GP says this is fine. Is it?

Ah it’s ok - I have found it.

This is what I think represents slightly elevated sugars.
Yesterday she pretty much spent all day at 108.

Fasting was 88

She didn’t want much breakfast, just had a cup of milk and half a banana.

Then about 11am was hungry so had 1 and a half weetabix. An hour after this she was 108 but it was nap time so she had her 8oz bottle at normal at 12pm.
By 1.30 she was 94.
At 2.30 she had a banana and a mini muffin and two hours after this she was 98. She had dinner at around 5pm and by 7pm was at 90.
She had her bedtime milk about 8pm - I don’t know what happened then as I figured Id tested her enough. But she pretty much spent the entire day in the mid / high 90s or low 100s. She didn’t even eat much. Some of my friend’s children eat much more.

This morning fasting blood was 83 but that doesn’t mean much I know.

I know they always say 7.8 two hours PP but is that after eating a full meal? A snack? How much? And if you are already higher to begin with and then eat again - like my daughter - what happens then? Her levels didn’t get higher I guess. They just didn’t come down either.
I’ve always wondered that. If you keep eating before the end of two hours has passed will your sugars just not come down until you stop eating or will the insulin kick in and lower you anyway?

These sugars are great! They’re not elevated at all.

1 Like

Even for a toddler?

I need to stop reading dr Bernstein who says that everyone should be 83 basically all the time!

I really really hope they are normal. It was just that she didn’t seem to come down at all but then I guess she was eating more frequently than every two hours as well…

I don’t see why they wouldn’t be normal for a toddler. I don’t believe there’s any scientific evidence to show that non-diabetic people (including toddlers) spend all their day at or below 83.

[EDIT]
So this is how Bernstein determined that number of 83 mg/dl:

He tested a non-representative sample of glucose meter salesman and looked for the minimum point for mortality and heart disease in epidemiologic studies.
Please take this number with a grain of salt!

2 Likes

Yes dr Bernstein stresses me out!

Then ignore his opinion on target glucose values. Stress won’t do you any good.

3 Likes

I have a question that I think you need to answer to yourself, why are you testing your child five times a day? Why do you believe that her having diabetes is going to somehow be what you went through? Things have changed, it is not what it was when you were young. I’m employed work long hours do physical and mental activities and am MDI the ONLY difference now to pre-diagnosis is that I test my sugars a couple times a day and my diet was better and sometimes I take a shot or have some sugar… life pretty much goes on just fine… I’m pretty sure some parents have already chimed in, but I know most schools are set up to handle this as well…

Please as others have said, look to yourself here and express it here as a fear but please, please stop testing your daughter so often unless she has obvious signs and symptoms like thirst, urine, and fatigue…why not open a new topic on how to get over the stress of having a diabetic having a child and see what other type 1 have done? You may find it helpful.

7 Likes

It may have moved on but if you look at parents who have diabetic children they still struggle hugely with it.
Holding down a toddler for cannula changes and injections. Waking them in the night and making them eat. Telling them they can’t eat because their blood sugar is too high. Not being able to do things when you want to because of blood sugars. Being a slave to the numbers. It is not the life I - or anyone else - wants for their child.
It IS that bad. There is no let up from it. It will ruin her life when she’s older and destroy what’s left of mine whilst she is little.

I have seen a gradual worsening of blood sugars over the last few days. She is now not coming down after two hours. I cannot stop it but I can make sure she won’t be unwell on diagnosis and I need to get some sort of plan in place so we are as ready as we can be for it.

There is no worsening. Your child’s sugars are fine.

I have a toddler with diabetes. He is generally a happy kid. WE DO NOT STRUGGLE. The diabetes stuff is more work for the parents but in the grand scheme of things it is not really a big deal. If he is low at night, you don;t have to force him to eat - he is pretty hungry as it is.

I have had Type 1 for 30 years. Diabetes is a bit of a pain sometimes, but I would not say it is life destroying. For you - is the diabetes life destroying or is it the anxiety that is life destroying?

Remember you can’t change the hand you are dealt, but, you choose how to play it. I suggest that you work with a counselor to find some strategies to deal with the negative thoughts you are having.

Your way of thinking reminds me of some people I know who suffer from anxiety disorders. Those people went for both professional counselling / CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) / medication / and it helped them deal with the negative intrusive thoughts.

Another point - my wife (who does not have diabetes) is always above 90 when fasting and her blood sugars jump up to 120 after a meal. What you are seeing with your daughter fits in the spectrum called “normal”.

9 Likes

How old is your child? Children until around 6 years of age have very little glucose stores therefore blood glucose may be increased so she has available glucose for her brain and body to function and not deplete glucose stores which are needed to handle stress or illnesses. Your daughters blood sugars are with in range and your doctor is correct.

I think this board is starting to do you (and your daughter!) a disservice by continuing to reinforce your testing her so often by giving you any more feedback on it, even though the feedback keeps not changing. You do not seem able to accept what people are saying to you, and you are persisting despite numerous people pointing out that the only aberrant thing here is your own behavior. Your repeated testing and posting is starting to look a lot like some sort of anxious compulsive behavior on your part and beyond just concerned parenting. I don’t think anyone is actually helping by discussing the blood sugars you post–at this point, they are just inadvertently reinforcing your doing this–given your repeated lack of acceptance of the wide consensus that your daughter is fine and does not need the intense monitoring you are unnecessarily putting her through.

12 Likes

Why don’t you try giving her more protein foods, and less high carbs foods… Like meat, eggs, cheese, vegetables.

Banana and mini-muffin are a very high carb meal.

I still think her numbers are not a problem at this point, particularly considering how high carb she is eating.

A lot of handling this disease is about perspective and attitude. I grew up watching my dad live with it. He never complained, took his shots when he needed to, never refrained from doing anything he wanted to, but always was prepared and maybe organized things a little differently because of his disease. Now I have it and I have the same perspective. It is not life or soul crushing. I can’t think of one thing I wanted to do that it has stopped me from doing. I have travelled alone to exotic places, lived alone away at university, drank, run half marathons, represent people in court on a daily basis (and many of them have struggles far worse than my own, which puts things in perspective fast), and have a wonderful girlfriend I plan to start a family with. Yes, sometimes I have to plan ahead for things, bring extra things with me, wait to eat because my blood sugar is too high or eat when I don’t want to because it’s too low. So what. Everything in life is hard, this is just another thing. 100 years ago we would’ve been dead, so I’m thankful that we can live fairly normal lives by testing, injecting, and doing it again. Lots of people have unimaginable struggles. This is a minor struggle I am lucky to deal with because people smarter than me figured out how to keep me alive. If you raise your daughter with a good attitude about it, that it is just another thing some of us have to do, I promise it will be fine. I can’t see how testing her all day when she isn’t sick, freaking out about numbers above 100 and reinforcing that it is something worse than death will do her any good however.

6 Likes

It really is time for some tough love, you are driving yourself nuts over this. As numerous people have said, there is nothing wrong with your kid, leave it alone and stop testing. You may need some professional help to overcome this obsessive behaviour.

2 Likes

I too watched my dad grow up with it and he has never complained - even when it prevented him from pursuing a career he wanted.
I have never complained about my diabetes to my children either. I just get on with it because there is no other option.

I feel that in toddlers it is a very difficult thing to manage. Given that over half will have a severe hypo requiring hospital treatment within twelve months of diagnosis and that children diagnosed before the age of 4 with diabetes more commonly struggle in school because of what is effectively brain damage from low blood sugars I think it is a pretty big deal.

Of course some people have worse struggles - however I have to say it makes me feel no better about having diabetes and nor would it make me feel better if either or both of my children got a diagnosis.

There is nothing wrong with your kid, seek personal help for yourself.

Indeed it is, and thankfully that is not something you currently have to manage.

Perhaps. I have not heard this, nor do I have this experience or know of a child diagnosed so young who does. I only know a limited population, of course, but I do know of several children and not one has this issue. My son was diagnosed at age 3, has certainly had some lows, but nothing that has impaired his ability. He graduated from 8th grade last year with the highest GPA in his school and excels in areas outside of academics.

There are too many examples of people, including children, and even toddlers who are leading enriching, fulfilling and wonderful lives for you to ignore. I urge you to look around, focus on the blessings you have, manage the challenges you currently endure, but please, stop wasting energy on challenges that have yet to and may never come.

5 Likes

I have not heard of this either.

My kid was diagnosed at age 11. At age 12, he just skipped a grade, takes 3 different sports, plays two instruments, and is taking an online class in one of the most academically oriented online schools in the US.