General Question from New User

Hi - I’ve been using an Ominpod for a couple of months. My pump won’t calculate a dose if my bg is below 70. So today my bg was 64. Pump wouldn’t calculate insulin. I ate 15 carbs and 45 minutes later my bg is 222. When I was using an insulin pen I would inject insulin regardless of my bg, based solely on carbs, but by the time the food hit my bg, the insulin would kick in. With the pump, if I wait till my bg starts rising to take a dose, it’s going to be too late. What do you do when your bg is too low for the pump to calculate a dose, but you are going to eat? Thanks.

do a manual bolus. as u can see, waiting too long causes high bg’s. experience in bolusing will lead you to the correct time (more or less) to mitigate going high from eating for a low (which often means over-eating).

I learned ages ago to calculate how many carbs I ate for a low, then figure out how many carbs were excessive, and do 1/2 of a usual bolus for just those excess carbs. ie, if I should have eaten 20 carbs, but ate 100, I’d bolus as if I ate 40 carbs. As far as the timing goes, I’d like to bolus before I hit 100, as the excess carbs are going to raise my bg’s quickly.

If I were in the middle of doing heavy yard work or some other physical endeavor, I wouldn’t typical do much bolusing, even after eating a lot of extra carbs, because much of the time, I would end up getting low a second time.

1 Like

Hi, there!

You can change the setting so that the pump will do the bolus calculation for a lower blood sugar - I think it goes as low as 50.

While not bolusing when low generally makes sense, it’s a little too general of an idea. A couple of ways to deal with that cautionary feature is to moderate how many carbs you take when low - maybe something less than 15 is okay. Or, as Dave suggests, manually override the calculation. You can use the ? to see the math to calculate insulin for 15 carbs. In this case, maybe you deliver half of it, for example.

1 Like

If you have a regular Omnipod, you just don’t enter the BG, you just select the no BG, enter in carbs and it’s good to go.

2 Likes

Thank you

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll try that

1 Like

I didn’t realize I could do that - thanks

1 Like