Heading into the light soon!

JOY To The World! Happy Winter Everyone – Tis the season to be jolly!! I am more likely to offer up some folly and fun. It’s too early. I never eat December snowflakes. I always wait until January. – Lucy van Pelt

I am not a real fan of wintertime but I do manage to keep busy and find a reason to smile. The shortest day is almost over and done (December 21 is the first day of winter and the shortest day), so we are heading into the light soon! Thank goodness for sweaters and mittens, right?

According to the Farmers Almanac (and yes I do subscribe to this old time gig) the winter forecast for 2015 will be more shivery and shovelry. The moons will be amazing this year so plan to look out and up and enjoy them -
January 15th Full Wolf Moon

February 4th Full Snow Moon

March 16th Full Worm Moon

Now is the time to get those seed, bulb, and flower catalogs out and start planning your harvest and your colors. I will be filling potholes, collecting the last of the leaves that have not been raked and making compost – cuz we all know compost happens! It is also time, if weather allows for getting out and cleaning out the terra cotta pots and saucers, and do one last gutter cleaning. And for fun and to get ready for the living to return home I will check the birdhouses and get them ready for the new renters, We offer Cheep Cheep Rents and Free Tweets in our ‘hood.

I wish you Seasons Greetings and Happy Holidays. May your gifts include Peace, Love, Health and Happy for the last of this year and the entire next one. Be well 

385-snowcrystal.jpg (73.6 KB)

Happy solstice and a return to the light!

Thank you! I know it's a few days early to bring up the topic but when it's dark before dinner and I have to come inside I end up reading, writing, and pondering stuff.

I have to scoff at the idea that today is the "first day of winter", whoever put that calendar together must live pretty far south (I'm in Alaska, so most everyone is south of here though), its been winter around here for months already!

Today about 30 people came out for our local Dawn-to-Dusk run in which we "celebrate" the solstice by running (I walk) from dawn at 10:58am to dusk at 2:40pm (with breaks and hot tea and lots of casualness, so not for 3+hrs straight through). Your "dark before dinner" comment made me laugh, and I am at this point dreaming of when it might be dark just before dinner and not say, right after lunch. I'll pretend starting tomorrow that there's a little bit more light, although it'll be another month before its a notable difference.

Cheers to more light though, regardless of what time of day it arrives!

386-20141221_121730.jpg (343 KB)

Haha, that's a fun Idea, to run until the sun sets…
here in Switzerland, it stays bright longer, but the sun sets early nevertheless, or at least where i grew up. the Sun would set there at 2pm due to the mountains in front. now that i moved out i still had sun until 5pm!! beautiful sunset i saw…
I am so happy that the days are finally getting longer again, i don't really like darkness...