Greetings!

Not exactly sure yet how this thing works but here goes.

I am PaulaO and live in Leicester NC USA with my partner, 4 dogs, and 2 cats. I am a writer. I have a lot of health issues and am disabled. I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type. Because of that, I have osteoarthritis and chronic pain. Other stuff are sleep apnea, hypertension, hypothyroid, depression, asthma, and now pre-diabetes. Joy joy.

Diabetes runs in my family. Maternal grandmother, mother, and both siblings have/had diabetes. We’ve been watching my blood sugar for a while now and have been diagnosed as hypoglycemic. A year or so ago, one doc said I was “glucose intolerant” and now I know that meant pre-diabetes. But the A1C test wasn’t bad so she never mentioned it again. Most of the time, I don’t have any symptoms. But other times, I get so hungry, I can’t eat enough. I can eat a good meal and 2-3hrs later, be sweating, shaking, and not able to think straight. I eat peanut butter on a slice of bread and feel better for another 2hrs then I crash again. Then I have days where I am not hungry at all. I can go nearly all day before I remember to eat. Weird, ain’t I? :wink:

Then I went to the doc for a regular follow up and we did blood work. The fasting glucose came back as 135 and the doc freaked. They had enough blood to do the A1C but it would be a while before it came back. The doc was so sure I was diabetic, she gave me a prescription for somethingforim (?). But the test came back with 4.7. Other blood work came back wonky (triglycerides very high, good cholesterol low, bad cholesterol fine).

This was a wake up call for me. I’d hoped I had missed it, ya know? I got all the bad genes except for this, I thought. Nope. We’re (me and my partner who is the cook) are looking at foods, trying to figure out what I should eat vs what I want to eat vs what I will not eat. We got books and I’m researching on the 'net, etc etc etc. I see a nutritionist on Friday and hopefully will get more information and some questions answered.

That’s enough for now. Here’s some linkages to my sites:

http://paulaoffutt.com - main site, needs work but is my “professional” bits
http://paulaoffutt.com/blog/ - blog section. can get rather interesting, not always related to writing

Welcome, Paula! Wonderful people here to share with. Glad you found us.

Please go to an endo for diagnosis.

An A1c of 4.7 is perfect. A fasting of 135, not so good. With high fasting but a good A1c, you probably have episodes of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) because an A1c is an average over about 3 months. Your hunger, sweating, shaking are the symptoms of low blood sugar. Hope you mentioned this to your doctor in case any meds you take could be causing lows.

You should insist that your doctor test C-peptide (measures insulin production) & GAD antibody tests (measures if your pancreas is under autoimmune attack). An oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) is helpful also. Too many people are misdiagnosed as Type 2 based on age &/or physical appearance without running tests.

Metformin is a Type 2 drug to help with insulin resistance.

Jenny’s site & book are great: http://www.bloodsugar101.com. A wonderful book is Dr. Richard Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution. His book changed my life. Another good resource is Think Like a Pancreas.

Nutritionist & dieticians tend to push ADA dietary guidelines which are too high carb for many to control blood glucose.