Good news but feeling so sad

Great question Gretchen! As I began learning the symptoms of My T1, realized the onset was at least 4 years…didn’t have it in me to look back further. Had too many things to learn, manage and grieve over.

Sometimes celebrations include tears, and suggest we all remember to let people in when they are truly trying to support and help. I can say this because, am prone toward not letting people in when am feeling less than “cheerful.”

2 Likes

@Bronte Every step in the right direction is a great step! The tears could just be from plain weariness of carrying this burden from which there is no rest. There are so few times that we get a good ‘atta boy’ for all of the hard work we do. So little praise and so much critique. So congratulations…take a bow…and a tissue!! :blush:

4 Likes

Is this true, that hypoglycemia, not hyperglycemia, continue to these complications? I’ve asked my doctor and she only says that hypoglycemia is dangerous, obviously, but does not contribute to complications.

I can present a sample of some research on this topic for your consideration:

A. Pena, et al., “Hypoglycemia, But Not Glucose Variability, Relates to Vascular Function in Children with Type 1 Diabetes,” Diabetes, Technology, and Therapeutics, 14 (6) 457-462: “Hypoglycemia, but not glucose variability … relates to impaired vascular endothelial function in children with type 1 diabetes.”

M. Gimenez, et al., “Repeated Episodes of Hypoglycemia as a Potential Aggravating Factor for Preclinical Atherosclerosis in Subjects with Type 1 Diabetes,” Diabetes Care, 34 (1) 1980203 (2011): “… repeated episodes of hypoglycemia could be related to and considered an aggravating factor for preclinical atherosclerosis in type 1 diabetes. The precise mechanisms explaining this association remain to be clarified.”

A. Sheen, “Central Nervous System: A Conductor Orchestrating Metabolic Regulations Harmed by Both Hyperglycaemia and Hypoglycaemia,” Diabetes and Metabolism, Supplement 3, S31-S38 (2010): “… the brain is mainly a glucose-dependent organ, which can be damaged both by hypoglycaemia and hyperglycaemia.”

J. Snell-Bergeon and R. Wadwa, “Hypoglycemia, Diabetes, and Cardiovascular Disease,” Diabetes, Technology, and Therapeutics, Supplement S51-S58 (2012):“There is evidence that hypoglycemia may adversely affect cardiovascular risk in patients with diabetes … . Hypoglycemia causes a cascade of physiologic effects and may induce oxidative stress and cardiac arrhythmias, contribute to cardiac death, and cause ischemic cerebral damage … .”

D. Oyer, “The Science of Hypoglycemia in Patients with Diabetes,” Current Diabetes Reviews, 9 (3) 195-208 (2013): “Long-term effects of severe hypoglycemia, aside from causing accidents, may include adverse cardiovascular outcomes and cognitive impairment.”

H, Snell-Bergeon and K. Nadeau, “Cardiovascular Disease Risk in Young People with Type 1 Diabetes,” Journal of Cardiovascular Translational Research, 5 (4) 446-462 (2012): “This review discusses the risk factors for CVD [cardiovascular disease] for people with T1D [type 1 diabetes], including hyperglycemia …, as well as novel risk factors such as insulin resistance, inflammation, and hypoglycemia.”

@Seydlitz Wow, thank you. There seems to be quite a lot of research indicating hypo related complications. I can’t say I’m surprised though because having experienced them myself I can’t help but wonder what the long term effect is, especially from frequent occurrences. If you don’t mind me asking, how did you find these articles, and do you need a paid subscription to access them?

This research by Joslin found no long-term effects of hypoglycemia… It is from 2007 though…

Does the severity of hypoglycemia matter though? I haven’t read the research, but find it hard to believe that mild hypoglycemia, such as blood sugars in the 3s, makes much of a difference - I think some non-diabetics experience this.

This is known as “cherry picking research.” Yes, maybe we can argue that repeated severe hypoglycemia is associated with cardiovascular stress and cognitive impairments. But the studies at this point now make a compelling case the diabetes complications are associated and likely caused by hyperglycemia. We have an overwhelming number of studies which support the association and studies like DCCT (that @gretchen points out) were essentially intervention studies which showed the causal relationship between hyperglycemia and complications. And to add to the pile of evidence, there is a ton of research on the actual mechanisms by which high blood sugars do damage and cause complications.

It is both wrong and harmful to argue that hypoglycemia causes complications. Sure, avoid hypoglycemia as hypoglycemia alone can cause you harm. But please, please don’t run your blood sugar high thinking that this will protect you against complications. It will in fact do the opposite, possibly doing permanent harm.

3 Likes

I never, never said or implied that hyperglycemia does not cause diabetic complications. What I did say, however, is that there is also evidence that other things, too, cause the neurological and vascular complications associated with diabetes, and these include genetics, continuing autoimmunity, and hypoglycemia. I posted on this topic a while ago with extensive scientific evidence under the topic, ‘What Causes Diabetic Complications?’

All things if moderation, folks. :slight_smile: That includes one’s bg’s. It’s rather pointless to be defending either severe, repeated hypos, or by the same token, consistently grossly high hypers. Keep it as level as you can–you all know that’s the best way to avoid complications; not to mention the best way to avoid feeling like crud.

1 Like

“Sometimes celebrations include tears, and suggest we all remember to let people in when they are truly trying to support and help. I can say this because, am prone toward not letting people in when am feeling less than “cheerful.” “

And, also remember all the tears from WINNERS, from Miss America to Super Bowl champs!

When I read Bronte’s original comment, the song, “I Always Cry at Weddings” from “Sweet Charity” popped up in the Joy center of my brain! Then “Cry for Happy” from “?..” (forget which musical!). All the work and worry and fear involved in diabetes needs an outlet.

2 Likes

One could also argue tears at weddings can be from all the divorced people … hahahaha

1 Like

I’ve often wondered if there is a direct correlation between the lavishness of a wedding and the likelihood that the couple will divorce.

1 Like

Romanticism does play a role, imo.

Hi Bronte, how are you? Sorry if this reply is quite late, but I know that feeling bro :stuck_out_tongue: *InsertTrueStoryMemeHere.

Last year I’ve put down my A1C from 10.2 (just like yours) from 8.4 and then, at the end of 2017, to 6.9. Now my goal is, next July, to go for the 6!

So, that kind of bittersweet feeling I think is some kind of relief :slight_smile: You know, low your A1C by 2 points is very good, is a step. Maybe you were kind of nervous about the result before and then when you saw the result…

So, hope that you keep doing this job to put your A1C to the level that belongs. Is not easy, but that 2 points, that 10 to 8, is a very good start. Keep Pushing!

3 Likes