Gastroparesis remission

Interesting to read that your aggressive exercise has proven effective in relieving your GP symptoms. I guess that provides you with added motivation to get out the door and climb hills.

Hi Davyboy

Yes great to hear that the exercise is making a difference. Do you think that’s the main thing contributing to improvement in gastroparesis symptoms? Very encouraging.

You need a 22 series Medtronic pump or a 54 or 23 series pump as they can be remote controlled by OpenAPS or Loop. 12 series Medtronic pumps can also be used with OpenAPS but not all OpenAPS features are available with that pump.

Dana R and Dana RS pumps and Accucheck Combo pumps are all loopable with a different system, AndroidAPS.

I set up a blog website with my own journey here if you are interested:

I’ve linked to lots of relevant sites for further information on the right hand side of the pages (below the post links).

2 Likes

I also got off hot stuff—most chili peppers. I still use regular pepper and lighter heat peppers. I’m also on pantoprazole, but not sure it does any good. It didn’t seem to work the whole time before I began serious exercise.

Does Dana make pumps for sale?? I never heard of an Accuchek pump before.

I read your story and looked at the pics. Timing seems off. I was using plastic throwaways by the mid to late 70s. My first glucose checker was in mid-80s and was the size of a pencil. I kept in in my pocket. I was also upset that closed loop has taken so long. Such digital control devices have been around since the 1970s in some industries. I learned over the year that Medtronic does not have good engineers and worse, want to keep us hooked to their non-updatable pumps till we qualify for a new one. They are a racket. Likely bribed FDA to be the first, and it’s not true closed loop.

Sounds like I need to find an older pump. I can learn the electronics; heard you buy some sort of I/F board and program it from a cell phone. Is that about right?;;

Dave

Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty - power is ever stealing from the many to the few. - Wendell Phillips

I used a glass syringe soaked overnight in methylated spirits and urine testing in 1980. I live in Australia so things might have moved slower here. I was the first person at my major diabetes clinic to go on a pump in 2000. Again, things probably moved slower than wherever you are. I only started CGM as part of looping last year because the cost here is prohibitive.

Here’s a link to the Dana pumps:
http://www.sooil.com/eng/product/

Lots of other info here:

Loop
https://loopkit.github.io/loopdocs/
https://kdisimone.github.io/looptips/

OpenAPS
https://openaps.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

AndroidAPS
https://androidaps.readthedocs.io/en/latest/EN/

Here’s an Australian blog site that talks about the loopable pumps we have available here in case that’s of use to you:

2 Likes

Terry4, thanks for the encouraging note about GP. I am interested if anyone has had the R-R interval heart test that Dr. Bernstein recommends (on pages 59 and 347). I am scheduled to see a cardiologist on March 27th and will ask for that test. Though I have nowhere near the kind of symptoms that many of you speak of, I have had T1 for 28 years. Thankfully my loving wife and I have continuously improved our eating habits over the last 20 years (food IS medicine) and I work at having a large salad at each meal and getting only 30 carbs a day on average. I enjoy fish, chicken and turkey and occassional beef with my meals. I feel good and strong at 64 but want to improve the health of my vagus nerve that is so crucial to our body organs. So I will plan to let you all know how my R-R study comes out compared to what Dr. Bernstein’s ratings. Thanks again for starting this conversation! Rob

2 Likes

Congratulations, Terry4! All of your approaches to mastering the GP symptoms sound great and worked well!

I’m fortunate(?) in the fact that my GP symptoms were from a combo pack of being overweight and using Bydureon, then Trulicity—my sugars/HgA1c improved, but GERD and constipation were awful! Learned never to eat bacon later than noon, or i’d be up all hours sipping Mylanta. The weight loss of 40+ pounds (moderate low carb diet, exercise w/trainer) vastly improved the GERD, and fiber/fiber/fiber made things better overall. Even participated in Senior Olympics powerlifting!

Good luck to all who walk this gnarly path!

1 Like

Welcome to TuD, Rob!

I have not done the R-R tests that Bernstein writes about in his seminal Diabetes Solution book. I have, however, followed up with researching “heart rate variability” or HRV. I bought a heart rate monitor that straps to my chest and transmits to an app on my phone called Elite HRV.

Here are some screenshots from that app.

I don’t fully understand all the terms displayed but the R-R interval and heart rate variability are prominently featured.

@Ms_Mody - Congrats on your weight loss! Good to read that you’ve reined in the GERD and hopefully also moderated your GP symptoms. Thanks for your comment.

The RR as far as I understand is basically your heart rate. Mean RR interval I believe just means the time between beats, which in your case is about 0.713 seconds. Just another way of measuring heart rate as far as I can tell.

Terry, what do you think about this app? How is it helping you?

I was faithfully doing the morning readiness check before my recent two week holiday. It only takes a few minutes. I just started back up this morning. My scores are mostly positive but I do see some surprises from time to time. Here a screen shot of the last three months.

I’ve also used the guided breathing part of the app and I think that has helped train my relaxation response. I’ve seen reference to “heart rate variability” in various contexts and I’d like to know more about the meaning of the statistical terms.

My vacation interrupted my meditation practice, too. I had been doing that several times per week. I started again yesterday and will make an effort to continue. I think deliberately allowing my parasympathetic (rest and digest) side of my nervous system to play a balancing role in my demeanor.

One thing medical providers are trained to look at on an EKG is regularity of rhythm. Maybe HRV is that, I’m not sure. But it also sounds like you understand that it’s reflective of the parasympathetic nervous system. Cool.

On another note, a friend has SVT supraventricular tachycardia and says she’s not in shape, which she knows because her HR does not go down in a fixed amount of time after stopping exercise. I think even though she has SVT, once she’s in shape, the HR rate will go down shortly after stopping exercise. And - speculating here - perhaps the HR in people not in shape will go down shortly after stopping exercise. IOW, not being in shape for her, since she has SVT, is not ideal.