Glimpse the future

I too don’t post very often but have gained much from lurking here. Just want to remind anyone new to G6 that it really does read low for its first couple days, so i try to always calibrate on the first low, or even before. Otherwise, I end up up crazy lows that are not accurate and then I over compensate and wind up high.

2 Likes

And

This is really interesting! I have read a few comments where some people have no issues at all with having to calibrate. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I think that this really goes to show that this “doesn’t require calibration” stuff should be taken with a grain of salt. In other words, you should pay attention to what the common experiences are, and also how you yourself have similar, or different, experiences.

For anyone new to this disease, know that while it’s extremely useful to know what other people’s experiences are, know that everyone’s diabetes is different. You need to learn what to pay attention to, in terms of exploring your own body’s quirks.

I’m not sure where to post thus question, but here goes.

I’ve been getting insulin for my insulin pump from Walgreens for over 20 years, and for the past 7 years (since I got on Medicare), it has been covered by Part B/medigap.

Now all of a sudden, Walgreens tells me that it has to be Part D. I tried to explain that I am on a pump (t:slim) and it is under Part B. They say they called Medicare and were told insulin is ONLY covered under Part D. I know that’s wrong but I need to be able to point to a document from Medicare themselves that says Pt B applies. And I know there’s some form that gets filled out to get that done - it takes the brand & serial number if the pump, etc.

Can anyone point me to the documentation so I can take it Walgreens and show them?

Thanks, all. Have a Happy New Year!

This may help.

costs in Original Medicare

You pay 100% for insulin (unless used with an insulin pump, then you pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount, and the Part B deductible applies). You pay 100% for syringes and needles, unless you have Medicare drug coverage (Part D).

Insulin savings through the Part D Senior Savings Model

Starting January 1, 2021, you may be able to get Medicare drug coverage that offers broad access to many types of insulin for no more than $35 for a 30-day supply. You can get this savings on insulin if you join a Medicare drug plan or Medicare Advantage Plan with drug coverage that participates in the insulin savings model. This model lets you choose among drug plans that offer insulin at a predictable and affordable cost.

Find a plan that offers this savings on insulin in your state. You can also filter and compare participating plans to help you find the plan that’s right for you. You can join during Open Enrollment (October 15 – December 7, 2020).

(End article)

It looks like changes take effect in 2021 that will lower cost under Part D plans, and may be why they are confused.

Many years ago, when I was getting my test strips from Walgreens paid for by Medicare Part B, a Walgreens pharmacy tech told me that she called Medicare and was told that my test strips were not covered by Medicare. This was at a time when Medicare did cover test strips.

After asking some more detailed questions, I discovered that the Walgreens tech was not calling Medicare but the Walgreens central office that handled Walgreens Medicare claims, not Medicare itself. My strips were indeed still paid for by Medicare Part B.

@Terry4, I am having the exact same problem you are having starting at 12 AM. Resetting my basal rates does not help very much for the next night. If I finally have things running more smoothly, it is time to change infusion sets, and the problem starts all over again. That is because of scar tissue that seems to appear in varying amounts on all usable regions of my body. That is no surprise after 75 years of T1D.
I test with a fingerstick 6 times per day before meals, snacks and at bedtime. My Dexcom G6 frequently differs from my glucometer by as much as 20 points. I am wondering if scar tissue can affect the outcomes of a CGM reading. I called Dexcom about this. They do not recommend using a sensor in a region containing scar tissue, but that is the only statement I was given. I do not know exactly the precise locations of my scar tissue. The amount of scar tissue present can vary a lot from one location to another.