Freestyle Libre available?

You can say that again! :slight_smile: Sorry though about lack of assistance.

1 Like

US price for reader and 3 sensors-- $149.89 us = 191.82 Canadian
Canada price for the same-----------$366.00
That’s a difference of $174 bucks!
As always, we Canadians are getting gouged :frowning:

But isn’t it true that 3 sensors would cover 42 days in Canada but only 30 days in US?

That is a crazy huge difference in price! But wouldn’t the Canadian health care system cover all of that cost? I have no idea how all that works there. Regardless, it seems like an unreasonable price hike.

Gov health does not cover those, or pumps. only private health plans ( some
) My plan does cover then but only if you meet certain criteria ie:your
numbers have to be through the roof, My last a1c was 5.9 so no go for me

Grossly unfair!

Kroger quoted me according to my plan (but boy they do not have any infomration provided to them for this product really). Reader is about $65 and three sensors came to $75. I would love to try it, but with my insurance coverage going up in 2018, no reason to try it right now. I told them to hold it until my new plan kicks in, for what it’s worth. Also someone called from Medvantix (which I never heard of) and asked me if I wanted my product shipped to my Kroger store. This product launch really seems rushed, and poorly put together.

Exciting new discovery! I just used my first U.S. sensor but with the reader I bought online in Italy and guess what??? IT WORKS FOR 14 DAYS WITH ONLY A ONE-HOUR WARMUP. Woot-Woot.

4 Likes

Good deal!

Very cool. Can you give an idea of what you had to pay for it???

Basically the same price. But then there’s shipping. You just have to order
it from within Italy and get someone to send it to you. You can’t access
the web pages outside of an Italy IP. Or maybe look on ebay.

what about using a proxy server?

oh my. My husband would not even let me…

I’ve read that Germany uses both mmol/L and mg/dL.

Imagine it’s possible for the tech savvy. You still need an Italian
shipping address.

An American credit card works, that part is fine.

You have plenty of them on ebay (.de). The official price in Europe is approx 70 USD. Do not pay too much, there is plenty of them on the market nowadays. I have 2 at home that I’m not using, for example. The only issue may be the language and units - depending on the country, English may not be available on the reader and you need to check if it is mg/dl or mmol/l. Also, you can use VPN and download the LibreLink app, which is the official app for your Android phone with NFC. There are 3rd party apps as well, e.g. Glimp which allows calibration as well.

I have been using Freestyle Libre for about one year. I buy my sensors and my readers online thru Ebay. I absolutely love it! It has been well worth the out of pocket cost. The sensors are small and thin and the fact that I place them upper arm almost under my arm allows me to wear any type of clothing without worrying about the placement. I have sensory issues but with the Libre I always forget I’m wearing it. I was worried about the changes to sensor calibration and duration in the US. Knowing I can use my current reader with US sensors is great news! I very rarely finger stick now, Freestyle Libre has made living with Type 1 a bit easier.

1 Like

I’m getting a free scanner and one sensor from my nurse. I was wondering if you really need to buy the Freestyle strips or is there no point using the system without them? I can barely afford any of this, but want to try at least one and then look for a new way to pay for sensors. But can you just check your BG on another meter and use the Libre for trending? Confused.

Hi Laura, You absolutely don’t need to use Freestyle strips. I pay for my own strips and meter and purchase them from Amazon. Much less money. At the moment I still pay for my own sensors too. I get them sent from Europe. My stash will run out in several months and I will start to go through insurance. I don’t use strips much since switching to the Libre system. My A1Cs have been great!

OK thanks. I’m getting Roche strips from that My Sugr bundle for a good price, and may just stick with it. I just need to work out the sensor deal if I like the device. My husband is facing some health issues and our HMO plan is going up, but there most likely is a way to do this. Thanks for letting me know. :slight_smile: