Having second thoughts about the Omnipod... any suggestions

Hose and brick:-) That is what it looks like! Thanks for reassuring me that I made the right choice to begin with.

I did investigate and did go to demos run by the other pump companies. In each case, they spent a good deal of time ‘bashing’ the Omnipod. When I asked when they would have a tubeless option they had no answer. IMO I believe they bad-mouthing the Omnipod becasue they can’t compete with the no tubing option available.

Used a 508 and then a minimed paradigm (combined time almost 5 years) before switching to the Omnipod in December 08. I will NEVER be going back to tubed pumping. I love the pod to death. Others (like Robin) have commented that there are occasionally bad pods or bad experiences (either it comes off to early or you catch it on a door or shirt sleeve, etc). I think the biggest item is awareness. If you (and more importantly, your daughter) will work on being aware of where it is, you will miss catching it on things, ripping it off, etc.
It sounds like the nurses teaching that ‘unbiased’ class are probably more familiar with the minimed series and they may have their preference for the reports that it can print out. Every pump has limitations, but I think the limitations are much LESS with the omnipod. I also enjoy the added benefits, like the integrated freestyle meter. For me it’s been no contest as to the winner.
Also, I actually have MUCH more flexibility about where I want to place the pod on my body than I did with tubed pumps. I had 4 spots on the minimed. Both sides of the top of my butt, and both sides of my stomach. Now I have those plus the back and sides of my arm, plus my love handle region :-), and then several spots on my lower back. I have tried the thigh and have not had great success, but I know others have posted on here that it’s great.
Good luck to you and your daughter as you move forward with the pod (It was absolutely the right choice for me and hopefully it will be for you too!)!!!

Olivia,
You really should call or write to the management of the place that provided the training and tell them how it made you feel and how disingenuous and misleading it was. It’s likely that they don’t know what is really going on in the classes and how biased things are.

Literally just switched from the MM522 to the pod last week. I have one major complaint, but it’s all about how Omnipod does active insulin/IOB vs. how Minimed does it (Minimed’s method is vastly more informative in my opinion). That’s it. Oh, and I don’t think I can get the pod under my skinny jeans whereas I could get a QuickSet under them. But who cares if the QuickSets they send you are defective or the wrong ones. I really can’t speak to how well the pod will work for young active children, but I can speak to how poorly Minimed has acted during this whole Lot8 recall issue. This recall is literally the straw that broke the camel’s back for me. I’ll advise against Minimed for now simply b/c of the infusion set issue - I think every set is now on “limited inventory” which means you won’t get your full supply every 3 months. You’ll get one box every 3 weeks. Not cool.

I love it as an adult. They will come off if you knock them hard enough, but consider the tethered alternative. I havn’t had any come off, started on pod in 06-09. Hospital reps talk about medtronic product in part becase that’s what they know (heard medtronic have a 80% pump market share) and its a good option. I am fairly thin and the lack of fat can cause occulsion if the plastic cannula post insertion sits against muscle, but you’ll learn those spots with experience.

Good thing about the pod is the low up front investment (~$500 for the PDM, pump units are disposable). You may want to start with the pod and then switch to medtronic if it doesn’t work for you.

Here is my take on your concerns:
Great question btw. Nothing is made for everybody…period!
Let’s face it, all of the insulin pumps do pretty much the same thing. Deliver insulin to you in a continuous (basal) stream.
They calculate your boluses based on b/g. They maintain a certain time frame of history. They produce valuable information for you and your Endo/CDE to review to make proper adjustments in your D-management. All in all they make life a little easier as long as you take the responsibility to test your b/g and follow the manufacturers recommendations.
Certainly, many of us have tried one or another and not been happy for a wide variety of reasons. The same reason we might chose a Toyota over a Honda…personal comfort and understanding of the device.
Many CDE’s have had 20 plus years of dealing with Medtronic and have a certain level of understanding and comfort. Same for Animas, Deltec and the former Disetronic now Accu-Chek Spirit (not as long as MM but certainly longer than the Omnipod). However, these folks will not be wearing the device or depending on it for life and death…only you will. This is your choice and make the right one for you. The local reps, the toll free customer service and the self education that you do will help bring you to your comfort level.

Is moving from MDI to an Omnipod easy? No! It takes education, time and transition to make it work for you. There are many resources and supports to assist with this transition.

As for your concerns with the pods themselves, check out their website and call the 800 number. As I looked today there are profiles on the Omnipod website of a dolphin trainer, an Iron man athlete and a Team type 1 cyclist, along with many other everyday folks. My guess is that these athletes work out pretty rigorously and would never jeopardize their life in any manner.

As I have learned over my 40 years with diabetes always question the professional who is questioning your decisions. Unless they are at the top of their game 24/7 (like they expect you to be) on all aspects of diabetes management, they also are a management tool, a team member or a partner in your diabetes…YOU are the captain!

This was a great question posed here and you have received many pieces of valuable information…now it is up to you.
Do right for yourself, all the rest will fall in line along the way.
My two pennies…

Knox’s dad
(Erica’s as well)

Like everyone has said, it is YOUR choice. I didn’t do as much research as I probably should have. I almost chose the Medtronic because they are the market leaders and have integrated CGM. I ended up ruling the Medtronic out because I had trouble reading the black on charcoal grey screen. I then almost chose Animas because I could read the screen so easily. I liked the OmniPod because of no tubing, but I had trouble reading the screen on the previous model PDM. The Insulet rep met my CDE and me and showed me the current model PDM which has a screen I can read easily. With Animas and OmniPod both having screens I could read, I decided on OmniPod because I am very clumsy, and had visions of catching tubing on stuff and ripping out the infusion sets

I had a very positive experience with my CDE. She was extremely knowledgeable and totally unbiased. She is diabetic and on a pump. I would not have known which one, except she showed me hers because the batteries died in the sample one whe was using in the demonstration.

I have been on the pod for about two weeks. I haven’t ripped or knocked off any pods yet despite how clumsy I am. I don’t have the timing right during the day to change pods after a shower, and find they stick to me extremely well. I shaved my abdomen to see if that makes it easier to remove them. If not, I will have to look into the products that desolve the adhesive.

I wish you the best in finding the pump that works best for you.

Brad

Although I am a bit late to this thread, I think it’s worth repeating that you should draw primarily from the experiences of people who actually live with insulin pumps rather than nurses and doctors who do not. I think most medical professionals have a much higher comfort level with the Medtronic pump because it has been available the longest, and because Medtronic has the most money for advertising and promotion. There is a learning curve for each pump, and regrettably, I think most in the medical profession succumb to inertia and default to Medtronic and perpetuate the misimpression that Medtronic offers the insulin pump of choice.

I made the change from a Medtronic pump (after 20 years of successful MiniMed pumping) to the OmniPod earlier this year. Although the Medtronic pump certainly served me well, I think tubeless pumping is the biggest innovation in pump therapy that I have seen in 20 years. I never cried about the tubing, but now that it’s gone, I never want to see it again. Further, the OmniPod offers so many other great features over the Medtronic pump beyond tubeless pumping, including the integrated glucometer, automated cannula insertion, and very user-friendly interface.

Just my personal opinion, but there is no sane reason [other than more favorable insurance coverage] to go with a Medtronic pump, even if the OmniPod ultimately doesn’t work out for your daughter given that there are options like the Animas (very user friendly, tighter integration with a glucometer, waterproof) that also offer so much more than the Medtronic pump. I particularly fault the Medtronic pump for having a woefully outdated interface that has received very little in the way of updating for almost 10 years.

The ONLY thing that Medtronic currently offers over the other insulin pump companies is an integrated CGM. I have tried Medtronic’s CGM (admittedly, an earlier version), and I think it stinks. The transmitter is large and awkward, and it does not work terribly well. I now use a Dexcom CGM, and it works much, much better (smaller transmitter, 7-day sensor life, more accurate results, less interference issues). Plus, OmniPod and Dexcom should be integrated into a single PDM unit within the next 12 months.

Good luck with your decision-making. Just keep in mind that every pump has a learning curve and idiosyncrasies. I also commend you on being so involved with your daughter’s diabetes care – great parents like you make all the difference in charting a path for a healthy life for their Type 1 kids. Take a bow.

So well said, Jaybear. I share your sentiments EXACTLY.

HI -

Wow, I hear this a lot. Our son was 2 years old when he went on the pod. I always have to laugh when I hear that people think the pod is too big, etc… He was tiny and yes, the pod looked big on him but we went ahead and got it anyway. It’s a great product but does take some getting used to. Specifically, it takes about 4-8 weeks to get all your settings correct, it takes a while to figure out where the best spots on your kids body it works the best, etc. .Compared to a traditional pump, the pods convenience trumps it every time. We’re in a CGM study at Stanford and the biggest pain is having to have my son carry around the controls in a pouch around his waist. I would think having to do that with a traditional pump would really stink. Those controls (we call it the “pager” are heavy and bulk and annoying).

The beauty of the pod is that if you are a very active person, and believe me, my 3 year old is VERY active, the pod is great. We’ve had it rip off once (when pulling him out of a high chair at a restaurant when he was 2). If you put it on properly, it sticks great. In fact, it takes a bit of work to get it off.

I find that many CDEs who aren’t familiar with the OmniPod have negative things to say about it when they really have no experience using it or having many patients who use it. They are used to traditional pumps and don’t really understand how to use the OmniPod. Call your local OmniPod rep and have them come out - you’ll find they are very supportive and will help you with anything you need. I’ve had great customer service with them.

Regarding your daughter’s size, we put it on Will’s bottom (top part) and also on the back of his arms. We’ve never used the tummy but I have a friend whose daughter is a few months younger than Will and she uses it there all the time. He doesn’t even notice that it’s there. He’s never tried to pull it off, it’s never just fallen off, etc. If it does fall off, it’s probably because it wasn’t put on properly in the first place. You just need to wipe the area with alcohol and it will stay put.

You are making a great decision going with the OmniPod. That said, look up my post on Tips & Tricks, many people added great comments on how to use the OmniPod to it’s full potential. With anything, there is a learning curve, but believe me, once you get up and running, you’ll be amazed a what a great product it is.

Good luck!!