Halloween Conundrum in Time of Coronavirus

What will you do about Halloween this year?
How can we hand out treats to the goblins safely without getting closer than 6 feet?
Is our wearing a mask good enough?
Will the kids also be wearing masks? What happens when they all stick their hands in the bowl of treats?

1 Like

It may be time to get creative. When I was young, my mom always made treat bags using miniatures for trick or treaters. That may be doable for people with a low volume of kids and laying them out on a tray for kids to pick. There are people far more creative than me that I’m hoping will have some good ideas. Halloween was “canceled” here years ago. I can’t remember if it was a snow storm or a power outage. I think the most popular alternative then was going to the mall to trick or treat at the stores. That doesn’t seem like a viable option now.

1 Like

@dogramma, One idea put out on our cul-de-sac was have every family contribute to a pot of zip-lock bags and pitch a bag to each goblin as they came to a central point for our cluster of residences. The central point would be socially distant from all participating.

Of course, it will be up to each jurisdiction to promulgate the rules of participation for their residents to abide by in this crazy time.

My personal opinion is 1) Mask up, 2) stay safe, 3) then have fun.

2 Likes

You could hang treat bags from a tree where they could reach up and grab/untie one.

Maybe you could spray paint some ziplock backs with candy in them different colors and hang them from strings tied to the trees.

2 Likes

Maybe you could buy a bunch of pumpkins and put them out in the yard, like a punkin patch and stick pieces of candy to the pumpkins somehow. This might force the kids to stay away from one another a bit better. Plus, when the candy was all gone, you could wipe down the pumpkin and adhere more.

Maybe hang candy from a large pine tree.

1 Like

I think we should do some awesome illness Halloween displays. I’m thinking fire throwing and four horseman of the Apocalypse (featuring the pale horse because thats the horse of illness) and plague doctor mask.

I found syringe pens on the internet. I’m going all in. Best Halloween ever.

1 Like

Check this out!

I am leaving candy on my porch with instructions to take 2 candy bars. Our pumpkin will have a mask on. We will have a sign to be safe and have fun. We may get 30 kids. Nancy50

3 Likes

There is already talk of cancelling Holloween in many parts of the West Coast. That said, there will still be people out in costumes with their kids going door to door. Personally I would not want my kid exposed to that this year - I would rather buy them a giant bag of candy and do Halloween “Easter Egg Hunt” style in my own yard to limit exposure.

3 Likes