Getting post meal numbers down a bit?

Good point brad. I usually try to do so as well, but maybe haven’t been as good at it lately. Will re-visit my protein consumption :slight_smile:

Good luck on the Pod. I think you’ll love it!

I do this when I know I’m not “prepared,” too, Natasha. I feel it’s way more important to bolus 20min before the meal and add more later than to not get anything on board. I know me and I know I’ll eat at least 30-40g, even if I haven’t decided where or what I’m eating yet!

Pre-pregnancy though (TTC), the doctors all want you to know where you are at 1 hour post-prandial. It’s not unreasonable to strive to keep that number down below 140 mg/dL for tight control. I disagree that you should ignore the 1 hour mark. It helped me bring my A1c in range to take note of it.

Just be mindful that you aren’t trying to CORRECT it at 1 hour when you don’t know yet where your BG is headed over the rest of the insulin’s duration. If it’s high at 1 hour, the correction should be that you bolus earlier or bolus more before the meal the next time you eat that item.

This helped me with my post-breakfast numbers. I was spiking, even bolusing early and eating only 1 piece of toast (14g carb). My endo had me add an egg every morning and, lo and behold, no more spikes.

Thanks Melissa/ This makes so much sense about testing at 1 hour, but being prepared the next time, rather than correcting! I am striving for under 140 at the 1 hour mark, but feel I’ll never get there. Keeping those damn records! Why am I so BAD at doing so!!? I know if I do I’ll get a better picture…maybe hypnotism with get me on track? :slight_smile:

I rarely achieved 140 at 1 hour during my pregnancy, but I kept striving. I was consistently at 160-180 at 1 hour, but could be at 120 by 2 hours and 100 by 3 hours, so I was happy.

Those numbers sound great!!