Guilty Feeling Type2

Dear Gail.

Good for you stay away from that person and it is not true. This is a bit like Mike Huccabee telling Jon Stewart that gay marriage should not be allowed because it is … not approved by the Christian right. Jon Stewart replied that religion was a lifestyle choice but being Gay or not was not. Touché for Jon.

I think this was the original topic about Type 2 and guilt.

I had passing diabetes for a couple of months (due to cortisone use), but also have a strong family history of D. I’m fairly sure that I will end up diabetic later in life because of this.

When I was diagnosed, my doctors and dietician told me that I was T2 because I was overweight and that I really needed to lose it (despite me being pear-shaped, having a healthy BMI for most of my life, and being active to the point of doing 2 hour workouts daily the year before my sinus problems kicked in). My dietician told me I wasn’t disciplined and wouldn’t lose any weight because I didn’t want to live on salad and raw food (I’ve lost 20 kilograms so far, without salad and raw food). So yes, I was made to feel guilty for what was essentially a bad reaction to a medication and chronic sinus problems.

Dear Megan. In hindsight it is better to go to hell later than sooner. So fight as long as you can. And yes ■■■■ on them the ones that told you it is your fault. I told the dog you are a dog it is not your fault God made you that. However he has a great deal Dog in America is better than some humans in the world. Dog=God.

Thanks Anthony. My BMI is currently 23. I’m trying to be more active, and hopefully will be able to convince myself to head to the gym tonight. My dogs have a really good deal too, I love to spoil them. :smiley:

Hi, Tim,

Please don’t EVER let the ignorant and misinformed make you feel one iota of guilt. None of us asks for diabetes and if we didn’t have the gene for it we wouldn’t get it. The only exception I can think of are those who wind up with diabetes due to medications for other illnesses such as transplants or those requiring years of heavy steroid use. Would I call that a lifestyle choice? Never! They simply chose to live and accept diabetes as a side effect.

My Mother always taught me it is better to give than to receive. I find this especially true when it comes to guilt. your energy is so much better spent working towards good control of your BG’s. That’s what really matters the most, not what others might think.

Dear Megan. What miracle made you loose weight?

After reading all the supportive comments on this discussion, I’d just like to say that people with diabetes–whatever the type–strike me as generally more cool, wise, caring, thoughtful, and giving than your average person. Hooray for us! We rock!

Dear Kelly.

Now we will have to behave and live up to your wonderful description.

My doctor thinks it was the D (side effect of high blood sugars), my dietician thinks it was the low GI, low fat, lowish carb diet plan. Instead of the salad I microwaved broccoli and cauliflower - a lot. I think it was a combination of the D and the diet - I don’t like feeling bad, so I had no motivation to cheat on the diet.