Giving Thanks ... Thanksgiving 2007

Giving Thanks … Thanksgiving 2007

I don’t often write enough about the GOOD things in my life, so I thought I’d take the opportunity to stop and be grateful for the big and little things that make my life so much better than it could be.

I have a wonderful husband, who loves me as much as I love him. His love and caring can pull me through the darkest of days, his sense of humour and silliness brings me giggles any time.

That family and friends are mostly just an Email or instant message away. We may be on the other side of the world to each other, but our contact keeps us part of each others lives.

For good friends. Earlier this year when I was down because of my health, one of my friends organised to have postcards sent to me from around the world. These cards bring me a smile every time I see them - which is often!

For kind strangers. I sometimes receive a postcard out of the blue from one or two of the people who sent me postcards earlier this year - always a lovely surprise to my day.

That our neighbour’s cat has decided she likes our back garden better than her own and visits frequently but doesn’t make a pest of herself. That she likes me, lets me pet her and tell her how gorgeous she is.

That my GP cares and listens to me, scheduling my appointments for extra time to cover my full gamut.

For RDNS nurses that come do my dressings every Monday, Wednesday and Friday - with a sense of humour and great rapport.

My diabetes is still managed by diet and exercise.

The breast cancer I had in 2001 has not returned.

That even though I have osteo-arthritis, lymphedema, diabetes and a chronic abscess, that this is all I have - so many have so much worse.

For my smile. I went without teeth for a year and finally had dentures fitted last January.

That I can choose what operating system I use on my computer, and while I’d still like something a little faster, I’m glad I have the computer I do have.

The Internet - what an amazing fantastic thing to be able to communicate with my family and meet so many people who understand some of the trials and tribulations I’ve been going through. These are people I’d never meet in ‘real life’ because we live all over the world.

For online communities like Tu Diabetes, SugarStats, DevArt and Flickr and sites like my Random Experiments blog and personal website where I can share whatever, whenever, and others can too.

That finger lancing devices in this century are so much gentler than those I used way back in the 80’s. And that glucose monitors are so much more advanced than matching colour swatches on the side of a bottle after minutes of waiting.

That we have a roof over our heads, with amenities like ADSL, heating and a/c.

That my kids have turned out to be amazing adults, and that there’s a little guy on the way who will be my first grandson.

Howard finally called the election, and that it will finish on Saturday. Whoo Hoo! Bring on the new ‘regime’!

To live in the best country in the world, where people are good to each other and the views are incredible.

To have a good pair of glasses that fit, look good, and most of all, give me better sight.

For things like being able to find great recipes online. For the 2nd year in a row, I’ve made a pumpkin pie that’s diabetes friendly and tastes yummy. Only a few years ago making pumpkin pie was a mystery to me and something I’d never tried before. Then I didn’t know how to cope with having to source pumpkin for it as all I’d ever done in the past was open a can. Today at least I know how to cook a butternut squash in the oven, scoop out the cooked inside and measure it up to use in pie. And it tastes great!

To have the ability to bring a smile to other people. Today I told two people they looked great and it was a delight to see their faces light up.

I may not have health or wealth, but I do have good people in my life, and my days are full and fullfilling.