Gizmo

A few weeks ago, my friend, Chris, dutifully named my pump “Gizmo.” Where the name comes from, I don’t really know. But, poor Gizmo did not previously have a name, so it has stuck. I told him I would one day blog about the naming adventure… so now I have. =o)

Anyway, Gizmo and I had a rough time last night/this morning.

I went to a birthday party yesterday evening. We ate pizza, jumped in the pool for an hour or so, ate cake and ice cream… a typical birthday party. My 4-year old neice is very good with technology (seriously! She can e-mail (not type much, but she knows the process), play with the picture program, use an iPhone… she’s good!). Anyway… the party. We ate pizza and hung out talking and reading the paper. When it was time to get in the pool, I took off Gizmo and put it on the table with everyone else’s phones and we told all the kids to keep water away from the table (for the sake of everyone’s electronics!). My niece got tired of swimming so she asked to play a game on her parents’ phones. She played their games, got tired of them, so she went on to everyone’s phones (and Gizmo apparently) to play games.

After the pool, we all had cake and ice cream. Then, we all hung out watching the kids play Wii and drinking coffee. My husband and I left shortly after that. We went home, I tested my blood sugar (164) and we went to bed.

Around two this morning, my husband (who has some sort of sixth sense about lows) woke me up to test and have some juice. I kept telling him that I had to get to the grocery store before they ran out of asparagus (right… because that happens all the time!). Anyway, I’m sure I said lots of other stupid things… but I did test… 44 (maybe a new low). I drank tons of juice and ate a snack (because that is something I really wanted to do at 2am!). After fully recovering, I was still puzzled at the sudden dramatic drop in my blood sugar. I did some searching through Gizmo’s memory and found that my techno-savvy niece had programmed a huge bolus for me… isn’t that sweet! grrr!

Now, I am fine at 146 and I need to go make breakfast and get busy on all the stuff I have on the list today. I have learned my lesson as well and will always, ALWAYS put Gizmo out of reach of children when I’m not wearing it!

Wow. That’s a scary pump experience. I’m glad that you (your husband caught the low). Be sure to stock up on asparagus. For some reason, your subconscious apparently wants you to!

BTW, I like the name Gizmo!