Getting a pump-- need waterproof-- Vibe or a Ping- your thoughts

I am, although it’s actually through work insurance, not the provincial government. BC funds zero pumps for anyone over age 25 at the moment, though does cover pump supplies (those 25 and under can get pumps covered).

I follow the manual’s instructions when changing the battery. Neither of my pumps, the original one that failed and my replacement pump in which water has also leaked, have had cracks. The battery caps are replaced at 6 month intervals.

I think the pump manufacturers are playing a little loose with their “waterproof” spec as I have never seen a mention of an IP rating. Next year my warranty is up and I will replace this one. Good opportunity to press pump reps for an IP spec, or lack thereof.

My Ping says “IPX8” right on the back.

On page 15 of the Animas Ping Owner’s Booklet, there’s this:

Do you have a Ping or a Vibe? Did Animas replace your pump under warranty due to water leakage? I have no idea what the various levels of IP ratings equipment may receive and where an IPX8 fits in.

The new Medtronic pump (640G or 630G) is also waterproof.

So I learned something about the IP codes. IP stands for “immersion protection.” The next digit is the “solids protection” rating. The final digit is the water protection rating. An “X” means that the item was not formally tested for that characteristic and does not mean that it failed that test. Here’s what I found about the 8 rating for water protection:

I’ve been using my old ping and my old Minimed 511 and I’ll have to say I hate the ping compared to the Minimed. It’s so much harder to do anything on the ping versus the Minimed and I really thought I’d like the ping better. It’s been 10 years on either so couldn’t remember. I thought the connected meter would be cool but now I remember why I never used it, it’s just too big compared to my OneTouch mini and with the Cgm it’s just not that useful.

I’m really considering the Omnipod now but based on the way I use the pump I’m not sure how I will like it always attached. I don’t use my pump for basal so I take it off when I sleep. With omnipod I’d have to always have it on. So hard deciding until you try it!

Add to that my trying Afrezza and it makes it even more difficult lol.

On another note, how accurate is the A1C it shows on the Dexcom Clarity? I’ve gone from a 8.1 to a 6.2 if it’s accurate and i haven’t even come close to getting my sugars stable yet. I hope it’s accurate. :slight_smile:

How do you use your pump, if not for basal? Especially if you’re using Afrezza for boluses? What is the pump for, then?

A pump isn’t just for basal it’s for meal boluses and corrections. I am trying Afrezza not using it excusively.

No, but the main advantage of a pump (in my opinion) is variable basal rates. Extended boluses and the like can be simulated by split mealtime injections. Anyway, I was just curious. :slight_smile:

My main advantage to a pump is not basal rates, maybe it’s yours or others but it’s not mine. Mine is the convienence of not having to take shots multiple times for small corrections and meals. Much easier to push a button. That’s why I use Tresiba so I’m not tied to the pump. I just thought to myself, why don’t I use this pump I have laying around to take my insulin through the day and make it easy on myself? Also if I do eat something that needs a square wave bolus I have that option as well.

Some people use the pump and Afrezza but I’m trying to figure out where it fits into my routine. I’m basically changing my entire routine so trying different things. My main problem right now, which the pump doesn’t fully solve, is the slow absorption and action of Novolog. It makes it more convenient to prebolus but having to wait 30 minutes or more to prevent the after meal spike sucks when you’re rushed especially. Idk, it’s all very frustrating.

But one thing is for sure, the more I wear it, the more I realize what a game changer this Dexcom is for me. It makes me push my pump button many more times but it’s kept me in range a lot more.

2 Likes

You are correct, thanks.
The IPx8 spec per Wikipedia is"…continuous immersion…at a depth >= 1 meter (~39 inches)…generally up to 3 meters (~9 ft, 10 inches)…under conditions specified by the manufacturer…". Good that they specified it, not good that neither of the 2 I have used meet that spec.

1 Like

The “pump wars” are a regular feature around here :wink: Thankfully, it seems to stay very civil these days… we’ve had more excitement over this in the past :grin:

Insofar as water activity goes, I just can’t see anything being as easy and convenient as the Omnipod. As others have said, if you need to change something, get out of the pool for a minute, dry your hands, and do it. Back in the pool/ocean/lake. After all, in a practical sense this situation will be so infrequent anyway that it’s a minor inconvenience.

And Allen, wear the thing on the back of your arms. You’ll forget its there – 100%, even when sleeping.

1 Like

I have really wiry arms… Not much padding at all on them. Do you think this would work for me?

In my experience, the whole “fatty area” thing is overblown. I’ve put them on where the cannula is poking into pretty thin skin/fat over the bottom of my deltoid, and had it work (and feel) just fine.

So I think it would work.

As far as people pinching up during insertion, hard to tell how much “pinching” that means… I think doing that too severely will screw it up, not make it insert better.

I follow the basic instructions to just put my entire palm over the thing and sort of cup it so that it’s pulling up on the locale slightly (rather than pressing in). Seems to get the cannula in at the right angle and depth every time.

You think so? I figured I would feel it quite a bit that that would be turn off for me. I think for me in the end I just have to try it. I have the dummy one but I want to have the cannula in me to see if I feel it. I thought the Animas Ping was going to be great (I have an old one) until I started on it and realized I hate it. Whereas I love my Minimed 511.

The fat available is a non-issue, I thought it was until I saw pics of that Olympic skier wearing it on his chest and everywhere else and he has no discern-able body fat. :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“Allen3, post:36, topic:55345, full:true”]
The fat available is a non-issue, I thought it was until I saw pics of that Olympic skier wearing it on his chest and everywhere else and he has no discern-able body fat. :slight_smile:
[/quote]Yeah, don’t know if it’s the same guy (in fact, I think it was an Olympic skier I remember), but same thing: Put it on his pecs, for Gawds sake, and had no issue.

As for awareness of it, that of course is going to be very individual. All I can say is, for me, I don’t even know it’s there. I’m sitting here right now with a pod on the back of my right arm, and a G5 on the back of my left, and I can not tell they’re there. At all.

When I wear a pod on my thigh, stomach, hips, it’s constantly reminding me it’s there.

Kris Freeman! Cross-country skier:

1 Like

I wouldn’t necessarily say that… I used to swim 2 km of laps several times a week (I’m hoping to get back into this again after a challenging year health-wise), and quite often if I reduced my basal rate before the swim in order to prevent lows, I would have to give a bolus about 15 minutes before the end of the swim in order to not have my blood sugar and ketones skyrocket to ridiculous levels and feel horribly sick about an hour after finishing. With the Ping, I just did the bolus while I was resting at the end of the pool. It was very convenient. I tucked the tubing inside my bathing suit and never had it rip out or anything like that.

Ultimately, I think we all tend to love the pumps we’ve used and had good experiences with. No pump is “better” than another (well, mostly) because they all have essentially the same features and it comes down to personal preferences. I’d definitely give a pump a try, or at least see it in person, before buying it.

1 Like

Yep, that dude’s running about 10% body fat, and he has no problem with it. I’d say you’re good to go almost anywhere, with practice. I don’t know anything about the Omnipod from experience, but I do know a bit about bodyfat lol.