Libre won’t be truly available until later in the year. FYI. The 10-day versus 14-day was an FDA decision. Based on data and studies filed, the agency didn’t feel the sensor was as accurate over 14-days, ditto the increased 12-hour warm up period. The Pro version in the US will be unchanged at a 14-day sensor. So, everywhere gets the 14-day and US gets 10-day. (I’ve been wearing the Libre for 1.5 years and this news is very disappointing.) Future versions of this device will look to increasing the length of time. We will NOT be able to monkey with the device to get it up to 14 days, although maybe someone techy will hack it and share the news online.

2 Likes

i have the freestyle for about 3 months its pretty good and accurate but lately i was having issues with the reader so they claim they will send me a new one
the costumer service here in Israel was amazing
and here each sensor is for 14 days
and my insurance here does not cover the whole thing

1 Like

About time! This device is extremely helpful.

Looking forward to this new tool.Nancy

Necessary and affordable tool for diabetes management. I have been using it for two years in Canada through a German friend, where it has been avaliable for three years now - finally legal though not covered by insurance because it would lower profit margins of some major corporations. It is a slow step to people control of their diabetes. Let’s put the Public back in Public health - Banting and Best are the way forward - Happy Diabetes Month.

Anyone met with any reps in the US yet? waiting for information!!!