Had it with Omnipod

I have been using the Omnipod system for 18 months or more now. I have seen some slight improvements over time but the truth is there is always the possibility that a pod may fail, or suffer from various issues while attached to you. I have had them overnight new pods and I am also on my third PDM that has failed since I first got it. Since I have nothing to compare it to I have chalked it up to use/abuse of the product. The current PDM I have has a rattling inside (probably from having suffered a fall). I also don’t like to speak negatively about the system too much because I absolutely love the wireless aspect. I also would like it better if there were software we could use to download the data from the PDM. I have heard from my diabetic educator that the software is not very good so I have yet to lunge into finding out how to get my hands on it. Anways, I thought I would place my $0.02 in as a pod user.

As a question to you all, I read about the “Ping” and it too seems promising. Would this be a more reliable/time-tested alternative? My only concern is the tube attached. From what I can tell on the web site, the software that comes with it might be what I have been looking for. How easy would it be to change to another system after having used one for so long? Any assistance is appreciated.

i’ve been a pod user for a few years now and have not had this problem. i will say with my last box i have experienced some skin issues which maybe they are using a new adhesive. as far as the costumer service is concerned i have been more than happy with it. in my case they have gone above and beyond. i fought for months with my insurance company to get coverage, went through appeals, letters from my doctor etc. i finally recieved it and then verified it with the insurance rep and my pod rep on a 3 way call. omnipod then sent me six boxes and were then denied by my insurance company for payment. they are not demanding payment from me. they are still fighting my insurance company. i have dropped that insurance company and now use the money to pay for my supplies. i wouldn’t give up my pod for anything. my life is better without tubing. my basal continues when i shower, when i am having sex and i will never again rip out tubing accidently.

please see my post below also. i had a minimed prior to an omnipod. i had two failures with the minimed pump and plenty of problems with the sets and sites over the years. the tubing affected what i wore and needed to be taped down for sports. also you loose the basal rate any time you need to disconnect. one more thing. i think it is probably human nature to not feel like changing the site and minimed users have been known to leave them on for up to 10 days. i was guilty of this alot and it leads to scarring. omnipod has an autoinjector which is great and each pod shuts itself off after 3 days. personally, my mom could only bother me about my diabetes about 23 hours a day. this feature would have been useful and less work for my mom.