G6, is anyone an early user?

I spoke with a Dexcom rep last week since I wanted my account coded as an integrated user. He indicated what has been voiced previously that Tandem users will most likely see a G6 upgrade Q4 2018 by Tandem, at which time you may opt in /out of the upgrade. Future (2019/2019+) X2 feature upgrades will be based on the G6 or newer.

Dexcom stated in the earnings call they will be trying to get 14 day sensor life approved by end of year if possible.

Dexcom stated in the earnings call they will be trying to get 14 day sensor life approved by end of year if possible.

Iā€™m unable to find that in the transcript at DexCom (DXCM) Q1 2018 Results - Earnings Call Transcript | Seeking Alpha

I do see Jayson T. Bedford of Raymond James asking ā€œWhen will you run the study for the 14-day wear device?ā€ The CEO Kevin Sayer answers ā€œWe have not communicated anything, and we wonā€™t. We certainly would run the trial this year. Weā€™re in the middle of discussing the scope of that trial internally and then ultimately presenting it to the FDA as part of an IDE to get there. The special controls really requires to do a lot of statistical setting, determining exactly what size sample of patients we need, how many points we need in the study, and all those criteria. So weā€™re early in that. Weā€™d expect to run that in the back half of 2018.ā€

Based on this, I wouldnā€™t expect to see approval for 14-day wear until 2019.

@bkh Thank you for the clarification on the 14day sensor statement. I also read that article, but obviously (or many hopefully) misread the statement regarding the sensor life. Apologies.

1 Like

Yeah, how dare those idiots keep coming out with life changing innovations year after year.

2 Likes

I have not heard anything on that. :frowning:

Good for you! Youā€™ve got a great memoryšŸ™„

Just another voice to add, Iā€™ve just started my second G6 sensor a couple days ago. This is my first CGM experience so I have nothing to compare it to, but Iā€™ve been impressed so far. The first sensor was very accurate from the get-go. It freaked a few times the first night with what may have been compression lows, although I donā€™t think I was actually sleeping on it. Thankfully, I never had that issue after the first night. It was awesome until about day 9 when it started going off the rails - several sensor errors and wacky numbers until I replaced it a few hours early on day 10. That one was on my abdomen.
The second sensor I put on the back of my arm and it bled a little going inā€¦ it was way off for the first several hours. Not sure if that was a result of the slight bleeding? I was surprised to see it settle in later that day and itā€™s been pretty darn close ever since.
I will say both seemed to run a little low at night for me; maybe dehydration? Its definitely slow to catch up when Iā€™m dropping or riding fast, but I expected that.

WOOT!
Just read it on Facebook1

2 Likes

@Mila
Well that is shocking.

Are you familiar enough with this person to vouch for the likely accuracy of their post?

(I am really flabbergasted by this !!!)

@SugarSurfer
@Kpanda01

Are either/both of you able to verify the report as @Mila posted about being able to continue onto a second 10-day session on the same session after the initial 10-days are up?

(I so much like confirmations !!!)

He posted it on the Dexcom G5/G6 group and apparently he is not the only one.

We should be getting ours next week!

I would obviously be very interested in your first-hand experience.
:smile:

2 Likes

So the two reasons that I am extremely skeptical.

(Well ok - three reasons)

First - I am just skeptical about anything. it is what it is.

Second - The Dexcom CEO was pretty darn specific about this. If it really is this trivial to restart the G6 sensor very much like the G5 then one could easily make the case that the Dexcom CEO was providing misleading information to investors. That is actually serious. (Not that I am about to file anything - just saying it is a reason to be skeptical as I think the Dex CEO is a super smart dude and obviously very good with business and all that)

Third - The G6 user guide makes no mention (that I can see) in reference to the stated message of: ā€œcontinue without codeā€. Further, the G6 User Guide specifically states:

Chapter 14.8 - Sensor (page 254)

To end the sensor session early in the app, go to Stop Sensor in the Settings menu.
To end the sensor session early in the receiver, go to Stop Sensor in the Menu.
Once stopped, you canā€™t restart the current sensor session.

One could perhaps parse the last sentence to focus on the word ā€œcurrentā€ in that (if the above report is true) then ā€œNoā€ the ā€œcurrentā€ session can not be restarted but a ā€œnewā€ session can be started on the same sensor. So perhaps the wording here really does not remove ambiguity.

But then searching the G6 User Guide further, it is actually more specific on page 349 in Appendix H (Alarm/Alerts) and states:

Screen: No Restarts.
No alerts, alarms, or sensor glucose readings until single-use sensor replaced.
Notes: Canā€™t restart sensor once it have been stopped.
After trying to restart, transmitter determines if sensor has been restarted and stops it if it has.

EDIT: Fourth reason to be skeptical.
When running in no calibration mode, from all reports by the CEO and from the documentation which I have read, the G6 does NOT require two calibrations every day for the 10 day session. The G6 is advertised as being able to be used in either mode of: ā€œNo Calibrationā€ or ā€œOne Calibration per Dayā€.

The details of the ā€œOne Calibration per Dayā€ are:
Initial double fingerstick (counts as one calibration)
12 hours later, another calibration
12 hours later, another calibration
From here forward, calibration every 24 hours with no hard stop but some sort of ā€œnagā€ screen.
So hearing ā€œtwo calibrations per dayā€ while I assume you certainly can do EXTRA calibrations, the G6 should only be prompting/nagging for ONE calibration per day (for day #2 through day #10).

1 Like

I agree! Iā€™ll keep my eyes wide open, but on that thread someone mentioned that have heard both things, it worked for some and not for others.

Weā€™ll see!

1 Like

@Kpanda01, can you guide us through the sensor change? based on your experience of course!

@Mila
The functionality is almost certainly in the G6 transmitter.
It would be interesting to get the serial numbers of the transmitters that ALLOW the restart and those that DISALLOW the restart.

(Assuming of course that all reports are accurate.)

I am thinking of when Dexcom implemented the 3 hour backfill with the G5. One could determine which transmitters had the capability and which did not based off the transmitter serial number.
(Now of course all G5 transmitters have the 3-hour backfill capability but for some time there were both versions being distributed)

1 Like

I wasnā€™t able to get that far with my first sensor before it went a little nutty on me, so I replaced it a few hours before the 10 days was up.
When starting a new one, you do have to enter the code off the sensor, and I assume using the same code wouldnā€™t be allowable. You can do it without a code, however my understanding is it will require calibrations if the code isnā€™t entered. Perhaps itā€™s do-able as long as you donā€™t mind continuing calibrations? I guess Iā€™m not experienced enough to be much help here.

I did read somewhere, canā€™t recall where, that someone had been told that the algorithm for day one was different than for subsequent days in an attempt to get it more accurate sooner after a new insertion. If thatā€™s the case, Iā€™d wonder if early accuracy would suffer if you hadnā€™t actually inserted a newbie?

2 Likes

I wish Iā€™d known weā€™d be having this discussion and I could have taken some screenshots for you or something! Their instructions for replacing the sensor and starting a new one werenā€™t the best, and I was so freaked I was going to do something wrong that I barely remember what I did :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Kpanda01

30 lashes with a wet noodle !!!

That is ok. I predict you will get another chance in less then 10 day.

lol

It is likely a long time before we get our hands on a G6.
:frowning:
(due to compatibility with Tandem t:slim X2)

My first sensor expires tomorrow evening, so Iā€™ll definitely be attempting a restart! Trust me, Iā€™ll be taking screenshots and through notes of the whole process.

My plan is to attempt to restart the sensor without entering a code. Based on other peopleā€™s attempts it seems like I should at least start the warmup period. But from there, weā€™ll see. Iā€™ve seen a few people who have attempted restart and had it FAIL (with the ā€œNo Restartsā€ message) but every one I have asked said they entered a code. I havenā€™t come across anyone who did NOT enter a code and then had the restart fail. Whereas the only person Iā€™ve seen allegedly succeed (from Facebook, the post @Mila showed above) did NOT attempt to enter a code. So that could be the difference, though it does seem that would be a pretty darn easy way to circumvent it.

Anyway, I agree with all of your points, Tim. Iā€™m equally curious about how they implemented the hard stop! Iā€™ll know for sure for myself if itā€™s possible tomorrow though! Then you guys will just have to decide if you believe me or not :wink:

3 Likes