Frequent "Charlie Horses" at night

Normal bg’s are the answer. You will not be able to mantain potasium w/o enough insilin and normal bg’s.

Supliments wil not help at all, in fact they may do more harm than good to your heart.

Best advice so far is to see your endo before your do irrecoveralble harm to yourself.

I remember the cramps, they were painful!

That is exactly my opinion: Laura is very likely in DKA. Muscle cramps are a good indicator for being in this state. Just by looking at her profile it is clear to me that she is type 1 not type 2 (look at the A1c development - scary). This is an emergency situation in my opinion.

I’m going to second and third what Kristin and Holger have just said. Your last HbA1c was 11%, an average of over 250 mg/dl. Your HbA1c has risen dramatically despite your being medicated. Your exhibiting critical signs of diabetes, you have been losing weight (wasting), your probably having signs of DKA and your blood sugar is clearly not under control.

Your doctor has NOT treated you properly. You need to keep yourself well hydrated and get to either an ER or an urgent clinic as soon as possible. When you get there, they will look at you and probably give you insulin and get your fluids back to normal and you will be ok. But you are not going to be ok if you just wait it out with a little medication change.

Please promise us you will do this and report back afterwords that you are ok.

Find another Dr.! If you BS are 400 that is concerning. Increasing Glucophage may not be the treatment you need. Also you having symptons of elevated BS “charlie horses”. If you are 400 you should have all the obvious high BS signs.

Woodward, I agree. And without any further delay.

High blood sugars lead to kidneys dumping sugar leads to frequent urination leads to dehydration. DKA also causes dehydration and also messes up blood chemistry. Both DKA and dehydration mess up electrolyte balance. Messed up electrolyte balance, specifically too little potassium (medical term: hypokalemia), gives the “charlie horses”. Hypokalemia is also responsible for many of the other indications of DKA: hypertachycardia, etc.

This is serious stuff. I’ve been down that road before (at diagnosis) and ended up hospitalized for weeks because of the DKA and resulting problems.

I definitely will!

You will feel a lot better once you have the right treatment to match your condition! I can (very well) imagine how you are feeling right now. We are here for you!! Please do keep us posted on how you are doing.

Well right now right at this second, I feel rather tired even just waking up, I have a headache, my eyes hurt, and I feel weak. My fasting BG was 344, and that was maybe 10 minutes ago. I’m starving, but I’m afraid to eat. I’m seriously considering on going to the ER.

Please do go to the ER! I waited until I was vomiting and blacking out. Don’t wait that long…

Make sure they test you for ketones right away!

I agree with that last several posts. This sounds like type 1. I had horrible charlie horses the month before I was diagnosed with type 1. If you are dropping weight without trying it could be your body metabolizing muscle.

I found two local hospitals

Good Samaritan Hospital, 108 South Thompson Avenue, Excelsior Spgs, MO (816) 630-2718‎

Excelsior Springs Hospital‎, 1700 Rainbow Boulevard, (816) 630-6081‎

Drink a couple glasses of water, that will quench your hunger. Call a neighbor/friend/relative, have them look after the kids (if you have any) and just call youself a cab.

You should just go, I don’t look up hospitals for people unless I mean it.

Yes, Laura, you should go.
bsc, you are a gem for taking this extra step in your post.

Charlie Horses are common with me when BG gets that high for any length of time. I am also potassium deficient. Avocados are a great way to increase your potassium! I also have to agree with everyone else, sounds like you might be T1. Get to the ER I’ve had DKA and it is not something to take lightly.

If your sugars are high and you are urinating a lot, you may need electrolites. Talk to your doctor.

Regarding the Charley Horses, I drink diet Tonic Water with a slice of lemon or lime in it. Don’t have the CH when I drink it. My husband ( non-diabetic ) also gets CH sometimes and the Tonic Water helps him too.

Laura-
I cant stop thinking aobut you- please let us know you got to the Dr/ER and that all is well. I hate fear mongering…but fasting BG’s that high are scaring me! I just today came from the bedside of a D friend in the ICU- kidney failure from DKA. Please please dont wait. Dialysis is in his future.

I am ok. I went to the ER today and spend a good 5 hours there. They drew blood, and took urine. I have no infections, no ketones, and I’m not DKA. Which is good. I am now on insulin, which I have to say, it’s about time. As much as I don’t want to be on insulin, this is what it takes to keep my sugars within normal limits. My BG upon arriving to the ER was 440, and upon being discharged was 166. My kidney functions were good too. They concluded that my diabetes was just getting worse.

My electrolytes were good too.

Laura Mantlo, you are my hero. You did exactly the right thing. I feel a lot better, I was worried about you. I do hope that you got a referral to an endo and a plan for follow up. You need a doctor who can get you proper tests and make sure that you have the right treatment to keep your blood sugar controlled. Do keep us up with how things are going.