Frustrated with caregiver

this is frustrating for me. i live in a group home for people with mental health issues in canada and am on metiformin. even tho my sugars are always between 4.0mmol/l and have gone the odd time as high as 12.0mmol/l. the operator of the group home is telling me that i have to get my sugars lower SHE wants them under 4mmol/l before every meal and no higher then 6.0mmol/l after meals and SHE says that i should be loosing a minimum of 5 pounds a week. as well as that i need to walk continuously for 8 to 12 hours every day when my DOCTOR said my sugars are well with in range. yes my DOCTOR said i need to loose weight BUT he also said that HEALTHY weight loss is between 1 to 2 pounds a week. so i don’t know where my home operator is getting her information from but it is very clear to me that she is wrong. i have ask many times to explain or if possible show me where she is getting this information from and SHE refuses to do. she even admitted to me in front of my doctor that i am doing a good job of keeping things in check other then the not exercising enough at home. even tho she admits i do a lot of walking monday to friday at the drop in center i goto most weekdays

1 Like

Is there something in your contract or agreement of being at the group home that says she has responsibility for your health care? Does she have medical credentials to be giving you medical advice about your target blood sugars?
That should be between you and your doctor, and maybe doctor can reinforce that at your next visit.

2 Likes

4.0 is 72 in USA chart

If she wants below 72 before meals I would assume she has mental problems

You need to get help and get away from her by any means possible, or maybe just speak up more force-ably

2 Likes

I agree that targetting 4.0 mmol/L (72) for before meals is an unrealistic goal. I guess the real question is what real world authority does this person wield? There are very few people who need to walk 8-12 hours/day. That seems extreme.

6 mmol/L (108) is also an extreme post-meal target not always met by healthy gluco-normal people.

1 Like

I agree with the various responses. I would only add—as a motivational factor—Power and Control. In a group setting of any kind, people juggle positions to suit their emotional needs—that may very well not have anything to do with your needs…

You might want to take a little time to analyze just who she is actually concerned about. I can tell you right off the bat, as one who was a professional dancer for 40 years, her exercise goal is laughable and you should feel fine about experimenting until you find what works for you…

Have you experimented with moderating your carbs? All of us need to at least moderate carbs. I have chosen to eat very low carb, but I am not on meds yet…And the fewer carbs you eat the easier it is to control with moderate exercise, for instance. And remember that exercise can include vigorous housework like vacuuming…More later…I’m wishing you all the best…Keep checking in here—everyone likes to help!..

2 Likes