Have you gotten a flu shot yet? Why or why not?

Its people who buy the vaccinations cause autism that caused my mother to get pertussis and caused damage to her lungs. She caught it from a unvaccinated preschooler. Fortunately she was vaccinated when she was younger or she would have died. Only regret is I wish she sued the childs parents and the school for this transgression since your child would have been typhoid mary and directly have given it to her

I’ve never gotten a flu shot. But I’ve also never had the flu. I’m told if I ever get the flu, I will change my mind about the vaccination and start getting it.

nope. it can kill me with my anaphylactic reaction to eggs. don’t say it’s safe, read the insert and it says that people with slight to moderate are able to get it, but severe egg allergy is still a contraindication.

My GP convinced me that getting a flu shot was in my best interest. It was my first ever. In addition I received a pneumonia vaccine as well – since member of my family are prone to pneumonia I decided I’d get that vaccine as well.

I am all for vaccines except for the flu. I have not nor I have ever gotten a flu shot for several reasons. One there is WAY too much controversy linking it to other diseases. True or not, I dont like the connection. I know of people either getting sick because of the shot and also of those who still get the flu. If there are several strains of the flu that exist and the shot is only “preventing” which ever strain the doctors voted on treating that year then what is the point. I feel I am better off with just washing my hands often, keeping hand sanitizer and take a lot of vitamin C.

@SuFu – no responsible medical professional would tell a person with severe egg allergies to get the flu shot. I am as pro-vaccine as they come but I fully support your decision. You’re one of the ones who is depending on “herd immunity” to stay safe, which is why I always advocate that people who can get the shot do so. It’s not just about self. It’s also about others.

2010 was the first year in many that I did not get the vaccine - I kept putting it off and thinking that one doctor or the other would get around to it. What do I get within the first part of 2011? The flu. Kept me out of work for about a week and ran my blood sugar all over the place. I’ll be getting the flu shot from now on I do believe.

still on the fence about the flu shot. would really love to know, of those CDC stats, how many of those people WERE vaccinated??

SuFu… your the reason people who CAN get the flu shot should, because you can’t… As JeanV noted… herd immunity does work, as long as those who can do get it, it protects you from them, since they are less likely to get the flu and give it to you… Its the protecting from others that always irritates me when discussing vaccinations… There are ones that do have questionable merit, and aren’t for everyone, but the major vaccinations should be done, and done on time. If its a preservative issue, there are versions of most vaccines that have a short shelf life, but can be obtained esp if you can get a group of people who are interested in the preservative-free variant. Allergies are another issue entirely, but it also should be considered to segregate people who DONT have vaccinations when something goes awry…

I got one because my mom

I get my flu shot since I work with immunocompromised patients.

i got mine because i live in a dorm so diseases are spread much more easily.

3 years ago Manuel and I didn’t get it, we just forgot, honestly… It was regretful since the 3 of us got ill for almost 2 week. I felt terribly bad and guilty for Santiago. Never again. We usually get colds during the winter, but nothing really bad or serious… but that year we were miserable.

K I know I’m not 18 but I’ve got to comment on this.
I don’t get flu shots. They only make me sick! Every time, a few days after I get the shot, I get a minor flu. It sucks. And if my flu is bad enough, then I end up in the hospital because (as most of you will know) because I’m puking and can’t hold water down, so my ketones and sugar goes up and oh God it’s just horrible.