Freestyle Libre needle/filament too big?

Ditto. We also use a Dexcom - the G5. We have no interest in switching to a different glucose sensor system but I am interested in different technologies and really like more options available to people. I added a Youtube video here which shows somebody putting on the Libre sensor.

Certainly the current Dexcom insertion system is even described by the Dexcom CEO as cludgy (or something similar). I would definitely say the Dexcom inserter is the most disagreeable part of the entire system and we are 100% excited for the new Dexcom G6 insertion system to be released this coming year in 2018. (Although the new G6 inserter will only be compatible with the G6 transmitter - it will NOT be backward compatible for the G5 or G4 transmitters.)

another video. because she feels her lows, and the Libre is smaller, she likes it better than the Dexcom. She said in a weeks time(not very statistically useful, IMO), they were both “pretty accurate”.

So this video made reference more than once about a Libre introducer needle. In that respect, the Libre is similar to the Dexcom.

1 Like

Hello, I’ve been using the FSL for over 2 years now. (I live in France) The “needle” is a bendable, very thin filament. Not a big piece of metal!!! But to put it in place, yes, there is a small needle (ouch). Has the FSL been approved for children in the States? What age? And what age is your child?

(sorry I haven’t read all the comments so maybe my comment is no longer necessary)

So, I’ve just removed and replaced my first sensor. I also thought the needle stayed in my arm and was relieved that it didn’t cause me pain at any point. Upon removal (and trust me, that adhesive is sticky!!), I discovered for the first time that it is a bendy tube the height of 3 quarters, laid atop one another, and is smaller around than the Omni Pod cannula.

As far as insertion pain goes, I would not call myself high-tolerance but I must say, I feel absolutely NOTHING of the needle when applying the sensor. Nothing.

There is a larger needle that leaves behind a smaller filament.

1 Like

Oh good! My CDE gave me a starter kit yesterday and I had asked her if it hurt much…I’m thankful for the news that it doesn’t!

If I were you I would let your daughter try it and see what she thinks. If CGM’s had been available when I was a child it would have prevented a lot of pain and the serious damage to my nerves that finger pricks caused. I’ve been on the Libre for a few weeks now and I love it. The first time I put it in although I didn’t feel the insertion I did hit a vein so I got a bruise, but the second time I didn’t so I can barely feel anything. As for low pain tolerance finger sticks hurt way worse over time than a CGM and it makes a huge difference in my well-being. BTW I hate needles and even though I’ve been living with them for 26 years, if you told me tomorrow that I’d never have to see another needle I’d probably throw a party

Firenza: lol. I’d throw a town party with limo service for everyone.
Ren: thanks for the feedback. i guess the pain factor may vary a lot with the degree of flesh cushion a person has, in the end (not much for a lean child). We’ll keep the device under consideration.

Hello, I’ve started using the sensors, and have looked carefully at the used-up ones I’ve removed.

First, it is NOT a conventional hard needle. I think it’s some type of flexible plastic, they call it a “filament”

Also, experimenting with a used-sensor’s filiment, it doesnt seem sharp at all to my finger, and it is very flexible. I’m actually surprised that the applicator can even stick it into my skin - the applicator must do something special to get it to go in at all. And if it falls off, you’re not supposed to re-apply it, but I don’t think you could anyway, it’s so limp and dull - maybe the applicator has the perfect angle, or something. But I swear it is NOT A STANDARD NEEDLE, not even close.

I didn’t even realize it put something through my skin when I applied the first one, since I didn’t feel anything. Back then I wondered maybe it used an LED or skin vapors or something… (silly in hindsight I guess)

This sensor is smaller (I mean it’s very flat) and cheaper than their competitors.

One bit advice: to keep it on for the full 12 or 14 days, you may want to buy some adhesive patches to help it stay in place, like “SIMPSTCH” on Amazon, but make sure you get the kind for FreeStyle Libre. Especially if you (or your child) takes showers or works out - my first one fell off after 3 days, I think due to moisture. You could also use Tegaderm, but be careful when removing the bandage, it will also be stuck to the sensor, so you’d need to hold that in place with your fingers.

1 Like

Mark, thank you very much for the feedback. Our issue is that our young child doesn’t have the flesh cushion of an adult, and neither the pain tolerance, to do this on a constant, repetitive basis. The other things are the inherent risk of infection (which I know it’s debatable) and the fact that our provider and others say that Libre is not sufficiently exact to dose from. But again, the physical aspect is what still holds us back from all available cgm-types. All the best.

Hi there, this thread is pretty old thread so dunno if you still need this info. I am a mom of a 3yo T1D, and I’ve been using libre continuously for my son since July 2018. My son is not fleshy nor skinny, just about average. Initially, he complained and cried everytime we need to apply a new sensor (to the point that we need a small bribe each time we do it, which is a new Hot Wheels), but I think it’s due to psychological stress rather than physical pain. For the past few months, he is completely fine with it, and said the application doesn’t hurt. Speaking about infection, it never happened. The problem we had was (1) allergic skin reaction in the form of rash in the adhesive area, but it is solvable by using Cavilon. (2) Wild inaccuracies when the sensor is not kept firmly in place, because my son is so fond of warm showers and the adhesive is not strong enough to handle the moisture, that it loosened, ‘wiggled’ and cause the insertion point to develop a tiny bump of scar tissue. This is solved by using Tegaderm waterproof dressing. The key is to minimize moisture and movements of the sensor (even small movements irritates the insertion point). So in conclusion, it’s not the best technology, but it is the best we had at the moment, so I’ll continue using it until a better, non-invasive option comes (am waiting for reviews on Nemaura’s SugarBEAT in Europe).

2 Likes

Thank you so much for reaching out to us. And OMG, how did we not come
across SugarBeat yet! We’ll look at getting one from Europe asap!

As far as Libre, you can call us lame in comparison but we find the
inserting needle terribly large, relatively speaking, to be used on a
regular basis. They should only hire diabetic (and lean) engineers for
making these devices. Intuitively, it should be very possible to make
these devices 1/3 of the size they actually are.

Also, have you seen this: https://www.pkvitality.com

Best!

Lucian Leonte

The needle is to get the cannula inserted properly - if it were shorter the cannula would bend - if the cannula was shorter it would be useless.

The libre inserter is a masterpiece of engineering - I know this because I took one apart trying to recover the sensor after I dropped it and it triggered - abbott replaced it.

And I don’t hand out compliments lightly

I’m glad it works for you. Yes, I also took one capsule apart entirely
to see the whole inserting needle (of course it’s for placing the
cannula in). Just too large for us to use on a regular basis. I
maintain that the whole thing, including cannula and needle) could be
3 times smaller with current tech.
Again, I’m glad it works for a lot of people out there.

Hi again, have you found out how to get the SugarBEAT? If you have and decided to get one, please keep us posted on your experience :slight_smile: (might need to open a new thread). We are living in Indonesia, which is far down on diabetic tech companies’ list of countries to market to. Even for Libre, we could only get it from Singapore/Hong Kong. Am waiting for a friend to bring Libre2 from Germany at the end of this year, but if SugarBeat is already available then we’d definitely want to convert.

I have heard about some kind of glucose watch being developed (but didn’t know the brand), and I don’t know why but I can’t open PK vitality website. From a little googling, it seems that they launch next year, is that correct? Crossing fingers for faster launch on these new techs.

All the best to you too! :wink:

I was just going to say, it looks like SugarBEAT uses the same technique—passing an electric pulse through the skin—as the GlucoWatch, which had a brief run back in the early 2000s (inspiration for the device featured in Jody Foster’s Panic Room). There was a post here on TUD not too long ago from someone who actually tried it. Biggest problem with it was it irritated people’s skin and became uncomfortable/painful over time.

1 Like

Ok thanks, I’ll let you know if and how I’ll be able to get any SugarBeat.
Challenging and fascinating country to live in.

1 Like

Yes, any skin irritation is a concern and I think these companies are
aware of it. PK Vitality seems keen on making that a non issue, and
SugarBeat was approved so the issue must be somewhat under control.
Only practice will tell.
Glucowatch was a revolutionary wristband but it was killed pretty
quickly by critics for having a wide margin of error. I’d take
something non-invasive with a decent margin of error any day. Combined
with some bg meter checks in the beginning, perhaps one can learn how
to accurately interpret the “non-invasive” readings over time, unless
critical.

The glucowatch was not only widely inaccurate, it was also insanely expensive to buy and operate. The purchase price was a thousand dollars and cost $15 a day to operate. It still required multiple fingersticks to verify its accuracy during the day. By CGM standards of today, that cost isn’t really that big of a deal. I compare it to the Medtronic Enlites, where the readings were being randomly generated.