Fruity question

What fruit do you find makes your BG’s go up more?

Yesterday, we had watermelon, well I should say we pigged out on 1/2 of a watermelon. Plus we had ww pasta for dinner. OMG! This am my BG’s were 300!!! Never not even after cortisone are my numbers that high. What did I learn, portion control is important, and watermelon is filled water, AND sugars…duh! I knew that!

I love fruit, I adore this time of year when the fruits are plentiful and good. Yet, I have learned every summer that too much fruit isn’t a good thing, peaches, watermelon, grapes, etc are among my most likely to raise BG’s…all things in moderation.

How about you?

grapes shoot me up, i have to be careful when eating those

Fruity Answer…

We react differently to fruits. Some more than the others. You are right though, portioning or the size of the fruit counts a lot. There are also fruits that raises blood sugars more than the others. You can only find that out by trying a variety of fruits and testing afterwards. I love fruits too. Specially ripe mangoes, bananas and pineapples. but it raises my blood sugars to high heavens! Nutrition wise, you can get the benefits of fruits from veggies, without raising your blood sugar. You can also try berries:blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, etc.

My Mom used too say " If you ever wanted to poison me just put it in the watermelon" And my poison is the same as hers Watermelon…Here in Texas there are Fruit cup venders everywhere…they add clile powder and limon to it…my fav is the mango-watermelon-strawberry cup… Oh My now I want one…LOL

OH, but, Teena, are oh sooooo good when usually we eat them out of a can all winter long. I do not know where you live, but on the northern plains when we can get REAL fruit, it’s so hard to pass up. And I don’t. But this lesson was a real one, and one that as a WW’er I should have known already. Was that a surprise number to see! Talked to my diabetic nurse and she said it was like eating a cup of sugar straight from the bag…not good. BUT that at the best side of the story, at least with fruit sugar, it’s not like eating sugars say in chocolate, w hich she knows is also a soft spot. Yet, even as much as I love those fresh fruits, I’ll be more careful about portions now.

That’s an idea I can live with, deb. Although cheese is a high point food in WW’ers…I’d have that with the fruit IF it does counter act some of the sugar. We haven’t had berries so cheap here, like a container for $1.59…blue berries, black berries, raspberries, so I’ve been taking advantage of the deals. One store sold any FIVE for $5.00!!! That was a real treat week.

Here is a link to a discussion we had on this topic some time ago. I pretty much have to stay away from fruit. but I love peaches this time of year!

I love fruit, but I use these guidelines to avoid spikes:

1. The riper the fruit, the more carbs, the worse for your BGs.
  2. No overripe fruit. peaches, plums, pears, apricots, nectarines - anything with a pit, has to be relatively firm. it’s a judgement call.
  3. Only half a banana. also must be ‘just’ ripe or a little green.
  4. A thumb size grape is about 1 carb.
  5. Apples, apples, apples!!!
  6. The tomato is a fruit.
  7. Canned fruits - read the label.

Dr. Bernstein says ‘no fruit’ but I say 'you can’t alway follow doctor’s orders.

Terry

I am at the flat lands of Oklahoma, Cathy. Wherein fresh frruits are available in supermarkets. But I was born and raised in the Philippines, where most fruits are freshly picked and may be eaten on the same day! Fruits like mangoes, pineapples, bananas, cataloups, papaya, lychees and yes, even watermelons…are fresh, delicious and abundant. Canned and processed fruits are not very popular there exept for fruits that are not grown in tropical countries such as berries and grapes. I love fresh fruits so much that I have already measured the quantity or size I can eat. Like, a medium banana, about 8 pcs of grapes, half a mango (too bad because its my favorite, I can eat 5!), a “tall finger” sized pineapple, wherein it does not affect my bg so much.

I am a type 2. I love fruit also, I am trying to do the dash diet and increase fruit intake to 5 to 6 servings a day. I tend to eat the fruits that raise BG’s 20 minutes before I work out. I hit around 180 with watermelon, oranges,pineapple or grapes. I manage to bring myself backdown with 45 minute bike ride to about 90. During breakfast I eat one small banana and on the way home I eat an apple. Before workout I eat 2 to 3 servings of fruit which keeps my energy going during bike rides. So I figure if I am going to enjoy fruit, I have to pay for it with a good workout.

I am a T2, I usually eat 2-3 servings of fruits each day, but usually blueberries, strawberries, tomatoes or apples. I eat them with walnuts or hazelnuts plus a fiber mix called Superseed and it doesn’t raise my BG as much as say eating fruits alone. Sometimes I follow up with cardio an hour or two after eating fruits. And I never eat fruits in the morning, always stick to lunch time.

I have found that cantaloupe is a good fruit for me, but not on an empty stomach. I used to eat it alone for breakfast, Now I eat it with my lunch or dinner meal. Blueberries are good for me too, but so expensive here for some reason.

I had my first BG greater than 200 after only a few grapes

Cherries. Oh my, cherries are bad!

And I just bought a big bag of fresh cherries…have to go lightly on them…maybe freeze some for next winter.
Everything in moderation and portion control!

Oranges are probably my favorite, but they sure don’t like my D! Also grapes will send me way up.

Pineapple, grapes, and watermelon. Cantaloupe and honeydew are ‘medium’ for me. Berries are good for me - strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries. Peaches, nectarines and plums are also medium - I can have one.