Give None Take None

I can’t get myself to ask or to give diabetes advice. Even after 13 years with this disease, I am no better at giving people diabetes advice than your average nurse (no offense to nurses, but I have seen the rants lol) No matter the question, I don’t have an answer. People can write these long, highly detailed responses to someone’s life threatening problems, and I’m just sitting there thinking “I have no idea.”

Maybe it’s because I have it easy. I take 4-5 shots a day, with a ratio of 1-10 at lunch and dinner. There’s some guess work still in the morning, but I’ll figure it out soon enough. I don’t get random lows. I don’t get random highs. My insulin seems to work about the same day to day, week to week. With very minimal effort, my A1c is 6.2. I’m the only diabetic at my school that has an A1c less than 9. One of them has to take 15+ units for a small meal consisting of 2 hot dogs. The same meal for me would only require 4-5 depending on the toppings. They have asked me advice before, but for the life of me, I have no idea what they are going through. I know the obvious answer is they need to take more insulin, but that’s the most I can say.

Maybe it’s my personality. I can’t stand the thought of someone getting hurt based off of my bad advice. I have really no reason to fear it, I should be able to count on another person making a reasonable decision, but I fear if I say something, they might end up in the hospital.

As far as asking for advice, my problems never seem like they are bad enough to even bother posting. Sure, my mornings are bad, but no body knows how exactly my insulin affects me better than myself. I had a doctor suggest I eat more protein, but she said she doesn’t know enough about my insulin to give me advice on dosages.

Then when I do have a problem, and I DO post about it, I ALWAYS seem to spark controversy. I had a problem with a teacher, and as I have said in an earlier blog, I was accused of trolling and the topic got locked. Maybe this is why I don’t ask questions. Maybe it’s just that I’m afraid of what the answer might be.

I’ll ask about non-D things, like how to navigate an intersection on my bike, or how I managed to hit myself in the face with a 100lb bar in powerclean (still need an answer for that lol) but if I have a question about how to dose for those activities, I won’t ask and instead, I’ll figure it out by myself

Too afraid to ask, too afraid to tell.

Why am I posting this? I don’t know. Why do I even join these sites if I’m not a productive member? I still don’t know. I just don’t know.

I think everybody on here assumes they have a built-in disclaimer. Posters on here often suggest that someone consult with their medical team if the problem seems really difficult. Many of us, including myself, describe and label what we say as what works for ourselves. Then it’s up to anyone to figure out what is likely to work for themselves, or call their doctor, or just get further educated. Please continue to ask questions, because as I said, it’s an education. Good luck!

I’m super glad you posted it. Great blog, and I’m not even gonna tell you why, so there!

great, now theres something ELSE i don’t know… why do people on the internet like my writing, but my english teacher doesn’t?

Hah, I think it has to do with the candid nature of the blog post and the humour you put into it to lighten the topic. Great blog post!

Hey TimmyMac,

Are you on NPH?

no, I’m on humalog and lantus