G6, my phone and Xdrip

I applied a new sensor this evening. After the 2 hour wait, the Xdrip was blaring that my sugar was 34. (It was actually 116). I did a recalibration and it went sideways. First Xdrip was telling me that I had a calibration error, code 4. I tried to calibrate it again. I was told I had a calibration error, code 4. About 1 minute later, Xdrip screen changed to Signal Missed (top left corner) and a confused calibration code 2 across the bottom.

I tried to fix it, without success. I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it. I put all the Dexcom info in again. I am still getting the Signal Missed message. I need help. I have an LG V60 thin. I am not tech savvy and have no idea what to do.

I have been told by some knowledgeable people online not to calibrate the G6 more than 40 points at a time in order to prevent getting into calibration loops or a situation where the sensor will fail. I would have done several smaller calibrations about 15 minutes apart until my sensor reading was closer to my meter rather than one huge calibration. Unfortunately the situation you ran into is very common for me on the first day of a sensor. After that I find it very accurate.

4 Likes

Thanks for that info. I didn’t know about that calibration issue. I called Dexcom and they are sending out a new sensor. Unfortunately, this is the second sensor in 5 weeks with issues and I am going to run out of sensors before I get home to the new ones.

I find that if the sensor didn’t go in all the way or is slightly bent I have similar issues as you have.
Sometimes the inserter sticks and will not retract.
When that happens I assume I’ll have a bad sensor.
Usually they fail. But all in all 90 percent of my sensors work right

2 Likes

Laddie’s got it right. You have to calibrate the G6 very gently, or it will just refuse it I don’t think anyone’s figured out the exact rule though. I use 40 mg/dl OR 40%, whichever is smaller, as the max amount I can change it at a time.

I’ve never seen a G6 read that low like that, though. Usually I struggle with high readings, especially after a restart.

Have you been doing this a while, or did you just start on the G6. I know some people have a really bad first day with it, before it settles into place. They swear not to calibrate on that first day. (They’re also the ones that benefit from pre-soaking) I’m wondering if you’re one of those, or is this one sensor a fluke?

1 Like

I have been using the G6 since 6/29. I get crazy readings my first 18-24 hours. I can be either very high or very low. It’s not unusual for me to be off by as much as 100 mg/dl. I tried to calibrate because I wanted it to stop blaring at me when I wanted to go to sleep. IDK what pre-soaking means.
I also have a big problem with the sensor tape staying on. By day 7 all my edges have lifted off. If I use surgical tape or Tegaderm to secure it better, I get rashes. I am still rashed at my last 2 sensor sites. Add to that the 6-8 daily injections, I am running out of places to put things. Lol. It should get better once I start using an insulin pump. That is my January project.

I’m not the best person to explain pre-soaking, because I’ve been fortunate to not require it. But it definitely sounds like you’re a good candidate for it.

You basically insert a new sensor early, and completely ignore it for up to a full day. Don’t stop the existing sensor session, don’t insert the transmitter… just ignore it. How long you need to “pre-soak” the sensor depends on how long you usually get crazy, erratic readings when you insert a new one. 6 hours, overnight, 12 hours, 24 hours?

There’s some trauma at the insertion site, along with inflammation, and immune response. That’s the cause of the first day sensor blues. You’re basically just giving it some time to heal from that trauma before you actually plug in the transmitter and start collecting data from that new sensor.

And trust me, you have my sympathy about the rashes. I’ve been right there with you for the last six months or so. Dexcom made a TERRIBLE adhesive change earlier in the year that a LOT of people were allergic to. They had to change back because of the complaints, and I think I’m finally getting back to non-itchy sensors. For the first time in forever with my most recent I haven’t been trying to claw a sensor off.

Have you tried the Flonase (yes, the nasal spray) trick? It doesn’t work for everyone, but I’ve had really good luck with it. You spray it all over the area you’re going to apply the sensor and let it dry, then apply the sensor on top of the Flonase. If it starts to get itchy again, I get a lot of relief by soaking the sensor tape with it. I buy the generic equivalent from Sam’s Club, too. It’s pennies on the dollar, compared to the brand name stuff.

2 Likes

@SusanS
Also, you can try waiting 20 minutes AFTER you remove the old senso BEFORE you START the new sensor. A Dexcom rep told me this and it has really increases the accuracy of the new sensor I the first 24 hours. Sometimes I don’t even need to calibrate it at all.

As for keeping the sensor from coming loose, I don’t have a big problem with Dexcom, but I do with my OmniPod pump pods! I started spraying on Skin-Prep on the skin before placing the pod and it has really, really helped. I’ve tried other methods, too, eg., Flonase, but Skin Prep works best for me.

1 Like