G6, is anyone an early user?

if you feel passionately about this, I suggest (humbly, of course) that you contact Dexcom directly and make your feelings known, but BETTER YET, suggest to them a very practical solution to what you feel is a serious concern. Perhaps you can offer them some engineering suggestions.

Just off the cuff here… I’m sure the concept of a reusable inserter is covered by a Medtronics patent that they’re just waiting for the opportunity to defend…
Disposable option is probably safer for Dexcom on that score…

You could check with the patent office

If the packaging for the new Dexcom G6 inserter being discarded is a priority on somebody’s list then it is really great that Medtronic has a cgm option that involves reuse.

Everybody has to decide what works best for them.
It is great there are choices.

1 Like

@El_Ver
If you want access to the Control-IQ (HCL) update which is due out first half next year, you would need to upgrade to the G6 at that time.

There is announced to be a G6 compatibility update for the Tandem t:slim X2 later this year (of course requires FDA approval) but potentially you could skip over that one and keep running with the G5.

Here’s Diabetic Danica’s video of the G6 insertion process.

She didn’t get a “live” system that actually transmits and displays glucose readings. It’s just a demo kit to see what the insertion process feels like.

Her youthful enthusiasm and energy are contagious. She’s also good with using this medium to communicate. I can see why Dexcom employs her to make demo videos for them. Although she says that this video is solely from her.

1 Like

G6 user here, on day 4 of my first sensor. Haven’t calibrated once, VERY happy with accuracy so far. Has been within ~10 points of finger stick each time I’ve checked (which has been multiple times per day). Even when I was falling at 96 with a single arrow down finger stick was at 94. (Obviously there is variance and limits on the accuracy of both finger sticks and interstitial monitors, just saying I’ve been very happy so far.)

6 Likes

Good to read a report from an actual user, @SugarSurfer! Please update here when you can.

Thanks, and welcome to TUD, @SugarSurfer. Hope you stick around!

I too saw the HCL timeline for Tandem, and also noted the G6 component. I agree that it will be an update, it’s just when. Last I heard, HCL was scheduled for first half of 2019, which will then have a financial component tied to the upgrade. The PLGS is slated for early summer, and Tandem has stated no upgrade costs for 2018. If and when HCL is live and someone has figured out a creative solution to the 10 day sensor problem (problem in my opinion only) I will upgrade to the G6. As always cost will be an issue for me. Spend a nickel here, save a dime there.

@El_Ver

There the update for the Basal-IQ (PLGS) this summer. And the update for the Control-IQ (HCL) first half next year. It was already known that the Basal-IQ would work with the G5 and the Control-IQ would work with the G6. Those are the devices which the trials have been run under.

But then Tandem also (most recent conference call) announced another update (unexpectedly) which will be G6 compatibility for Tandem later this year with insinuation of only 2 or 3 months after the Basal-IQ release. And confirmation that all updates which are FDA approved in 2018 are at “no additional cost”.

No mention of whether or not any updates for 2019 (ie - Control-IQ) will incur additional cost. No hint either way.

1 Like

@SugarSurfer
With the G4/G5 it is very common for people to have fairly significant decrease in accuracy until the sensor has been on for 24 hrs at which point the accuracy picks up and levels out to what the particular person tends to get.

The G6 was hailed as one of the major improvements was increase accuracy on the first day.

Your thoughts on this aspect specifically?

1 Like

Well, obviously I’ve only had one “first day”, so definitely anecdotal at this point. Since I started the sensor I’ve been checking with finger sticks very regularly. I always wash my hands thoroughly, and for the last few days I’ve been doing TWO sticks each time I check to try to account for meter variation.

So with that said, I feel like I definitely noticed a difference. It’s gotten slightly better on days 2+, but honestly day 1 felt very accurate. Again, think I need more time to know for sure if it’s significant though :slight_smile:

1 Like

The problem I’ve had with both MedT and Dex is the tendency to register significantly lower than fingersticks in the a.m. Dexcom particularly seems to respond to my morning shower by dropping 10-20 points. If the G6 fixes that problem I’ll be happy to make the switch, even if it means no more rollovers. I mostly only roll them over because I’m lazy and don’t like having to go through the rigmarole of changing 'em.

@Tim35 Thank you for the info. It will be interesting to see what actually transpires. I called Dexcom today to make sure they have me code as an integrated patient, especially since the web portal still shows me as a G4 patient, which I have never been. Add to that an insurance change end of November, and it will get interesting real fast. Happy New Year!

1 Like

A friend just shared this on Facebook:

:thinking:

There’s a good reason for the 10 day limit, as it has been well established that beyond this point accuracy drops substantially.

Hmm… Wondering about Tandem X2 users, which need G5 for compatibility reasons. Any idea, @Mila?

Dexcom and Tandem have a partnership not to mention Dexcom owning 2-1/2 M shares of Tandem stock.

Dexcom is not going to kick any Tandem X2 users off the G5 before it is possible to use the G6 with the Tandem.

Tandem expects to have the G6 update out before the end of the year.

Plus there is still the t:slim w/ G4 which has a long way to go on its warranty.

My understanding is different. Dexcom will be looking for a 14 day FDA approval in 2019 on the G6 but it did not appear to me that it would be going to be a new sensor/system but rather the same G6 system with a label change. Which leads me to believe the current G6 sensor is perfectly fine to 14 days. Otherwise it would take more than a label change. But we will see. Just all speculation until it happens.

2 Likes

I started using Dexcom sensors 9 years ago. I remember when sensors lasted twice as long as they do now. I don’t believe that Dexcom has lost its mojo. I believe that Dexcom knows how to make sensors that last one month or more. Unless the sensors fall off of course. The forced shutoff will allow Dexcom to give us one month sensors. I am looking forward to eventually getting sensors that don’t limp out of the gate. I would pay a couple hundred of bucks to get G6 early. My post is not intended to offend fellow T1s that cannot afford to pay top dollars. I wish Dexcom would/could adopt the Apple approach. An iPhone SE costs $349. The top-of-line iPhone X goes for $1149. I have a 4 year old iPhone 6 (trade-in price $80). I recommend ‘The Undercover Economist’ by Tim Harford. It explains the concept of self-targeting. Amazing concept. A must-read for nerds.

2 Likes