Good News! Still Struggling, But We're Getting There

Hello all!

For those of you who have been helping me get along on this T1D journey (11 years and counting!) I just wanted to share some quick good news. I got my labs back and my cholesterol has dropped from 200 to 137 (LDL) in 6 months with NO meds. Thank goodness! I've been fighting my docs about going on Lipitor for 5 years and I FINALLY brought it down on my own! We're still working on it, but we're getting there. I'd like to see it around 100 (though I know diabetics should be closer to 70) High cholesterol runs in my family and I don't want to have unrealistic expectations.

My sodium level is great, 137

my kidneys are perfect (MicroAlbumin Less Than 0.6 / Urine Creatinine 137.0 / Protein 6.8

Triglycerides are 39 (which is good I think?),

HDL 42

I had a question tho, my Bilirubin is marked as Less Than 0.1. It's marked as "Low". What does this reading indicate?

Anyway- I'm still working on things, but it's good to see that my body is functioning properly again. Now just to focus on that A1c! Been plateauing at 8.5 % But my past 30 days average has been about 150, so hopefully my A1c is coming down now that I have more tools to judge it by. (Thank you Dexcom!)

Thank you guys. I really couldn't have done this without you all. You guys are wonderful friends and great motivators.

good news.

according to wiki:
Bilirubin (formerly referred to as hematoidin) is the yellow breakdown product of normal heme catabolism. Heme is found in hemoglobin, a principal component of red blood cells. Bilirubin is excreted in bile, and its levels are elevated in certain diseases. It is responsible for the yellow color of bruises and the yellow discoloration in jaundice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilirubin#Blood_levels

and webmd:
http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/bilirubin-15434
they don’t talk about low levels at all

so Low is good? Means I dont have any infections? And that my kidneys are working really well?

So happy for you! You go, girl.

Trigylcerides are excellent!

Thanks Gerri! Do you know what triglygcerides mean? I know it’s a form of fat, but I don’t know what the range means. That I’m eating well? That my body is breaking down fats well? haha. I’m so clueless sometimes about this stuff, but I’d really like to better understand. Endo appt next Monday

The lower the triglycerides the better, so yours are awesome. Diabetics often have elevated triglycerides because we’re so lucky. Yes, your body is doing great with metabolizing food in a healthy way.

Here’s a good explanation & better than I could do:) High triglycerides are linked to high carb diets.

Triglycerides are the chemical form in which most fat exists in food as well as in the body. They’re also present in blood plasma and, in association with cholesterol, form the plasma lipids.

Triglycerides in plasma are derived from fats eaten in foods or made in the body from other energy sources like carbohydrates. Calories ingested in a meal and not used immediately by tissues are converted to triglycerides and transported to fat cells to be stored. Hormones regulate the release of triglycerides from fat tissue so they meet the body’s needs for energy between meals.

Bili has to do with your liver. Low means all is in order -that your liver is excreting bilirubin appropriately.

wow Gerri. Thank you! Great information. And makes me feel really really good about my dietary changes that I recommended to myself, AGAINST doctor’s orders. hahahaha. Stick it to the man!!! Aw, I’m so relieved!

yay! Thanks Jennifer. More great news! So as far as I’m concerned, I’m in great condition. Just gotta figure out thsi BG thing and then we’re in business for a very much extended lifespan!

Happiness all around. :slight_smile:

Great feeling proving docs wrong! I eat against doctor’s orders also. Ask me if I care:)