Happy kwanzaa to the diabetic community!

Kwanzaa is from December 26 to Friday, January 1 and is normally celebrated by the African American community. The 7 principles of kwanzaa are universal for all people. I am sure we can incorporate each of the principles in our diabetic lives. I am so happy to share this with each of you...

Each day of the Kwanzaa celebration focuses on one of seven principles: Unity, Self-Determination, Collective Work and Responsibility, Cooperative Economics, Purpose, Creativity, and Faith. In keeping with those 7 Principles of Kwanzaa, here are some suggestions for Kwanzaa activities to the make each day of the celebration a meaningful one.

Principal 1: Unity - To strive for and maintain unity in the family, community, nation and race.

• We are a diabetic community with issues but we should remain united.....

Principal 2: Self-Determination
- To define ourselves, name ourselves, create for ourselves and speak for ourselves.
  • Inspire our lives with diabetes and possibly be inspire others.
Principal 3: Collective Work and Responsibility - To build and maintain our community together and make our brother's and sister's problems our problems and to solve them together.
  • WOW..........................This is powerful by itself.
Principle 4: Cooperative Economics - To build and maintain our own stores, shops and other businesses and to profit from them together.
  • learn to build business and social circles for the diabetic community.
Principal 5: Purpose - To make our collective vocation the building and developing of our community in order to restore our people to their traditional greatness.
  • try to find greatness within ourselves to continue to and inspire with diabetes
Principal 6: Creativity - To do always as much as we can, in the way we can, in order to leave our community more beautiful and beneficial than we inherited it.
  • Create diabetic artwork with family and friends
Principal 7: Faith - To believe with all our heart in our people, our parents, our teachers, our leaders and the righteousness and victory of our struggle.
  • hope that people will start to understand the mechanisms of diabetes. perhaps they will learn how to prolong or prevent it from happening.

Good principles, however, according to Wikipedia, the seven principles of Kwanzaa were also considered the "seven principles of blackness" by it's founder, Maulana Karenga. Wikipedia continues "During the early years of Kwanzaa, Karenga said that it was meant to be an alternative to Christmas, that Jesus was psychotic, and that Christianity was a white religion that black people should shun."

I am a white Christian, so I can't jump on board with your enthusiasm.

As informational as Wikipedia might be .....anybody can re write information and change it at anytime whether it is factual or not. Lots of schools do not accept Wikipedia as a credible source. I would ask that you use a more credible source such as http://www.holidays.net/kwanzaa/ which looks at all holy days and traditional days of all groups.

Understand this much, I didn't mean for this to be a radical, religion or racial discussion. Most people don't care for Farrakhan (I don't) but they respect the Million Man March that inspired several other marches with similar names (Million mom march, million woman march).

I did state the principles are universal to all ethnicities. I turned all the principles showing a positive .diabetic relation to them. Please look pass the obvious to the positive message.