Good News for Dexcom Haters

The alternative is almost here.

1 Like

prognosticators. If they were always right they would be billionaires.

1 Like

I’d take any report written by a Hedge Fund manager with a huge grain of salt.

I’d be shocked if author Ben Axler (Spruce Point Capital Management) doesn’t have a large position in Abbot

2 Likes

When he says this:

T1 diabetics - a surprisingly price-sensitive population

I’d guess he doesn’t have diabetes, either.

2 Likes

In my microeconomics class they introduced a term called, “price elasticity” with regard to demand. It means that consumers are very price sensitive and have to ability to change manufacturers or stop using a product if prices are too high. It is a key tenet to the concept of a competitive market.

Without fail, the product that was continually held as the best example of an “inelastic” product (which means consumers are compelled to purchase regardless of how high a price is charged) was Insulin.

3 Likes

Really. Like we are all happy to go into DKA rather than pay those $300 charges for a vial of insulin, amiright?

The article is a mix of truths and falsehoods. It makes it a difficult read.

Very heavy spin. There certainly is truth in there but one has to carefully wade through and one should not make any assumption about anything stated within.

2 Likes

You know, Abbot had a bunch of lawsuits filed against medical device security researchers until they were purchased by St Jude. If I remember correctly, they were filed against the pacemaker guys. Makes me distrust them.

I used to teach a university graduate course in investing. I always started out the first session by telling the students that if I knew how to get rich by investing, I sure wouldn’t tell them. I’d be out doing it for myself.

4 Likes