Going to Switzerland in 2 days. What to expect?

We're going to Geneve for 10 days. My first and most pressing concern is my pump. I'm currently using the sensor. What's the airport security like there? I've got a little card from my hospital bearing its logo and saying I'm diabetic and need my pump at all times. Now I've been through security in three different airports (Riyadh, Manchester, Dubai and London) with my pump but I've noticed that their policies and regulations vary a great deal. Never with a minilink on. My BG is usually under control- what with all the moving around- when I travel and is never a concern. What sets me off is supplies and such. I tend to be forgetful so you understand my anxiety when I post a thread every time I plan on traveling :* I once lost my pen novofine needles in Manchester. When I went to the nearest boots they said I needed a prescription -Fortunately, I relocated the missing box- Is it like that in Switzerland? Do I need a travel insurance? What if something goes wrong with my pump?

I'd also love it if anyone could supply some useful phrases in French and German( both I understand are widely used where we plan on going) such as I'm diabetic and this is an insulin pump and that kind of stuff.

Thanks and sorry if this is too repetitive. I googled-most of what I found was outdated- but I'd like to hear from you guys.

When I travel abroad ...I include crossing the border from Canada into the US and flying to exotic places...could be Amsterdam :) , I order a travel loaner pump from Medtronic ...the question for me is : have you given yourself enough preparation time to order a travel loaner pump ?? Minilink ( GCMS ) is supposed to be turn off , while flying , as read on page Introduction 7 of Paradigm Veo MiniMed User Guide .
...I always have taken out Travel Insurance ; had to use it several times : in Greece, Hawaii , Bali ...so never had any regrets .
Have fun ...Switzerland is fantastic !!

I neglected to mention ...we had booked a trip to Hawaii 6 plus years ago ...another good thing we had cancellation insurance ...I broke my wrist and required surgery and was in a cast for 6 weeks ...Surgeon suggested not to travel ...the insurance covered our trip expense and what ever else was involved.

Medtronic has a good travel list on their web sight..pretty through

As far as airport security...just go with the plan...a sense of humor works best

Geneva will be easy just speak English...;-)

#1 German = Kann ich ein Bier bitte haben?...I will have a beer

2# German = Wo ist die Toilette, bitte?...where is the toilet

#1French = Puis-je avoir de la bière, s'il vous plaît ?....I will have a beer

2# French = pardon, où sont les toilettes?...where is the toilet..

Just kidding...I have no idea what phrases would be important to you....

I envy you ...Geneva will be beautiful

Thats very reassuring. I could almost see myself gesticulating that first and I realized I don’t have a sign for diabetes :smiley:
Thank you all. I’ll look up that list. And we’ll Probably try to hop on a train and visit some of the neighboring places.

1. Yes, you should get travel insurance (just in case).

2. Regarding airport security - NEVER wear your pump through one of the body-scanners. You can go through a standard metal detector but that's it. NEVER remove your pump and place it through the x-ray machine. If you run into resistance, ask for a supervisor. You should opt for the pat down while keeping your pump on you at all times. DO NOT DISCONNECT because there is the small chance that you could become separated from your pump. Get the pat down and make sure that if you have a spare pump with you, that too gets hand-screened.

3. In terms of keeping track of your stuff, this is what I do. I keep enough D supplies (infusion sets, prep pads, insulin, reservoirs, etc) on me at all times to get through the trip. Then I pack some extra in each of my pieces of luggage. When you go out, always make sure to leave some of your supplies behind. Stay organized!! When I travel, I keep all my "stuff" in the same location wherever I stay (i.e., I don't spread my possessions all over the room I'm staying in, but keep everything together when I'm in my room to ensure that I don't forget anything when I leave for my next location). While Switzerland has very low rates of crime, still make sure to always keep your stuff in a safe location and never, ever take your eyes off your purse/day bag when out in public. Tourists are always an easy target.

4. I don't know how things are where you are, but here in the U.S., Minimed offers a free loaner program when you travel abroad. I just used it and it was fantastic. I got a loaner pump for $50 that I could keep for several months while traveling. While I know I could always do shots in an emergency, it was SO NICE to have that extra pump with me.