Frustrated

It's been two weeks and man does it suck. It really hit me at a dance yesterday, my friends were drinking punch but I couldn't because I knew my numbers were already high and who knows what's in it. And dating oh that should be so much fun. Sorry I have to take my blood sugar oh and count the carbs in this meal. Not to mention CVS is the worst pharmacy they gave me the wrong needles, these ones are way to long so my mother called and explained so the lady tells us to come in by the time we get there it's almost 5 pm and they say they would need to get an approval from my doctor. And now it's after 5 on a Friday and there is no way I'm getting new needles until Tuesday. I want to quit I really do.

I have to tell you, it will get better. It just takes time.

Needles are actually an over the counter item. Although CVS claimed that they needed doctors approval, that is actually not totally correct (they likely did it to make sure they would not mess up insurance reimbursement).

What you can do is march down to Walmart where pretty much across the US, you can purchase basic diabetes supplies without the hassle. Walmart carries pen needles of various sizes at their pharmacy for $9/box of 50. Just select the size you want and pay cash.

And remember, it is going to be ok.

Meg, I'd be surprised if you weren't frustrated. You can do this, and I'm so glad you found our community.

That drove me *nuts* for years when I had syringes! I liked the longer ones for whatever reason but the manufacturers were always inventing shorter ones that someone, I could never tell if it was the pharmacy or the doctor's office, would "default" to the "better" ones and I'd end up stuck in a loop, always on weekends, when I'd squeeze the chore of going to the pharmacy into my routine, leading to more chores the following weekend. These kind of shenanigans recur and are one of the things that I find most annoying about diabetes. If I'm doing 1500 shots/ year, I should be able to go buy whatever sort of syringes I want and should not get static from pharmacies, doctors or, another suspect, the insurance company (who may be lurking in the background here, if the bigger needles are cheaper, they may contend they do the same thing and they only owe you for the long ones, rather than the ones your doctor recommended, that you learned on and that you should be able to get covered...these kind of questions are bizarre and, if you're in that sort of "loop", getting straight answers can be almost impossible. A few years ago, I got Blue Cross, the pharmacy and my doctor on a 4 way conference call b/c BCBS and the pharmacy tried to blame my doctor for cutting test strips from 12 or 14 or whatever/ day to 7...grrrrr....)

On a better note, I want to add that you should count passing on the punch at the dance as a ***HUGE*** victory that is very impressive for someone to have done only a couple of weeks into it. Diabetes is a lot of little battles adding up into a huge war but, it's one battle at a time and you won one!! Good job!! Dating is fun, ghastly chronic diseases or not.

You are going to be okay! Yes, this sucks and it may suck for a very long time before it gets better. I got diagnosed my senior year of HS and I almost let it ruin my entire Senior year. Take it from me, congradulate yourself on the small wins (not drinking punch) and don't be to hard on yourself either (getting highs and such).
Also, the whole dating thing don't sweat it. When I told the 1st guy I dated after getting diagnosed that I had T1D he told me after we became a couple that he had almost didn't ask me out again just because I had T1D. But he ended up reasearching the disease and baking me sugar free brownies and realized that T1D was just something I had. Nonetheless, ultimately different guys are going to act differently. I've had guys run away, just ask questions to understand T1D better or just didn't care at all. My point is dates are going to be fun or be really awful/ boring whether you have T1D or not but enjoy them and hey you can always use T1D as an excuse to get out of a bad date ;)
Anyway, keep your chin up its going to be okay.

I don't think the "Suck factor " ever goes away completely but it will become something you have adjusted to. Don't think of yourself as a diabetic person. Think of yourself first as a person or teenager or young adult, just one that happens to have diabetes.

as boshra said, this may suck for a very long time, its true. however, youll be amazed at how you will grow and change to accomodate this constant friggin interference in your life. i was going thru an old notebook from 2011, when i was diagnosed and in it i had written some questions for the cde i was going to see three days into my D. the questions were so basic, how did i not know these things, i thought. the learning curve was steep, thank goodness.
its really hard in the beginning, learning all the carb counting, how insulin works in YOUR particular body, learning to listen to your body. and the being different. not only different to others, but different from your old you, the regular you. that part is really hard, looking back at what you took for granted two weeks ago. but look ahead, we are all here with you and you can do this.
good luck with today and tomrrow and the next day and the next and the next....