Glooko, MySugr, Diasend, OneDrop - which one is best?

@msmusiq, do both MySugr and Glooko have good web interfaces?

My son is using MyNetDiary for all his logging. it works realy well for that, but it is unable to import the BG data from Dexcom. We had a look at the Glooko app, but really disliked the logging. I am wondering if it might make sense to use the MySugr App for logging, excahnge info through the Apple healthkit, and use the Glooko app for web reports? Even then, I would probably want to be able to look at the MySugr data through a web interface too.

@WestOfPecos I like the web interfaces for mySugr and Glooko very much. I’ve not yet figured out how to view my Dexcom data in the web-based version of mySugr so I view that primarily in the app (which I love). If it’s possible to do, I’m hoping that someone may post a correction to my assumption that it’s not possible.

Dexcom data is easily viewed in Glooko and I find the interface modern, sleek and easy to use.

MySugr is unique in that it encourages you to log your data by scoring points and completing challenges. You name your D-monster and it gives audio commentary on your entry based on what your numbers are (which I always find hilarious!). Not sure how old your son is, but It could very possibly be a way to engage him and remove some of the boredom from logging.

1 Like

Another vote for My Sugr here. Love it. Two things not previously mentioned: 1. The reports you can print out or email to your doctor. My endo loves them. 2. When I’ve had problems with the app, I get an immediate response from a real-live person.

1 Like

I have been using Glooko and have found it quite good. I’ve recently been a bit slack with uploading my data to it. There are a few minor criticisms I’d have with it.

One is that the food diary is a bit cumbersome, it does remember things you’ve added but you can’t really save regular meals, or anything like that. Which is a pain!

The other is that if you’re using Dexcon CGM and you have Dexcom set to read in mmol/ml, so basically you aren’t based in America, Glooko won’t actually sync with the dexcom data!

Does anyone know if this is the same for mysugr?

mySugr was developed in Europe, so I’m sure they would work w mmol/ml units

1 Like

Thanks much for the mySugr love, @msmusiq! We’d love to hear more about how we can improve the reports and make them more useful for you.

You’re correct that the Dexcom data is only visible on mobile devices.

Yes, mySugr can deal with either mmol/L or mg/dL (or if you’re fancy, even a mix of both :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Thanks for the love, @Flem07! So glad to hear you’ve had such a good experience with our support team - they’re awesome. Another thing to note is that they all live with diabetes, which we think is pretty helpful. We’re super lucky to have such a great team.

Oh! Another thing I mean to add above - we recently announced an integration agreement with Medtronic. It will initially roll-out in the US, then go internationally. This means that if you have your data in CareLink, it will automatically synchronize into mySugr. I don’t have an exact release date yet, but it’s coming soon. Stay tuned!

Scott, I am a bit confused:

• is there a way to access reports from the web?
  • do I understand correctly that I cannot see a combined visual trace that has Dexcom info and other points of interest (such as carbs and insulin) on the same graphic?
1 Like

Could anyway display an example of the graphical display you can get from the Glooko app, combining Dexcom input with as much else as possible?

We are using MyNetDiary (Diabetes option) and cannot get a graphical view that combines Dexcom data with everything else. The interface is quite good, in particular for the food - but we really want integrated info display with Dexcom.

@WestOfPecos - Sure thing, thanks for asking.

First, here is the screen from mySugr with the graph showing my BG entries, dexcom trace, carbs, boluses, basal rate, a temp rate (the little squiggle around noon), and activity, along with individual log entries below that I can tap into for additional details.

The Dexcom information and activity information comes in automatically via Apple Health, the rest I’m manually entering (or comes from my settings (in the case of my basal rate)). The Dexcom information has a three-hour delay before it shows up because it’s coming in via Apple Health.

Here is a look at what the PDF report looks like (the above screenshot is from yesterday, the 18th, if you want to correlate):

To generate the PDF reports directly from your smartphone, you’ll need mySugr Pro ($2.99/month) which also provides multi-device synchronization (among other things). But you can generate them from the website anytime even without mySugr Pro. I don’t know how old your son/daughter is, but he/she could use the app on their phone and you’ll see the information on yours almost immediately. I should also mention (because you note using MyNetDiary) that we do not have a food database with mySugr.

There is currently a limited-feature web interface for mySugr, but the company is really focusing in on the mobile space so I don’t think the web interface will continue to keep pace with the mobile versions of the app.

Let me know what other questions you have - I’m happy to help answer them.

1 Like

@Scott_K_Johnson, thanks very much for putting all this MySugr information on the forum, that’s great. I am sure it will help many more people than me,

A very small cost compared to other diabetes supplies:-)

1 Like

Let me start by saying I use a Samsung Note 5 and have never owned an anything that uses an Apple platform. I am a type 2 and currently use a Contour Next One meter but since my insurance dropped the Contour Next One from it’s formulary list I am exploring options for when my current test strip supply runs out.

People…Since you need to go into the app to log things like food and medications, I don’t understand why everybody makes it sound like it is so bad if the meter doesn’t sync readings to the app. These is seldom a test when I am not adding some other element (insulin does, food, etc.) to the log.

I have used both MySugr and OneDrop for several months and before these, looked at several other apps available for Android devices.

The best feature in OneDrop is the built in food database and the ability to scan UPC codes to find nutritional information. I also love the ability to schedule medication reminders. As negative, BG, food, medication are all treated as independent events instead of treating my BG before the meal, the carbs I ate and the insulin does I took to cover the meal as components of a single event. I have abandoned use of OneDrop. The reporting is also not sufficient for my needs. I have regular appointments during the year with my “Family Practice” MD who doesn’t look at the logbook reports but at the annual appointment I have with CDE about 45 minutes is spent with a nutritionist who wants to see not just the BG, carb count and insulin dose but the detail food log that goes with the carb count. One drop reports do not include the food log, or any other notes that you may enter. What is the point of entering them into the system if there is no way to report them back out.

I have used MySugr for at least a over a year now. The log entries are very easy to complete, they treat all activities associated with an event (meal) as a single entry which makes reviewing any effects (good, bad or otherwise) easy to do both on screen and in the reports. I was a premium member for 2 months when I tried their unlimited test strips bundle during a promotion. I had trouble with the SIZE of the Accu-Chek Guide meter that was part of the bundle (too big to fit in the small pouch of diabetes supplies that I carry). I found the features included in the premium upgrade are not worth the monthly subscription price apart from the unlimited test strip bundle so I am back to using just the basic “free” version of the app. The biggest drawback I find with MySugr is that it is missing a food database. I often use MyNetDiary to build my meal for the carb count to enter into MySugr. As a basic version user, a person must log into their account at MySugr.com to create reporting. Premium users can generate reports within the app. My CDE team does not like the PDF version of reporting as too much important detail is in very tiny print as footnotes to a day’s log entries. To get reporting that they like I download to Excel and then spend about 20 to 30 minutes formatting the report, including the erasing of all the cute icons that are fun withing the app but add excessive clutter in reporting.

Bottom line by far the best and most complete Diabetes Logbook app for my needs is MySugr. Hopefully the Accu-Chek Guide test strips will have a new, smaller meter option sometime in the near future.

3 Likes

Those points are valid in the Apple, iOS version. Those of us trying the Android version of OneDrop are still waiting for most of those features.

Does that include that the CGM values will cary across into MySugr if my dexcom is set to obtain the values as MMol/l? The issue I have with Glooko is that my Glooko app is set to Mmol/l, but it can’t import my CGM values from Health on my iPhone as that is set to mmol/l…

Does MySugr also have any kind of automated upload process for standard BGL meters. or is it all manual entry?

Yes, it should work fine even if your Dexcom is using mmol/L. I know of at least one person who has a mix of mmol/L & mg/dL devices.

We’re (still) working to get the integration with the Accu-Chek Connect meters finalized in the U.S., but I don’t have any release dates available.

1 Like

I’ve used Diasend in the past and that platform is great about getting everything in the same report frame: insulin, carbs, exercise.

The report that helps me steer, the most useful feedback to me, is the Clarity 14-day standard day report. It covers just enough days to point out trends but not too long to obscure more recent problems. I value a time in range number, time hypo, BG variability, and average BG statistics. I prefer CGM data to fingerstick because it describes things better.

As far as all of the other systems, I’m not familiar enough to review. I think it’s fundamentally important that you engage with whatever data you watch. The more you watch it, the more likely you’ll influence it for the better.

1 Like

Valid point Dale8 about the tiny print in the footnotes on the reports in My Sugr. It is much too small.