Glucose Tolerance Test

Has anyone had a 5 hour Glucose Tolerance Test with the Omnipod Pump ? Do you suspend the pump basal ?

We have been doing these for the clinical trial periodically but this is the first one since going on the pump in June. We fast, then drink a protein liquid drink and then they draw blood at intervals for about 5 hours. In the past we still did the nighttime dose of Levemir basal but just did no bolus since there was no food.

The person confirming the appointment said we would be suspending the pump for the 5 hours of the test. We had always been told to do this for four hours or more would send our son to the hospital.

I think I will talk to the CDE and Nurse when we get there. This just doesn't sound right to me.

If you supsended the basal it would be like somehow pulling the levemir back out of his body for that 5 hours (which you wouldn’t and didn’t do, right? :wink:
I would say that you would not suspend, and just let it ride, like normal.

Suspending for 5 hours would definitely send your son’s BG up significantly, and then if you put glucose drink into the equation on top of that, you’d be pretty darned high at the end of the study. I guess I would say for a point of clarification, if it’s a glucose tolerance test, is it really a protein drink? I’m confused by that. In either case, I would recommend not suspending the basal. Hope the CDE and/or nurse can help out :slight_smile:

I agree with Bradford. It doesn’t make sense to suspend the basal. When I had to do a fasting test, I got advice from my endo on what to do. Is that an option?

I always operate on the equation of 1 mg/dL rise in blood sugar per 1 minute of disconnect, which has been quoted to me from various sources. I would be freaked at the thought of being disconnected for up to 300 minutes AND ingesting glucose simultaneously. It seems like they could at least suggest a reduced temp basal if nothing else. Ick.

Thanks to eveyone with your help on this. This really made me nervous but the nurse assurred me that they were careful and had done this test on all of the clinical trial patients and rarely were not able to finish the test. We also made sure the endo was in the office.

They did in fact suspend his pump for 5 hours (or really 2 hours twice and 1 hour once) taking blood at designated intervals to measure mainly peptide levels one year after diagnosis. They also took BG readings along the way to make sure that he was not dangerously high from drinking a certain amount of Boost high protein drink (33g carbs/18g sugar each bottle and he had more than one) based on his weight.

He did rise but not really as much as you might think. He was in the high 200s at the end. He started fairly low at 70 upon rising and then rose to 90 after we temped his basal for fear that he would have to reschedule the test because he had to eat. Then when they started the test, they had him suspend basal to the max time of 2 hours. We have had higher numbers with pizza and hockey even with insulin.

It looks like we may still be honeymooning after one year. The expermiental drug from the clinical trial may be helping with that. We hope!