From One Bad Doctor to Another

Not yet, he says he wants to follow my next labs, but I am on the Metformin. And I am exercising more, which we all know is a struggle to do, but we have to.

I will have to do a search for Phoenicians on here, thanks!

I think doctors are like car mechanics.

I don’t blame you, I would rather drive further than have someone close who can’t figure out diabetes.

I am thinking of designing a tee shirt with “Diabetic Patient at Large” on it, and wearing it to the doctor’s.

In Massachusetts we have a RIGHT to a copy of our medical records. I would be surprised if other states didn’t have this.

We have to pay for them of course but not that much. And once requested they have to hand them over within 30 days.

So, I would find out your state laws. Then I would state them in a certified mail letter to your doctor requesting that you be supplied a copy of your records.

You also should be able to request a copy of your test results when you are informed about them. I always do this when I can and then I have a file of it.

My doctor once didn’t call me and let me know the test results. They have a habit of doing this. I went to the office and asked for them. They told me they could not release my test results without a doctor seeing them first and I ahve to come back another day. Which is bull***.

I told them it was against the law to deny me access to my medical records. The lady then said oh you want a copy hold on let me get the doctor to sign off on it and I will get it for you.

Other than that I have done my own confirmed diagnosis when necessary on a doctor my self. There are a few online labs you can order from. private med labs I think is one.

I had a Hemotologist diagnosis me with iron defficienies when I went to her about a elevated platelet count.

She NEVER ran any of the required tests for that. Instead she told me to take iron tablets which could have been very damaging had I followed her advice.

I went and paid for a lab through an online place went to the lab and had them run the test and found the test results I did not indicate iron deffiency. I did have an extreme low folate level (eating veggies isn’t my favorite past time). So now I take folic acid to correct that.

BTW I am like you and while I am not thrilled with my Endo she did prescribe both Metformin and Byetta. I am not taking Byetta though until I talk to her again about the possible damage it could do to my pancreas from over extretion of insulin. I am already exterting 3 times the amount of a normal person.

And I too might go and find another doctor as well. As my doctor has done the a1c test only once since May and I was a 6.3 and my glucose was 129 and insulin 98. She has yet run a 2 hour gluclose test on me.

Or to suggest changing my eating habits which is what I have been doing lately…

She was surprised to find out I was testing my blood sugar the last time I talk to her. I told her I was feeling sometimes jittery can’t sit still unable to focus. She told me my blood sugar was probably too low. I said no it wasn’t it was 124 and she said oh you are testing. I said yes.

Now I am keeping a wick journal just like you. Everything I eat and doing the 1,2,3 hour posts afterwards.

One it helps me to keep track of my diet. And two, I will fill out a spread sheet before I go and see my doctor again showing everything I ate, and the BG results.

Hope you find a doctor where you are. For me I might be heading into Boston to goto joslyn to find a doctor.

Hope you are feeling better,

Angela

I think you have more choices in Boston, which is a medical heavyweight city!
I know what you mean about us having to do the work. Someone should be telling us what to do.

I hope you find someone good. It sounds like you already are doing so much. I know how frustrating it is.

I am determined to beat this thing. I showed the new doc I went to the logs I kept of my blood sugars. I put the date, and when I took it, and also when I ate last. My first is in the morning before I eat.

When they saw my first fasting glucose, they said my sugar wasn’t too high, but I showed him my logs. My second fasting glucose came back at 151.

So, I am a diabetic, not a raging diabetic, but I have a lot of the bad things that go with it like high blood pressure, so he is putting me on a second drug for that. I am glad, because it has gone up and down and last year, I made the doctor rule out renal artery stenosis and pheochromocytoma, an adrenal tumor that can cause hypertensive spikes. I had neither, but it is good to know this.

I hope you are feeling better too!!

Oh, and go Red Sox…!!