Has TuDiabetes Changed Your Life?

Simple question, but I suspect there will be as many answers as there are responders. Are your numbers better? Are your relationships different? Your mental equilibrium? How would you be different if this community wasn't here? In short -- has it made a difference, and if so, how?

Hi David. Well, yes, TuDiabetes has changed my life. I really don't know how I would have handled my diabetes had I not found TuDiabetes. I know I didn't realize how much I would benefit from access to it at the time. I went to the library after diagnosis and found very little that was relevant. Maybe I would have just given up and had hypo after hypo, really destroying my life... then I found the DOC and--drumroll--Tudiabetes. I was lucky enough to find a CDE that was enormously helpful as well. Still I do know that when I found TuDiabetes it changed everything. I got an exchange of knowledge, information I needed, friends... It's hard to put it into words, but TuDiabetes did change my life, the life I was given with my autoimmune genes, for the better.

TuDiabetes has been a wonderful influence for me. Talking with my Mom is good and all, but it also good to branch out and talk with others who are going through the same issues that are my age. My Mom has had diabetes for so long (over 30 years) that she forgets I'm still going through the seven stages of grief and acceptance.

It's been more difficult for me to accept my diabetes diagnosis than my RA diagnosis, go figure. I think because even as a child, deep down I knew I had RA or some type of RA problem and just needed the tests to prove it. Whereas with diabetes I always was in denial that I would be diagnosed even though most of my family is diabetic. Wishful thinking on my part.

TuDiabetes has grounded me mentally and helped with so many uncommon questions. The veterans have been so open, helpful, and gracious (and patient). My numbers are stable, but the site has mostly helped me mentally, emotionally, as well as how to communicate with my doctor.

tuD has definitely had a positive impact on my d care and sanity. my numbers were pretty good from the beginning BECAUSE of the info i found on tuD and links from it.

i think my a1c would be a lot higher, i would feel worse physically and i would be listeneng to doctors and nurses without question because id be too afraid not to. thanks to tuD, i question everything that they say and suggest because i know that most of them dont know enough about t1, diet, living day to day with this rubbish disease. the people on tuD have taught me how to be self reliant in my new normal. thank you tuD peeps.

So far joining this website has helped me emotionally more than anything. I’m a gradual onset LADA still trying to figure out how I should best treat my high post prandial BG and navigate the diabetes healthcare system. Hearing the stories of people who fit even better into a diabetes diagnosis box, yet still struggle with getting good treatment, keeps me from getting too discouraged. And learning from members that there is SO much variation in doctor philosophy, symptoms, and control has helped me have more patience with this frustrating health problem.

I was very proactive from the get go, when I was admitted in DKA, with close to a 500 BG at the age of 60. The DOC and tuD led me to all the info I needed to get a correct diagnosis-(LADA/treated as T1). Was online even while in hospital, and had a good idea that what the hospitalist was saying - T2- was a crock - T2s don't drop 300 points in 2 hours with 10U of NP!

I learned to use the information available here to led my PCP to order ALL the testing needed get a correct DX. Because of what I found here I was off T2 meds, and on basal bolus with I:C, C.F. within two months of original presentation. I'm sure that this has made a huge difference in how much residual pancreatic function I have been able to maintain.

Getting on a DexG4 was an eye opener, getting a T slim pump vs MDI has helped as well.
Finding the Flatliners group as well as TAGers United group has given me a whole new perspective on what I might be able to achieve. Would not have thought that I could achive A1Cs in the mid 5 range with out lows - my endo certainly has been impressed. Part of that is more than likely due to preserved alpha cell function with early aggressive therapy, but a lot of it is due to what I have learned here and how I use it to micromanage my meals/bolus dosing/ basal rates/exercise etc.

Definitely need to give credit to the DOC for my success.

David:

Yes my life is better. Heck I met Kathy and Marie, of course my life is better. But aside from the obvious such as many folks like yourself, it has given me a chance to express myself thru blogging. Who knew I might like to Blog? Who knew I would meet diabetics worldwide, who knew I even wanted too? Better? Yes I am a better person, in a better place and part of a great caring community. The question I now ask each day, is this place better because of me? When you ask that question then yes you are better for being here. It took a long time for me to to ask that question about diabetes in general and this place in particular, but for me it has come full service. When I became diabetic I decided my life would be about service. Now I think my life is about service to diabetics and diabetes. I choose to serve here so yes my life is different because of the community I so enjoy.

rick

It’s a good test of any medical practitioner’s people skills when you question what they think they know. The smart ones adjust and give your credit for your knowledge and don’t feel threatened in their sphere of knowledge. The big egos don’t get along well with me. It’s all part of taking ownership of diabetes.

When some doctors roll their eyes at the mere mention of the internet and social media, they can’t comprehend a story like yours. I think that if I had good access to the right information, I would have been able to extend my T1D honeymoon for a lot longer. I didn’t hit the information sweet spot until year 28. Better late than never!

I participated in TuD for three years before I received a complication diagnosis that pushed me over the full commitment cliff. I followed all the low carb eating posts and controversy but didn’t act on that info until the complication diagnosis reared its ugly head.

I knew plenty about pump and CGM basics but what really improved my life was changing to low carb eating and using total available glucose or TAG to dose for all macronutrients. The Flatliners Club and TAGgers United gave me BG control I never thought possible. The fact that someone with T1D could go through life with low variability BGs meant that I could probably do that too.

TuD put great BG control on the menu. This is where I philosophically depart from the majority here. I frequent TuD not because my diabetes may vary but because of what I have in common with so many here. I don’t dismiss or deny the individual difference we each may have from the group. What holds my interest is someone with T1D that is managing better than me. The commonality and the resonance it makes possible far outshines mere variability along the diabetes spectrum. I think we’re more alike than different.

Don’t get me wrong. Of course we have individual differences. I am a male T1D and can’t begin to understand the female hormone cycle as it relates to T1D. But it’s where your road overlaps mine is what truly makes the DOC useful to me.

TuD is directly responsible for the mitigation of my complication symptoms. If I had not known about low carb eating and TAGging, my quality of life would be much diminished today.

I work as a contractor for the marketing group of a large diabetes pharma company. As such I have access to huge amounts of medical information. Without the context and texture provided by the TuD community I would not have had a clue how to put that in perspective.

I am now a well-controlled T1 and a huge portion of the credit belongs to TuD.