Hardest part?

Everyone reacts differently, but I’ve done better on Levemir.

Do you have scar tissue from not rotating? My doctor scared me about this, so I’ve been careful to change sites, though there’s only so many to use!

sadly i can’t figure out my stomach, i can’t tell if they’re stretch marks or scar tissue or a combo of both. I have trouble finding a good spot on my stomach for my humalog. I heard it’s okay to shot up between the “marks.” I hate them so much, and sometimes they sting for a little while(just a light sting) No scar tissue on my thigh, i rotate from left or right every day. The best rotation schedule is to imagine your stomach is like a clock, or your whatever body part, and to shot up at each number. That way it helps heal, i think.

Not that there’s any reason behind it, but I got into the habit of using my stomach for basal & switching thighs & top of butt for bolus. Clock idea is good–thanks!

I take Levemir morning & right before bed. Days I have to take correction doses for highs keeps me guessing which thigh is next.

I get really annoyed if I have to eat when I don’t feel like it, especially if I am losing a few pounds. Hypos come at the most inappropriate times, I also overcompensate for them. Never had any bother the the meds. I am definetely lazy, but then I go through phases of pushing myself too hard.

Eating control is for me the hardest part…Exercising what I ate is the next. Being Type 2. I have to control my weight and engage in exercises everyday. Its hard to counts carbs when I enjoy cooking and baking. Oh well…

agreed! combining living your life and diabetes is the real challenge

the hardest part for me is routine…I don’t like routine for anything…and while the pump gives yu more felxibilty,I am brittle/labile/reactive enough that if I go much off scheudle even with the pump my BG’s show it…

Hi Domo, Actually after having diabetes for almost 45 years years I guess nothing is difficult to find time for. It is all just second nature for me. Of course, testing was the hardest thing for me when I was first diagnosed. I hated testing my urine and never understanding why I was high when i felt so bad. Now the finger sticks are just that. nothing to worry about. I decided if i had to have this sisease i might as well figure out a great way to deal with it. So I just accepted the ups and downs and found this disease to be interesting and somewhat challenging.
I hope this helps you. Karen Type 1 since 1964

I think the hardest part is counting carbs and figuring out how much insulin is needed. But after years of doing the same thing over and over you get used to it and forget what life is like without having to manage your diabetes.

Eating is VERY hard, but I would have had to work at that anyway to lose weight and stay healthy. I’m only as good as I am with my eating now because I didn’t do it for the diabetes, I did it for my figure! The shots and testing never bothered me. Sometimes it’s annoying to have to stop and do them but I was always kind of fascinated by the science aspect of it.

For me, it’s the rigidity. The sheer amount of time and energy I have to devote to diabetes, all the planning ahead and the limitations. Where other people can just cut back some calories and lose a little weight, I have to make sure all my meals fit not only my weight loss nutrition needs but my diabetes nutrition needs. Where other people can just sit down and eat if they’re hungry, I have to solve equations first while my food is getting cold! Other people can hit the gym whenever, I have certain times I have to avoid working out, and I can’t decide in the middle of my workout that I’m having fun and I’ll go for longer today. I’m not a super-spontaneous person anyway but just knowing that I CAN’T do things on the fly makes me resent it.

And the thing is, diabetes care is so much more flexible now than it was when I was diagnosed 13+ years ago! Maybe that’s where part of my resentment comes from. It was really hard to go from being a carefree kid to having all these restrictions (back in the NPH + Regular, “diabetes exchange” meal plan days) and everybody looking at you kind of funny because they didn’t know how to “handle” you. Maybe if I was newly diagnosed now I wouldn’t have quite such a sore spot about this.

I’m a perfectionist, and I want things to happen as I predicted. For me, the hardest part is that, if I follow all the rules, give myself the sanctioned amount of insulin, exercise, etc., my blood still (often) aren’t in range. Or one day I’ll eat something and give myself some insulin; if I do the exact same thing the next day, I’ll often end up high (or low), and it just frustrates me enormously. I want this to be predictable, and I want my blood sugars to be perfect. But, no matter what I do, my blood sugars aren’t perfect and probably never will be, and that’s REALLY hard for me to accept.