FreeStyle Libre Flash Glucose Monitoring System

Libre is more practical as the sensors are smaller and more discrete AND there is no calibration required, but Dexcom gives more accurrate readings… so it’s all up to what you want.

Update on BluCon for Freestyle Libre:

Congratulations to all of us getting Libre for free from our national health insurances.

2 Likes

I don’t understand these “comparisons” between a CGM and a FGM – those are two different technologies that serve fairly different functions. They are not interchangeable at all in my opinion.

Most of the time, I use a CGM which communicates with my pump, sends warning alerts (low and high trends) and even suspends my insulin delivery if I go too low. The flash-monitoring technology of the Libre can do none of those things. I do however also use that sensor sporadically, especially when I don’t feel like wearing the other sensor (which works best on my abdomen, so for example when I will be sunbathing during summer vacation) or don’t want to deal with alarms (for example when I travel for work where I will be in a lot of meetings). Sometimes I would actually wear both (did this more when I was first experimenting with the Libre, to see to what degree I can trust its results). I am impressed with the ease of use of the Libre, but it is better thought of as a substitute of (or at least a way to reduce) fingersticks and not of the continuous monitoring of a CGM.

@Dessito I see what you’re saying but in my case my only need for either a CGM or FGM is to be able to see the trends and adjust accordingly (with MDI). For this purpose, they both fit the bill so I asked more about accuracy, convenience, and user friendliness as these criteria are the most important to me.

I also don’t think they are complete different technologies either. They both operate similarly with similar hardware (a sensor that measure glucose in the interstitial fluid and a handheld device that displays the numbers and graphs) the only part that is missing from the Libre is the transmitter so even though it works essentially the same way, you have to scan the sensor to see the information rather it being transmitted all the time.

As I keep a very low carb way of eating and very tight control, my BG rarely spikes or plummets quickly, rather it moves in a rather linear fashion most of the time and the fluctuations are very subtle and slow so I have time to detect and react accordingly thus eliminating the need for alerts in my case.

2 Likes

Sure, individual needs vary. My response wasn’t actually so much directly to you, but to one of the posts above which went to some lengths to provide “Comparison of Freestyle Libre and Dexcom CGM.”

1 Like

Hi are you using a Libre in the USA? I have one coming through eBay and I’m trying to figure out how to get sensors cheaper. I was thinking maybe the pro sensor worked but not sure

In Australia, I have been aware of the Libre, but I am still having difficulties getting my hands on one. I have registered online and tried the phone number in the last few months but no luck.

I have been advised that I can not use a pump due to my extreme and variable response towards insulin or a CGM due to my occupation (mainly net fishing).

I see the Libre as a possible way to monitor the trends and what I consider for me an achievable BGL of between 3.4 - 6.5mmol/L. (about 60 – 120mg/dL)

The question I have, is it water proof, can it survive hot showers and swimming without layers of tape and plastic?

I’m in Florida and my endocrinologist wanted to use the Libre to get two weeks of data before starting me on the Omnipod (my first pump). She applied it in late December so maybe it’s approved for Dr office only for now? The plan was to read the data in her office two weeks later. However it lasted a day before it loosened from the back of my arm and fell off so no data. It is small but the glue is very flimsy compared to the Omnipod.

I wonder about the basic technology of reading BG from fluids vs blood. It’s the same method used in CGMs so how did Abbott solve the calibration issue since fluid sampling is not as accurate blood?

I have no CGM experience since as a T2 my insurance will not approve. Love being a Podder though since mid-Jan though. Best BG readings ever (via 6-10 sticks/day) once my basal rate was sorted out. Looking forward to next month’s A1C redo to get the real proof. :blush:

Like the Omnipod the Libre is a streamlined design. Gotta admire the simplicity. I start Medicare in the fall so I can get a Dexcom then (although as of now Medicare won’t cover the Omnipod… Feast or famine and fodder for another thread.)

Will be watching here for further thoughts from everyone.

I am using Libre in Canada. It is not approved here yet. The cheapest way to purchase is from the direct suppliers. You need to order from within a country that has medical approval for Libre. You also need to have the delivery shipped to an address in the same country. These countries are UK, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, and Sweden.
My friend in London orders them from the UK supplier. They must be shipped to her home in London. When they arrive she calls UPS and marks them as a medical device and sends them to me in Canada. Temperature doesn’t seem to be a problem. My last shipment came in January so I am quite sure the sensors were exposed to temperatures approaching -20C (approximately -4F).

@newbeach I believe Libre is also approved in Australia; check www.freestylelibre.com.au/‎ . Regarding your occupation I am not sure why the Libre would be better suited for you than the Dexcom CGM. The Libre sensor and Dexcom transmitter are water resistant. There are medical tapes that you can purchase to keep them on if you are in the water constantly. I had Dexcom G4 - I am quite sure the G4 receiver is NOT water resistant. I have not read the specs but I am quite sure the Libre receiver is NOT water resistant. I would keep the Libre or Dexcom receiver in a water tight container to be safe.
You want to allow yourself to go as low as 3.4??? I hate going below 4… Those super low readings contribute to Hypo Unawareness and that is something I do everything in my power to avoid. Even if it means that I let my BG ride a bit higher

You are correct obxdiva. There are 2 flavors of Libre. The one your endo used is only available for medical practitioners. You need to have a medical license to access the sensors and readers. The one I am using is available for diabetics to use as they see fit. But you have to be able to order them and receive delivery of them within a country that has approved the Libre. See my reply above for more details.

Hi JiminMD,

I was speaking with an Abbott rep yesterday, and found out that the consumer and pro sensors operate on different frequencies. If you know anyone in the EU or traveling to the EU, they can ship them as personal medical equipment back to US with no customs.

Yes, it is waterproof for 1 meter (stated on the literature) and so is suitable for swimming, but I presume not diving.
Yes, it works in showers without any special precautions.

Libre also authorized in Hong Kong (and then I carry by hand to Philippines). Be aware that if there is any warranty issue (we had a reader that failed to start and thus it and the linked sensor are lost), you also have to report it and troubleshoot it in the country of purchase. Waiting for replacement now on that failed item.

1 Like

If you look on the german ebay, the prices of sensors have dropped incredibly low, because more and more countries are now offering them for free, i.e. there is a surplus on the offering. You may be in a position to make a good deal. The transport to the US is another issue.

Before anybody comments - yes, I know that sales of medical prescription drugs is not ok etc etc, but I am talking about a German market. Thank you.

‘private video’ - how do I see it?
Thanks, dok

New link

Sorry for the late response but we lost power on Monday 27th March as
Cyclone Debbie approached the Whitsundauys and only had it restored Friday
14th April. Today is the first day I have been able to get back online.
There were no fatalities with only one serious injury during the cyclone
although Debbie raged for over eighteen hours and had wind gusts of over
260 km/ hr, the strongest ever recorded on the east coast of Australia.

I have registered with Abbott for the FreeStyle Libre, but have not had any
reply as yet.

Thank you for your response and it sounds like the Libre would be suitable
for farm work but not while I am fishing.

The cane did not fair well during the cyclone so I am fishing full time
while still trying to clean up the mess Debbie left.

1 Like

Glad you survived Cyclone Debbie! I’m not sure how well I’d do diabetes-wise with no power for over two weeks.

It was a dreadful cyclone. We could only look on from across the country in Perth and watch in horror all the damage the cyclone caused. Strangely it was so calm and sunny here.
Hope you manage to get back in production soon.

Thanks Terry4. It may not have been the strongest cyclone that I have experienced but it was defiantly the worst by far. It just lasted so long.

We had LED head lights, a gas stove, a battery radio and gravity water from header tanks. A 5 KVA generator kept my freezers going.

There was only one spot where we could receive limited mobile phone reception and reception is still not good.

It was extremely hard to keep BGL stable. While cleaning up the mess, BGL would stay high only to fall into the bad Hypo level when I turned on the radio and relaxed. The lack of energy involved with hard physical work made me think I was experiencing low BGL. The test would prove the opposite. Readings of over 20mmol/L were experienced and the only way to deal with these levels was to stop work, relax and correct with a small injection of bolus insulin if BGL were not reasonable within 20 minutes. It is amazing how stress hormones and adrenalin can completely screw up your BGL.