Grass is greener

I have been Type 1 for 41 years and pumping for 5. I swore I would never go back to shots, but after my beach vacation last week, I am feeling the need for a pump break as all I wanted to do was jump into the Gulf without disconnecting/unharnessing (is that a word?) my pump. I wanted to jump in and cool off without worries. I also feel that I am experiencing more lows on the pump.

So my question is, has anyone taken a pump break, or completely gone back to shots, or am I just having a grass is greener on the other side moment??

I’ve been on the pump for about 2 years now and am wondering the same thing you are. It gets really hard sometimes to handle the pump because i’m in colorguard and twirl the flag, baton, and rifle. It’s almost always getting in the way! Plus it’s hard to have the pump and wear certain clothes. I can’t wear dresses and my colorguard uniform makes it challenging! The pump gives me better control but it also makes me miss the simplicity of shots!

Sorry i can’t be more help!

Ahhh yes the clothes issue is huge for me as well!!!, but I sometimes feel these lows are from all the fast acting insulin flooding into me all the time. Am I totally off base with that statement?? Anyone know?? My A1C’s were similar with shots and pump. Also I am wondering if my weight gain is due to pumping as well??

I know that more insulin causes weight gain so that might be it but as for the lows it probably is because of the pump. My doctor reduced my insulin so much when I first started because she said since the insulin starts working after 15 mins it can cause me to go lower and higher quicker. I notice that i do go lower quicker and more severly with the pump then I did with shots.

Are your lows just general or do they occur after exercise? (I sound like my doctor! lol) I had a bunch of lows after certain activities so I had to do a temporary basal to reduce my insulin so I could prevent the lows.

Yes. I went “untethered” for my beach vacation and will do so for future similar vacations. I switched over to MDI with Lantus and Humalog, then went back on the pump when I got home. There is a website about how to do the switch safely at http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/clinic/untethered.htm

I was really, really happy to go back on the pump - much bettger control, much more convenient, however, it’s really nice to have the option of going untethered when I’m going to live in bathing suits and be spending my days in the water.

Karen, I started pumping in 2001 and pumped for 2 years. Several factors caused me to “take a break”. Swimming or just being able to float around in the pool without worrying about getting my pump wet, clothing was a HUGE issue and just feeling tethered to something 24/7. i loved the newfound freedom and the weight loss too. ( i found it way too easy to let my bs run higher to lose weight when i was on shots). One day i just decided that, for me, the pump benefits outweigh the cons. I have better control and I feel healthier with it. I have four kids and I want to be around and be healthy for them. On a side note, my sister is juvenile onset T1, diagnosed at 10 and is now 52. She has never had good control, never had a desire to go on the pump and has had a ton of complications because of these things. That has also been a good motivation for me to have good control.
Sorry for the ramble!

I am thinking the grass is greener thing is right on…It might be nice when swimming or the like, but all the same reasons you went on the pump originally will still exist…
Keep Going…Peace, Bob

Hello! I would have to say grass is greener on the pumping side. I am liking my a1c 5.6 in just a few weeks. YEAH!!! You have to be careful with carbs and disconnecting for showers and such. But I aM GOING TO A WEDDING IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS. I consider going back to mdis so i could were a dress instead of a skirt. But you know what MDIS for third wedding with 4 kids from different girlfriends plus one from different guy. Not !!! PUMPING LIFE is much better. And will be till that CELEBRATION comes the CURE!!! . diabeticidol94

I have actually quit wearing my pump for the summer. I have been without it for about 2 weeks now.

I have been thinking about this for a while, but the deal breaker was onmemorial day when I was thrown in a pool, pump and all. I figured it would be easier to go without it for the summer months.

I live in Louisiana where the temp in the summer time is usually around mid to high 90’s and we also have a couple of weeks where it will hover in the 100’s. Last summer I actualy had insulin get so hot in my pump it went bad and I went into DKA and spent the rest of the summer inside. (blah) Even the most simple thing as laying took time and consideration. I would have to cover the tubbing with towels and pump my pump in an ice chest. Then when I got hot I would have to disconnect and put the whole thing in the ice chest so I could jump in the water. Just a big hassel.

I will have to say there are some cons to not wearing the pump the most annoying one is my mother. She is acting like she did when I was first diagnosed… have you checked your sugar? what was it? did you give yourself enough insulin? do you really need to be eating that??.. and then there is the worst thing I hear from her… I spent how much on that thing and your not even going to wear it??? haha I think thats funny, but I asked her why she was freaking and she told me that she just feels more comfortable knowing that I have it on b/c she know that I am connected to it and that I will not be able to forget.

Also I can not put diabetes into the back of my mind like I did when I wore the pump. I actually have to think about how many carbs I eat calculate the amount of insulin for it and everything else.

On the pump I keep my bg in the low 100’s, but now it runs in the high 100’s low 200’s. I know that this is not great, but to have the freedom of just Jumping in I think it is worth it for the next 2 or 3 months.

I’ve taken “pump breaks” before. Just cause I was sick of it. I usually planned the break for about a month. Within a week, I was back on the pump and loving it in a new way :slight_smile:

Perhapy give yourself and break and see, but I think that the grass will look really green on the pumping side :slight_smile:

But I will spend my summer in an office, not on a beach :frowning:

I’ve been t1 also 41 years, pumping since 1991 and have never taken a shot since. I’ve been having site issues lately, and have thought about going off, but it sounds like control is worse. I sure wish I didn’t have to be constantly worrying about my infusion set: “did I put it in a good spot? do I need to change my set? when is it going to go bad on me, today at work, or tomorrow?”

Yes, I just recently ( the last two weeks) went pump free. I have been using a Minimed 512 for about 4 years and I just got really tired of being “tethered”. I had been thinking of disconnecting for a while but I was afraid of having all those lows again, but I think I have learned a lot about the life of insulin over the years and I now keep in mind the residual effect of previous insulin injections. I was very bad about not checking my BS and just bolusing when I felt like I had eaten too much junk between meals and needed some insulin and I just ate whenever I felt like it because I knew I could just dial it up. Consequently I gained weight over those four years and my A1c went from 6.2 right before I got the pump to 7.5 before I got off it 4 years later. I love not being connected and I sleep through the night without being woken up with the pump vibrating to alert me or getting tangled up in the dang thing. I now use a Lantus pen and a Novolog pen and so far I love it. I still have the pump and all the supplies and I will be very surprised if I don’t at some point decide to switch back, but for now I am happy. I have thought about using Lantus as a basal and the pump for boluses and taking it off at night or for swimming or whatever and not worrying about being off for too long, but for now I’ll stick to injections…

I abandoned mine years ago and have not looked back for a second…
Struggling with why I would ever want to use a pump again. Great, obscenely great PR as far as I can determine, but not a convert of the toy…

Stuart (munching a mouthful of grass ?dead grass?)

I like the freedom of the shots. I can control my blood sugars really well and if i don’t eat, i don’t have to shoot. I use the one shot of lantus in the am and then wait until I am hungry to eat and shoot for breakfast. If I am running in the morning then I make sure to get both shots and food as well, but don’t have to worry about attaching anything. I have had too many access ports and too many lines of tubing on me for too long to want to willingly add something else. But that is just me. I have a couple of friends who have pumps and just love them. But my evening shot of Lantus carries me really well for the night and I rarely wake up with a high or low.

Hi Karen,

Have you thought about trying the Omni Pod? It doesn’t have any tubing (it’s remote-controlled by the glucose meter), attaches directly to your body, and you only have one piece of equipment to carry - the “brainy” controller/glucose meter. It’s also watersafe for 30 minutes up to a depth of 8 ft. I encourage you to check it out on MyOmniPod.com, or call 800-592-3455 (I just happen to have the brochure right here).

I’m hoping to begin using the Omni Pod once Kaiser Permanente approves it for use. Just four days ago I finished “test-driving” one and was really impressed with its comfort and lack of interference in doing the daily stuff of life. (The test was only for the pump, not the controller).

I tried the Omni Pod because I wanted to see if the pump was truly light-weight and it was, particularly in comparison to a regular pump that I tried-out a couple years ago. I also wanted to see if the adhesive on the pump would irritate my skin, or come loose before it was time to change it (the whole unit gets replaced every few days). It stayed on very well and did nothing to my skin. I appreciated the small size and rounded edges, which made it very comfortable even when sleeping. The entire 3 days that I wore it I rarely knew it was there. (In stark contrast to the in-your-face pump and tubing that I previously tried.)

The only negative is, when wearing clothes that are form-fitting (and most of my clothes are), the shape of the pump really shows from underneath the garment. In all honesty, when I looked in the mirror it looked kinda odd seeing the lump, and someone else seeing it might wonder what on earth it could be. But, I loved the ease of use and total freedom from a tether (tubing). My desire to look perfect went out the back door a long time ago, and I want the best glucose control I can get with the least amount of hassle.

Hope this helps,
Teresa

Laughing

I think each has it’s place. No reason both can’t be in your arsenal.

Karen, Newbie here - I also would like suggestions about what to do on days of water activities, such as the cruise to Mexico we are taking next spring. I don’t know which is better to do - take my pump along for the ride and just disconnect at the beach/boat and risk something happening to the pump, or leaving the pump at home and go on Lantus and Novolog for the 5 days of the cruise. Any suggestions out there? I love being on the pump, so there’s a little “fear” of going back to MDI!

I have been pumping for 6 years and have always struggled with my pump on the beach. I am pretty sure my next vacation will be pumpless, but have not shot up in so long I am a little freaked.

I also enjoy the eating part of vacation so shots will be a little freaky for me again, but I sooo want to jump in the water without thinking. :slight_smile:

Karen, I have been on both MDI and pump, but not usually on and off. I switched to the pump and never looked back. As far as vacation, beach and extensive water environments, what I used to do was take the pump off just before entering the water area and would bring it along to bolus when needed due to high BG. I could not imagine the challenge women face at the beach. I would probably do the same as above and keep the inset site hidden somewhere under my suit. I am fortunate that I am able to put the pump in a pocket of my swimming suit and wear my Animas pump in the water since it is waterproof up to 12ft for 24hrs! When it comes to fear of the pump going down or getting damaged, check your pump manufacturer about a loaner vacation pump. I believe Minimed and Animas give these loaners out to patients (since I have been on both) for the period of time you are on vacation. Hope this helps, but I have found A1Cs and life better on the pump and am not looking for any greener grass…yet!